Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I hope that this is okay v. International Guests and Visas

Hello ladies! I dont really think this is that bad, but I wanted your input before I do anything.

I have several family members that are coming to our August 10th wedding from Israel, and Nicaragua. They will need invitations in order to apply for their visas. My venue provides the invitation suites and my fiance and I are going February 1st to pick out most of our "things" like invites, linens, center pieces, etc.

So, Im not sure how long the wait time for their invitation suites will be, and I fear that it may take too long. I have a business associate who does invitations and printing. I think I may ask him ( to pay of course) to print me about 15 invitations so that I can send them abroad.

How does this sound?

Re: I hope that this is okay v. International Guests and Visas

• Options
    I would talk to your international guests and ask them when they would need to put in for their visas and then send them their invitations accordingly.  I think in this situation it is perfectly fine to send those invites ahead of the typical timeline because of the need for visas.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    I agree with Maggie. I would probably opt to send them a cheaper version in additional to the real invite or 2 if cost is not an issue. I would want them to have their invite for planning, to bring with them and for a keepsake - in case anything happens to them in the visa submission process.
    GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    I would talk to your international guests and ask them when they would need to put in for their visas and then send them their invitations accordingly.  I think in this situation it is perfectly fine to send those invites ahead of the typical timeline because of the need for visas.
    I spoke with them, and I will need to send invitations with date, time, address etc. Just like a real one (lol) I will also need to send a letter to my Aunt pretty much saying that they are the only family that would be able to come from Israel.

One of my cousins is a higher risk (per Israel) because she just got out of the army and doesnt have a stable job. My aunt has a business, a mortgage and shes almost 60 years old so they arent too worried about her.

I will go ahead and make these invitations and send them out as soon as possible. I didnt think there was anything wrong with it, but I still felt that I needed to check.

Unfortunately, STDs wont really do the job.
  • Options
    d2va said:
    I spoke with them, and I will need to send invitations with date, time, address etc. Just like a real one (lol) I will also need to send a letter to my Aunt pretty much saying that they are the only family that would be able to come from Israel.

One of my cousins is a higher risk (per Israel) because she just got out of the army and doesnt have a stable job. My aunt has a business, a mortgage and shes almost 60 years old so they arent too worried about her.

I will go ahead and make these invitations and send them out as soon as possible. I didnt think there was anything wrong with it, but I still felt that I needed to check.

I hope your family members don't have too much hassle with their visas and are able to attend. Good luck!

• Options
    I agree with Maggie. I would probably opt to send them a cheaper version in additional to the real invite or 2 if cost is not an issue. I would want them to have their invite for planning, to bring with them and for a keepsake - in case anything happens to them in the visa submission process.
    GL!
    Thanks, I am inviting all of my family over there of course, so I am going to address them accordingly, and still send the real invites later!

Im getting excited :D
  • Options
    d2va said:

I hope your family members don't have too much hassle with their visas and are able to attend. Good luck!
    Ahh!! Me too! My aunt and 5 of my cousins are planning to come, so I really hope everything goes smoothly!!!

Thanks
  • Options
    Wow, I hope they can still come! I work for a University that attracts a lot of international students and I often have to issue letters for visa purposes. Every country is different.

Check to see if the invite is even enough. You may just want to write a letter that has their names and the wedding details on it. I would hate to see the visa process get held up because you didn't provide enough info from the start. IMO, it is better to provide MORE information than you think you may need.

They (the people issuing visas) may see the invite as being transferable, so a letter may be more useful.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    Wow, I hope they can still come! I work for a University that attracts a lot of international students and I often have to issue letters for visa purposes. Every country is different.

Check to see if the invite is even enough. You may just want to write a letter that has their names and the wedding details on it. I would hate to see the visa process get held up because you didn't provide enough info from the start. IMO, it is better to provide MORE information than you think you may need.

They (the people issuing visas) may see the invite as being transferable, so a letter may be more useful.

Yep! Thats why I am going to send invitations as well  as one letter to the family, and then one letter to the consulate for each person, or couple.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

I have a quick question, what should I put on the letter to the embassy / consulate and how should I address it?
  • Options
    d2va said:
    sarahufl said:

I have a quick question, what should I put on the letter to the embassy / consulate and how should I address it?
    Can you visit the embassy website and see if there is information? I honestly usually just address it to whom it may concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards