Registry and Gift Forum

Stand mixer question; classic vs. artisan

I was very generously given a KitchenAid Classic (K45SS) stand mixer by my future mother-in-law when she got a spiffier one this past Christmas. However the very first thing I had planned on putting on my registry was a Kitchenaid Artisan and then some of the spiffy attachments right after that! I have had my heart set on an Artisan for awhile now but a free stand mixer is a free stand mixer! I don't know how old the Classic is but is it worth registering for the Artisan or to just work with the Classic? 

Re: Stand mixer question; classic vs. artisan

• Is there a particular reason you really wanted the Artisan?  I just ran a comparison between the 2 on the kitchenaid website and the Artisan does have a higher wattage, but apart from the bowl size and comfort handle on the Artisan there really doesn't seem to be a ton of difference.

As for the wattage, I will say that I have a Kitchenaid Ultra Power, which is between the 2 models you're talking about, and I actually find that the higher wattage isn't a huge deal, at least for me.  In fact, I find the highest speeds on it to be a bit too much.

The smaller bowl I don't think is a huge hinderance.  I've made double batches of fluffy things like meringue and whipped cream just fine in the 4.5 quart.

All that being said, do you think your FMIL will be hurt, offended, or think you ungrateful if you register for the Artisan?  To me, that would be something to consider.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes, that is definitely something I would consider before registering for it but no, I honestly don't think she would be. But I may consider buying it separately on my own just to be safe, if I decide to go that route.

Thanks for looking up those numbers and giving me your personal experience. It wasn't really the speed or bowl size but the attachment assortment that was associated with the Artisan. But now that I think about it, unless it is an attachment related to the bowl size, like the ice cream maker, there shouldn't be a reason they wouldn't work on the Classic, would there? 

Hm...
  • No, I think most of the attachments are made to fit all of their stand mixers.  You might even be able to buy the larger bowl.  I could be wrong about that though.

On the other hand, homemade ice cream is amazing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have the ice cream maker attachment for the Artisan and it actually doesn't work that well. You're better off getting a separate appliance if you want to make a lot of ice cream.

The Artisan isn't worth it if you already have the Classic, unless you really have your heart set on a pretty color. All the attachments fit all the models.

I wish I had the Professional bowl-lift model instead of either of the tilt-head models, but I use my mixer A LOT for heavy-duty stuff like kneading dough and grinding meat and the bolts in the head have loosened.

• I got a classic from my FMIL for a shower and LOVE it.  (she insisted we open it so we could bake a cake that night... haha)

Personally, I wouldn't risk hurting her feelings and registering for one so close to when she gave one to you.  I'd use it for a while, and then maybe in a few years upgrade for yourself.
  • If she gave you her old mixer bc she got a nicer one I doubt she would be offended if you registered for and received a nicer one. How old is it? Is it on it's last leg? If you want a nicer one then register for it. My sister fought she wanted a nicer one until she realized it wouldn't fit in her cupboards.Think about size, weight and storage when selecting one. Luckily DH uses ours about once a week, so it sitting out it's an issue. But they are space hogs - sooooo big!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• emmyg65 said:
    I have the ice cream maker attachment for the Artisan and it actually doesn't work that well. You're better off getting a separate appliance if you want to make a lot of ice cream.

The Artisan isn't worth it if you already have the Classic, unless you really have your heart set on a pretty color. All the attachments fit all the models.

I wish I had the Professional bowl-lift model instead of either of the tilt-head models, but I use my mixer A LOT for heavy-duty stuff like kneading dough and grinding meat and the bolts in the head have loosened.

I have this version and I wish I had the head-tilt model.  Whenever I am mixing something (mainly batters for baked goods) I find it hard to scrap down the sides and bottoms since the head doesn't tilt up.

• emmyg65 said:
    I have the ice cream maker attachment for the Artisan and it actually doesn't work that well. You're better off getting a separate appliance if you want to make a lot of ice cream.

I have this version and I wish I had the head-tilt model.  Whenever I am mixing something (mainly batters for baked goods) I find it hard to scrap down the sides and bottoms since the head doesn't tilt up.
    I have the Professional bowl-lift model and love it.  The ice-cream maker also works great with my mixer.  Pasta attachments are going on the registry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• vt&dt said:
    I got a classic from my FMIL for a shower and LOVE it.  (she insisted we open it so we could bake a cake that night... haha)

Personally, I wouldn't risk hurting her feelings and registering for one so close to when she gave one to you.  I'd use it for a while, and then maybe in a few years upgrade for yourself.
    I think this is your best option OP. This way you can see if you *need* the Artisan, and you'll also be able to see if the 5 qt tilt head or the 6 qt. bowl lift will be better for you.

I have the 6qt. bowl lift, and while I love it, I haven't made anything yet that *needs* the bowl lift. I mainly do cookies and cakes, neither of which are heavy duty batters. I'd like to start making my own bread though, so the 6 qt. will/should be better for that then the 5 qt.

Anniversary
  • sarahtrg I think you might get different opinions if you more clearly stated she gee you her old, used mixer. That is what you are saying right? I think people I seeing Christmas and thinking she bought you a new one. Just a suggestion :)
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I have a classic and an artisan. Honestly, other than the bowl size I haven't seen a huge difference. I do think that you can buy a larger bowl for the classic. It's wider and more shallow than the artisan one though. Kitchenaid mixers are one of those things that really should last for a long time so if you already have one and there is other stuff that you and FI could use I wouldn't register for one. I would use the classic for awhile and see if it really fits all your needs. If it doesn't then maybe you could just purchase an artisan later. 
  • I have a classic and an artisan. Honestly, other than the bowl size I haven't seen a huge difference. I do think that you can buy a larger bowl for the classic. It's wider and more shallow than the artisan one though. Kitchenaid mixers are one of those things that really should last for a long time so if you already have one and there is other stuff that you and FI could use I wouldn't register for one. I would use the classic for awhile and see if it really fits all your needs. If it doesn't then maybe you could just purchase an artisan later. 
    Definitely.  The one I have was my Great Aunts and she died about 13 or 14 years ago and had already had for about 2 years before that.  It still works like a charm.

Definitely.  The one I have was my Great Aunts and she died about 13 or 14 years ago and had already had for about 2 years before that.  It still works like a charm.
    I second the bolded my mom still regularly uses the one my dad bought us when I was little. So it is going on 16 years and it is in great shape. 
  • Yeah I have my mom's old classic - that thing is literally from 1982.  Still going strong, and it refuses to die.  She got a lift to upgrade, and honestly it's more of a pain than the classic because it's just a bigger thing to clean.  I can only think of maybe 3 times in the last 5 years when she's needed the larger capacity, and she could have always just done a double batch on a smaller mixer in that instance.

I guess motor power maybe makes a difference?  Maybe?  But I mean - you're going to use it to mix batter, not concrete.  There's only so much horsepower you need to do that.

So as an owner of a 32-year old classic stand mixer, I can tell you it will continue to perform very well.  Register for other things and someday if you want to upgrade, it would make a nice birthday or xmas gift from your H.  But see how much you use it first.  I use mine maybe once or twice a month, a bit more than that during the holidays.  It's not enough for me to want to clean and store anything bigger.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone for your opinions; yes it is her old mixer that I have not a new one given to me for Christmas. But I don't know how old it is; I'd have to ask her to find out. I think I will stick with the Classic and see if I *need* the Artisan down the road.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards