Snarky Brides
Options

Opposite of bridezilla- Guestzillas?!

So my friend sent me a text that she just got married privately by a JP and sent a picture of the two of them toasting wine glasses. I am so thrilled for her. She just posted it on facebook and I'm shocked....at least 5 family members (can tell by the last names) commented with sad faces and comments like "we wanted to be there, aaaw why did you do that, is there going to be a reception at a later date, we wanted to party with you" etc. I can't believe people are that self centered that they want a big party for a wedding that's NOT theirs!! Like how rude that you're basically telling her what she did isn't good enough! 

Re: Opposite of bridezilla- Guestzillas?!

• Options
    How rude.  Same thing goes for guests who demand alcohol at dry receptions, etc.  Just be happy for the couple!  They don't owe you a party if they got married privately.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Unfortunately, rudeness can be a two way street.  I think it is of the highest degree of importance to take care of your guests properly.  I ALSO think being a polite guest is equally important.  I attended the wedding train wreck from Hell in November and knew it going in.  Since I agreed to go, I acted like I would if it was not a train wreck.  It was my BFFs daughter and BFF is still in tears over the whole thing.  (and it is totally understandable why she would be).  Her daughter thinks her wedding was awesome.  Her guests sure don't think so, but to the best of my knowledge we all acted in a very polite manner.
  • Options
    kmmssg said:

Unfortunately, rudeness can be a two way street.  I think it is of the highest degree of importance to take care of your guests properly.  I ALSO think being a polite guest is equally important.  I attended the wedding train wreck from Hell in November and knew it going in.  Since I agreed to go, I acted like I would if it was not a train wreck.  It was my BFFs daughter and BFF is still in tears over the whole thing.  (and it is totally understandable why she would be).  Her daughter thinks her wedding was awesome.  Her guests sure don't think so, but to the best of my knowledge we all acted in a very polite manner.

What happened?!
  • Options
    I'm sorry that the couple's families are being rude like that. I would understand if their parents were upset but I don't think cousin, aunts, uncles, ect should be making those comments.
  • Options
    kmmssg said:
    Whoa, spill it, we need to hear this story!!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    JaniV123JaniV123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    a friend of mine got married in a rush with her hubby's family and her mom sister and bff. No one else knew or anything. She got so much sh*it from family members and other friends because they were not invited, because they did not tell anyone they were getting married, etc. 

I found out because her mom send me pics and I was thrilled! They did a civil ceremony and are planning their religious ceremony for next year. We are incredibly happy that they are doing things which ever way they want

ETA: They are basically doing a vow renewal but with a religious ceremony

• Options
    That is the saddest thing ever.  No wonder your friend is in tears. G sounds completely awful and it sounds that their daughter has a tough road ahead for her.
  • Options
    That is the saddest thing ever.  No wonder your friend is in tears. G sounds completely awful and it sounds that their daughter has a tough road ahead for her.
    Yeah, I think you hit the nail exactly on the head.  Not only are we worried about him creating such a divide between her and her family, but if and when it all falls apart, B is going to be super devastated and embarrassed.
  • Options
    @kmmssg, I'm with @chibiyui; I appreciate the cookies, but I need a drink. That is one of the saddest things I have ever read on TK. I would never bash another religion, but I think G missed a few lessons in the Good Book -- like honouring thy father and mother, like respecting the elders, etc. I am so, so, so sorry for MOB and FOB and B, because when this falls apart, it's going to be ugly. She will be devastated, and embarrassed, and shamed. And I don't mean she should FEEL ashamed, I mean that G and his church will shame her for her failing marriage. She is in my prayers.
    @hisGirlFriday - thank you so much.  B needs the prayers.

FOG and I carpool to work everyday.  We think this is going to  morph into something where her pride is on the line and she will dig her heels in.  EVERYONE told them to slow it down but they refused and when she figures out what is really going on with his control she is going to be sooo embarrassed.

G's church isn't bad, but he used it as one of the tools to gain control.  MOB/FOB are deeply committed Christians and FOB is head of the household - BUT he does nothing without the wise counsel of his wife and partner.  He values her wisdom and respects her as his equal partner.  They talked to B about her husband being the head of the household but that she must NOT make herself a doormat and that she had a vote on their life and how things go.  I can tell you that G thinks what he says goes, and B is burying her head in the sand and going along with it.

Our biggest fear is them getting pregnant.  B is the breadwinner by a mile in this relationship and she doesn't make much at all.  

I do appreciate the offer of prayers.  She truly needs them.  So do MOB and FOB but they are sticking close by one another, working through this, and praying an awful lot.  They are good beans.

Oh - and I seriously needed a drink after writing that!
  • Options
    Wow that whole story is incredibly sad. I think your friends (MOB & FOB) handled it amazingly...if I presented my parents with the same situation they probably would have said you're being stupid so you're on your own. I know you are always supposed to support your children in their decisions (and I don't have kids so it's hard to say) but I find them saints for being able to support this disaster of a relationship. 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Wow that whole story is incredibly sad. I think your friends (MOB & FOB) handled it amazingly...if I presented my parents with the same situation they probably would have said you're being stupid so you're on your own. I know you are always supposed to support your children in their decisions (and I don't have kids so it's hard to say) but I find them saints for being able to support this disaster of a relationship. 
    @jenna8984 - it became painfully obvious to my friends that if they wash their hands of the situation G will gain control more rapidly and they won't see her.  They knew keeping their mouths shut and staying as close as they could with her was their best option.  But...nothing like finding out you need to feed 200 people with 2 weeks notice!  They are awesome.
  • Options
    Wow, @kmmssg, my prayers are with your friends and their daughter. What a royal mess. I can't imagine how helpless and frustrated her parents feel - like losing a daughter even though she's only a mile away.

And for B to feel like a husband who controls but wont provide is acceptable is probably the saddest thing. 

I think there is more than one way to be unfaithful for an eventual divorce. Here's hoping that G realizes God probably wont take too kindly to His name being used in vain or that B can become a strong woman in her own right and hold out for a husband who is faithful to his vows to her.

Prayers and a virtual drink headed your way.
  • Options
    @PDKH - thanks!  It's a good thing FOG stays focused on his faith because he is a some -degree blackbelt in Tai Kwon Do and he scores "expert" when he goes to the rifle range.  :)

My friends reared their girls to be strong and independent, to be smart with money, to take care of themselves.  Their mom (MOB) was very independent and established before she married FOG.  They were not raised to depend on a man for everything and to be doormats.  We are just praying and trying to maintain lots of friendly contact so one day, if B decides she needs to leave, there are plenty of people she can turn to.
  • Options
    @kmmssg That whole story makes me so sad. Even if it wasn't very good, it was so great of her church to pitch in and try to fix the situation.
  • Options
    To be completely honest the saddest part of that story, to me, is that B is still with this guy.  I get that it's important to work on a relationship.  But being controlled by your SO is not something you "Work on," ever.  I know everyone has different definitions of a "Happy" relationship, but what I consider a universal requirement, is that if you ever ask yourself "Am I comfortable expressing myself and being who I am?" the answer better be yes.  It doesn't sound like B would honestly be able say yes to that.  

Also, I would never bash anyone for their religion-  I am not religious myself, but I believe that anything that inspires you to be a better person is great, and if religion makes you happy and inspires you to be a good person, that's beautiful no matter what that religion is.  But given that I appreciate religion for its ability to inspire people to be good, I have to say I can't stand religious people like G- When you use religion as an excuse to act entitled or treat others poorly, that's not ok.  TBH I think it's offensive to the religion you follow when you use it as an excuse to justify your own selfishness.  It's supposed to be sacred, not a tool to get what you want.
    @HaileyDancingbear - I could not agree more with your post.  I know she is with him because she is very insecure in herself and (I think) is afraid to rock the boat because she will be alone.  To a point of "brain-washing lite", I think there is a huge problem here.  They were at her parents house before the wedding with her younger sister there.  He was making eggs and B said she wanted some cheese on them.  He told her she didn't need the cheese (silently inferring she needed to watch her weight).  She said "but I want cheese!"  He told her no, and she gave in but her sister could see she was quite upset.  When we got a glimpse of that little scenario we knew the situation had the potential to get much worse for her so we do what we can to keep an open dialogue and relationship with her.

I seriously hate running into the both of them because I have to turn on sappy sweet charm with him when I really want to wring his neck.
  • Options
    kmmssg said:
    To be completely honest the saddest part of that story, to me, is that B is still with this guy.  I get that it's important to work on a relationship.  But being controlled by your SO is not something you "Work on," ever.  I know everyone has different definitions of a "Happy" relationship, but what I consider a universal requirement, is that if you ever ask yourself "Am I comfortable expressing myself and being who I am?" the answer better be yes.  It doesn't sound like B would honestly be able say yes to that.  

Also, I would never bash anyone for their religion-  I am not religious myself, but I believe that anything that inspires you to be a better person is great, and if religion makes you happy and inspires you to be a good person, that's beautiful no matter what that religion is.  But given that I appreciate religion for its ability to inspire people to be good, I have to say I can't stand religious people like G- When you use religion as an excuse to act entitled or treat others poorly, that's not ok.  TBH I think it's offensive to the religion you follow when you use it as an excuse to justify your own selfishness.  It's supposed to be sacred, not a tool to get what you want.
    @HaileyDancingbear - I could not agree more with your post.  I know she is with him because she is very insecure in herself and (I think) is afraid to rock the boat because she will be alone.  To a point of "brain-washing lite", I think there is a huge problem here.  They were at her parents house before the wedding with her younger sister there.  He was making eggs and B said she wanted some cheese on them.  He told her she didn't need the cheese (silently inferring she needed to watch her weight).  She said "but I want cheese!"  He told her no, and she gave in but her sister could see she was quite upset.  When we got a glimpse of that little scenario we knew the situation had the potential to get much worse for her so we do what we can to keep an open dialogue and relationship with her.

I seriously hate running into the both of them because I have to turn on sappy sweet charm with him when I really want to wring his neck.
    I've never had any friends be controlled by a SO to the extent that B is, but I've definitely had friends end up trapped in horrible relationships for that exact reason.  My MOH was stuck in one and there were times where I was pretty much yelling at her to quit being so friggin hard on herself.  She's a beautiful, amazing person and it was killing me that she couldn't get that through her head because of one asshole.  I think eventually, between seeing a therapist and spending more time with her close friends, she managed to build up the confidence to say "You know what, I deserve better" and ditch him.  She was miserable for a little while after that but now she's happier than she ever was with him.  
    I'm not sure if it's your place, or someone else's, but I think someone needs to have a serious talk with B about how some of the stuff G is doing is not ok and that she is a wonderful person who deserves better.  Obviously it shouldn't be phrased as bluntly as I put it, as being too blunt could cause her to shut you down.  And before this serious talk, I think B needs to spend a lot of time around people who are going to build her up.  Insecurity is why control in a relationship happens, and she needs to build confidence in herself.  She needs to be reminded that she is loved regardless of wether or not G is around.  
    I know the situations are different, but that's basically what I did for my MOH.
  • Options
    kmmssg That is so sad and I've seen it happen all to often.   Also, would never bash religion, because I am a hardworking Christian and know so many hardworking Christians, that I know it isn't the religion.  This is using religion as an excuse to do what you want. It is terrible. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kmmssg That is so sad and I've seen it happen all to often.   Also, would never bash religion, because I am a hardworking Christian and know so many hardworking Christians, that I know it isn't the religion.  This is using religion as an excuse to do what you want. It is terrible. 
    You are absolutely right.  We found out this week they are expecting a baby.  He is telling her what hospital they will use and day "we'll see" when she said what doctor she wanted.
  • Options
    @kmmssg

Oh, good grief!  What a mess, and I feel so bad for this young woman and her family!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    2 things:

First, if it were REALLY CLOSE family, like parents or someone else always super close to you, then I can definitely understand being hurt.  They love you and want to witness that, and elopements can be hurtful. Of course, a couple still has every right to marry the way they want to, elopement or not.  But they also have to deal with the fact that some people might be upset.

Second, even if people are hurt, facebook is NOT the place to post that.  If you see the photos on facebook, don't write a negative comment on it.  Facebook is not the proper venue.  Give the person a phone call when the time is right to both congratulate them but also express your sad feelings (again--only if you're REALLY close to them--otherwise, just drop it).
    yes, to all of the above. FB is NOT the place to share news with family. Anytime I share news on FB, it is only being heard for the first time by random folks from high school AFTER the important people find out.
  • Options
    @kmmssg

Definitely T&P for your friends and their daughter.  I can only imagine with her being pregnant that it is going to get worse =(
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    kmmssg said:
    You are absolutely right.  We found out this week they are expecting a baby.  He is telling her what hospital they will use and day "we'll see" when she said what doctor she wanted.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that poor kid!
  • Options
    Good gravy of course he'd get her pregnant because now she for sure can't leave him. Dear lord I feel bad for b and her parents more for the parents because b made her choices, but I definately feel for you and your friends. Kudos to the parents for stepping in like that!
  • Options
    kmmssg said:

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards