Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Marriage License

This may be a silly question.  I am getting married in Northern California but I live in Southern California.  Do I need to get the marriage license from the city that we are getting married in or, since it is all within the state, can I get it in my home city?  Logistically it just seems easier to get it a week or two before we head up north.  But I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get myself in a mess of trouble.
Thanks 

Re: Marriage License

• Where I'm from, you have to get it in the county you're married in. Call your county and ask. I think it's usually wherever the ceremony is taking place.
  • It depends on the state. 

In NJ if you were a resident of the state then you could go to your local registry.  If you were from out of state it had to be done in the county where you are getting married.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • It depends on the state. In PA (where we got married), you can get your marriage licence in any of our 67 counties and it's valid in any of the counties.

We got it in the county where we were living (and where our officiant lives), even though we were getting married seven counties away. We did that just because it was easier. In PA, there's a three-day waiting period, so we filled out our initial paperwork online, turned up at the register's office and picked it up.

We got married on the Sunday of a holiday weekend, so our priest filed the paperwork on Tuesday, and we got our official marriage license in the mail a week or so later.

My only advice would be get the licence as close to you as possible, just because if you need certified copies or whatever, it's easier to drive there to get them.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I'm pretty sure you can get it in anti California county as long as the ceremony is performed in the state.
  • I live in California, too. I was just having this conversation yesterday with a co-worker who is getting married in March. You can get the marriage license from any county. However, it needs to be filed in the same county where you got the license, and it needs to be filed by the officiant. So, if you're bringing your officiant up from SoCal, get it in SoCal. If your officiant is in NorCal, get it in NorCal so your officiant doesn't have to travel to SoCal to file it. Also, make sure both you and your future husband can both go get the certificate; you both need to be there to pick it up.

*The only difference is if you're getting a confidential marriage certificate (only if you're already "living as spouses" and you don't want it as a public record. I think this kind is more expensive, too). In that case, you must get the certificate in the same county that you marry in.

Here's the official info:
    http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Marriage Info to Officiants Website.doc
  • Thank you for the information that is very helpful!  Since our officiant is in Northern CA, we will get our license up there (it is cheaper anyways!) I had thought it would be less stressful to get it down here the week before, but we have a few days up there before the wedding when both of us will be up there.
    Thanks
  • Check with the state laws on time frame though. Some states have a waiting period requiring you to get your license minimum of so many days prior to when the ceremony is going to be performed (think of all the divorces that could save if Vegas had that...lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards