Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Purchasing Affordable Grooms Attire for Not-Very Formal-Wedding

We're thinking that we might just like to go ahead a buy FI's clothing for the wedding.  We're wanting something like the pictures below--a nice pair of dress pants and a vest that matches/coordinates with a white button up and tie. Not super casual but not very formal either.   By buying it, we can get something that fits well (it seems like the rental pants are made of parachutes and FI is a really skinny guy) and could be reused in the future if he needs to wear dress pants some where.

I'd love to hear your recommendations on reasonably priced places to buy these (I'd like to spend less than $300--preferably less than $200 on the pants, vest, and button up)--and specifically any brands or clothing lines that make nice, slim fitting dress pants.

TIA

Re: Purchasing Affordable Grooms Attire for Not-Very Formal-Wedding

• Options
    Your fiance might look into having a suit made to measure. A Proper Suit is one company that does this. The price point is above what you mentioned (around $800 on the low end, I believe), but I am of the camp that, unlike just about everything else wedding-related, the groom's suit is actually an investment. A well-made, custom-tailored suit that looks great will last your fiance many years and many wearings.

I don't love the waistcoat (vest) without jacket trend for weddings. In my opinion, it only looks good with a very informal outfit, e.g. jeans. With dress pants, I think a solo waistcoat looks silly at best and waiter-like at worst. Of course, this is not to say that the gentlemen cannot leave their jackets draped over their chairs to let loose on the dance floor late in the night! But for the ceremony, a full suit is more appropriate.
  • Options
    We're doing a similar look, we haven't decided if they'll wear jackets or not, but we also will be purchasing and not renting. I would try department stores, Macy's and JC Penney usually have good deals. Or try Men's Warehouse.
  • Options
    My husband is also quite slim and has good luck with pants from J. Crew and Banana Republic.
  • Options
    You might be able to have a pair of pants tailored in.  Just look in department stores.

Anniversary
  • Options
    We've got some J Crew and Banana Republic outlets nearby--we'll definitely look into getting it there.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I would recommend a dark sports jacket with grey or khaki colored pants.  This is the recommended attire for less formal weddings.  You will see lots of photos of grooms wearing a tuxedo without a jacket in the magazines, but this is for after the ceremony, not for the actual wedding.  A vest is an accessory to be worn with a two piece suit or tuxedo.  It is not a substitute for a jacket.  The jacket can be removed after the ceremony if it is hot - just like in the magazines.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards