Ohio-Columbus

Help with alcohol

Hi all! I'm having a small wedding, roughly 85 people, and the ceremony site is allowing us to bring our own alcohol. We are going to have one bottle of red wine and one bottle of white wine at each table but I'm not sure how much more alcohol we should get!

Is it better to buy multiple types/ bottles of beer or buy two barrels of beer?

How many bottles of wine will I possibly need if only 65 people are drinking?

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

Re: Help with alcohol

• Buy wine that you like so you can enjoy the leftovers. 
    I would get 2 or 3 cases of each red and white.
    I would get bottles so leftover can be drank vs a keg going bad. Or get one keg and then bottles in case it runs out, just keep poring them into cups.

Your caterer should be able to offer advice. You might want to keep the wine bottles at the bar - each bottle will pour 4 or 5 glasses. So what if everyone wants the same wine. You will also have more waste bc of bottles on tables that were not fully consumed.

Consider getting champagne :-9

Get case discounts at grocery stores and world market, etc. 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• The first question depends on your guests. Do you have the kind of guests who drink nothing but Miller or Bud or the kind that like other things? If it's the first, you probably can do the two kegs, otherwise, I'd get the multiple types/bottles. For my friends, I went with I think three different beer types, Miller, a seasonal, and Yuengling (we might have had a fourth, I do not remember). If it's any difference, I always like bottles better than a keg because I'm less likely to spill when serving it.

For wine, they say 1 bottle for every two people, so, 33, but, I think that sounds high when you have beer as well. Again, it depends on your crowd- will they drink more beer or wine? If they're more beer people, you can probably get away with one bottle for every three people. If you buy too much wine, you can always save it and drink it or give it out as gifts. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a slightly smaller wedding and ended up with a lot leftover even though we followed the generally recommended amounts from websites which was something ridiculous like one or two drinks per hour per person. I think that may have been a little high, even considering drink abandoment, but  where I think where we really went wrong is not realizing that due to how many of our friends and family were  traveling and needed to get on the road or catch a really early flight the next day, they would not be drinking as much as they might drink at other weddings. So, I would make sure to look at your guest list carefully and try to put people into drinker/non-drinker or beer drinker/wine drinker/non-drinker categories rather than just using the total amount of adults.
  • We have similar numbers and here is what we are doing (wedding on Saturday).

8 bottles of red wine
    8 bottles of Pinot Grigio
    8 bottles of Reisling
    8 bottles of Sparkling Wine

96 bottles of beer, Yuengling, Yuengling Light and Sam Adams Boston Lager

2 bottles of Vodka
    1 bottle of Rum
    1 bottle of Whiskey

We probably have too much for our crowd, but I'm terrified of running out.  Other than the red wine (which neither of us like in general) we bought stuff that we would eventually drink.  We may have enough wine to last us for years...  lol
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • You can get some awesome amazing wine from wineries out in Napa and Sonoma and they only charge a penny to ship if you buy a whole case :)
  • Thanks so much for your helps ladies! Very sweet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards