Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Hostess?

I don't know much about etiquette, but I was told that I need to have someone, preferably two to be hostesses. When it was explained to me, it made a lot of sense (handing out programs, reminding guests to sign the guestbook...). The problem is, I can't think of anyone, let alone two people, to fulfill that role. They are either bridesmaids already or have other obligations that weekend. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Re: Hostess?

• Options
    This is not necessary, and rude to ask somebody to do this without paying them for their work. 

Place the programs on a table for the guests to pick up as they come in, and put the guestbook in a prominent place. If you're concerned about your guests forgetting to sign the guestbook, ask the DJ to make an announcement. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kristyv1 said:
    I don't know much about etiquette, but I was told that I need to have someone, preferably two to be hostesses. When it was explained to me, it made a lot of sense (handing out programs, reminding guests to sign the guestbook...). The problem is, I can't think of anyone, let alone two people, to fulfill that role. They are either bridesmaids already or have other obligations that weekend. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
    What you were told was wrong.  No one needs to hand out programs or man the guest book or direct guests where to go.  If you absolutely want someone to do these things then hire a DOC. And this is thing is not an honor it is a job and a sucky job at that.

FWIW, I didn't have programs but have been to plenty where the programs were placed on a table or in a basket or in each chair so that guests can grab one as they walk in.  And for my wedding, I placed our wooden chest next to a little sign I made that said "Please take a moment and sign our keepsake wedding chest." and threw down some sharpies.  People were more then capable of figuring out what to do from there.

• Options
    Nope.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I just had my adult nephews who were ushers hand out the programs and the DJ reminded people a few times during the reception for people to sign our guest book.
  • Options
    kristyv1 said:
    Thank you! It was actually my DOC who told me I needed them, so I was really confused. I kind of thought she might do that, but she said she needed to be behind the scenes. I love the idea of setting up a table/basket. I do agree that that job would suck. I feel so much better. Thanks!
    Behind the scenes?  Sorry but your DOC sucks.  On the actual day of your wedding, once guests start arriving a DOC should be out in the open helping any guests that may need it and direct them where to go if they are confused.  They shouldn't be behind the scenes when things get going.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    You're paying your DOC. She should do what you want her to do and not assign tasks to your family and friends. She should know better than to assign tasks to your guests.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards