Snarky Brides

Juvenile initials on everything

This might be an unpopular opinion, which is why it's going on the Snarky Brides page.... what is with the initials on everything bridal? I haven't worn my initials on a necklace since I was in 4th grade. It just seems juvenile. (I've been looking at bridesmaids' jewelry - don't worry, not as their gift)

Re: Juvenile initials on everything

• I don't care for initials either. I've always found them a bit pretentious.

Of course, I got FI a pair of cufflinks for Christmas with his initials on them. So I'm a bit of a hypocrite there.

Anniversary
  • I don't mind say, one nice monogram necklace, or a charm for my charm bracelet which has one on it.
    But I wouldn't really want anything else!
  • I am not a fan of the initials on everything trend.  One piece of jewelry would probably be fine.  But this reminds me of those name necklaces that were a trend when I was in middle school.  I was so jealous at the time I didn't have one.  But seriously, why do you need a necklace that declares your name for the world to see?

Although, one of Fi's family friends has her name tattooed in script right in her cleavage.  So obviously some people love having their name everywhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I don't like initials or names on jewelry, but I do have my initials on my lunch bag for work. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My best friend gave me a necklace once that had my first initial on it. We have the same initial for our first name and she got herself one too. I have to admit that mine is at the bottom of my jewelry box. 
    *shrugs* I don't really understand the trend either. I think its okay on things like luggage or something that you need to recognize as yours but other than that I don't get it.
  • JCBride2014, I remember that trend!!!! And there were the rings, too. I remember I saved up for months to buy my own name chain smh. I actually still have the name plate, the chain itself broke. Mine was so obnoxious, too. 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I am not a fan of the initials on everything trend.  One piece of jewelry would probably be fine.  But this reminds me of those name necklaces that were a trend when I was in middle school.  I was so jealous at the time I didn't have one.  But seriously, why do you need a necklace that declares your name for the world to see?

Although, one of Fi's family friends has her name tattooed in script right in her cleavage.  So obviously some people love having their name everywhere.

Yup not going to lie I definitely saved my money in junior high to buy a chain with my nameplate, that I wore with my giant hoop earrings and brown lipliner. My high school was majority Latina so I wanted to fit in! I also have my name tattooed on my back....of course when I got it I was 18 so I was all "I'm proud of who I am and everyone should know it!!" Ten years later I'm like yeaaaa maybe that wasn't the best idea hahaha.

But nowadays, I don't own anything with my initials. FI and I each have a big initial above our side of the bed but I'm just about over that and ready to take them down. Will likely replace with wedding pictures after the wedding :)

• Not really big on initials...but FI and i have decided to engrave each other's initials into our wedding bands...actually it was FI's idea.  Planning to put his initials and the date into mine and he will put my initials (maiden name) and the date into his.  I like it.  But no one else will see it really.
  • I gave DH a set of cufflinks engraved with our initials as a wedding gift, but otherwise, I don't own anything with my initials on it.

I can see the appeal for things like luggage and lunch bags, because it's easy to spot them that way. Otherwise, no thanks.

One of DH's relatives gave us a hand towel that has our first initials joined by an ampersand. Not sure that we'll ever use it, given that the embroidery makes it scratchy and unpleasant to use.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • I'm not a big fan of initial items, though, I do have a monogram necklace I plan on wearing after the ceremony. When I change my last name, we'll have the same initials, and I think that's funny. :) 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • jenna8984!!! Ugh, that was sooo me in junior high/ high school. I'm Latina, so I was all proud Latina with my big curly hair [or slicked to the side in a big curly ponytail. Or blown out straight], with my big gold hoops, name plate, lip gloss with the brown liner. I also went to catholic school, so I would wear my uniform with the tan timberland boots . SMH. My grandma had this pic of my dad and I from when we went to visit her down in Florida and I look just like the description above, except in casual clothes [I believe I have a Baby-Phat tee in the pic]. Luckily I never got any tattoos, I can only imagine what I would have gotten at that age lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• @pinkcow13 At least you ARE Latina- I was just a wannabe white girl hahahah. We would have been best friends for sure....FI hates that I still own my Timbs....it's like the one ghetto thing I refuse to give up.

• I have a locket with the initials of my nephews' names. There is a picture of each inside of it. I don't have anything with my own initial though. I think that is a bit silly.
  • lmfao @jenna8984 - we def would have been best friends! I actually currently don't own any Timbs, but I think I will buy myself a pair soon. They are awesome boots in this winter weather (my cute furry boots SUCK), and sometimes I like to add a little fun ghetto flair to what I wear ;)
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I just don't like initial overload.
    My door mat has my first initial on it. (For the condo I bought myself, woo!) I also had a first initial necklace that I lost in the gym locker room. I was bummed about that. I love Sex and the City and I always liked the Carrie necklace. I think that's why I like a few things with personalization.

• I don't have any monogrammed stuff, and I'm not a fan of the trend.  I know my name, my friends know my name, telling new people my name isn't much of an inconvenience, and I think my initials are pretty ugly compared to all the other cool ways you can decorate an article of clothing or accessory.  
  • thisismynickname - I actually started wearing my name plate again after I saw that Carrie bought it back in SATC [love that show, till this day]. Mine was kinda obnoxious though, compared to hers since I got mine as a teenager lol
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• My initials are getting screwed up through marriage. I have lovely triple initials and FI is ruining it. I may never buy stuff with initials on it for myself or anyone else ever again. It's just too sad.
  • Actually this is something that has kind of annoyed me while planning - allll of the darn monograms!  My FI is from China and never bothered to Americanize his name.  In China you say the family name first and the individual name second.  This is something that has been a pain in explaining to everyone many, many times - even some of his friends don't know because he doesn't make a big deal of it.  So when I see a monogram my brain explodes.
  • My step mom LOVES to buy monogram stuff. She has already asked what my monogram will be after we wed. I don't mind it, I wouldn't buy it for myself, but it makes her happy. I do love personalized stationary though, it's great for thank you notes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards