Honeymoon Discussions

ASHEVILLE, NC

So, we're thinking of moving here in  7 years or so. I've only read/heard about it and I'm in love with everything I've heard. We are used to heavy snow and humidity and I'm told this is neither. Our plan is to take trips there during the next few years and if we like it, keep going back at different seasons to see if we like them all.

So questions are - what's the worst part of the year and why?  Does it get humid?

If you were going to the area, what towns would you visit to check out for living in addition to the city? I see on the Ashville website "Black Mountain, Weaverville and Woodfin".  Not sure if those are good areas or not.

What would you do for entertainment on a trip? (Note, husband uses a wheelchair)

Any other insights and suggestions are helpful!
imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: ASHEVILLE, NC

• I live in Charlotte...I've never actually been to Asheville, but I have some friends that went to school there.  Actually FI is having a bachelor party there...they have recently opened up several breweries in the area so they are going on a long-weekend brewery tour. i have no other details but if you're into beer that might be fun!

I don't know how humid it gets there...it can't possibly be as bad as it is in Charlotte since it's in the mountains, so i wouldn't worry too much about that (unless you are extremely sensitive to humidity).

Haven't seen you around in a while, how was the honeymoon in Disney?  I just got back from my bachelorette party there.  I successfully drank around the world at Epcot and then went with my sister to the Magic Kingdom where apparently the photographers got over wo dozen pictures of us visiting Mickey...it's hilarious.  the other girls didn't make it to the afterparty.  i'm surprised that i did actually.  Our parents are going to really treasure the framed picture of the two of us trashed in front of Cinderella's Castle that we're going to give them for Christmas this year. :-)

• Yeah. I lurk a little if someone links me some interesting articles. I've been working 65-80 hours a week since November so my free time has diminished. Disneymoon was amazing, thanks for asking!!!  It was an absolutely fabulous idea. I took a lot of people's advice here on the restaurants.

The funny thing is that we had 9 days. I thought we were going to go all over the place and make it to Universal and Kennedy and all these little places I bookmarked, but with 2 exceptions, (went to a Sox playoffs game and went to the Exotic Experience and I sat with and fed kangaroos and had lemurs crawling on me) we just stayed on Disney properties and didn't even get to everything. I was sooo sad to leave.  We wore our ears most of the trip.

LOL treasured memories!!
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • My family and I would go up to the Asheville area once or twice a year when I was growing up. We mostly stayed in Montreat (just outside of Black Mountain) and really enjoyed BM. There were some great shops and my favorite old fashioned ice cream shop. There was also a pretty cool art center. And they host the Lake Eden Arts Festival too; I think it's a twice yearly thing. We typically went in early fall/early spring and it was usually in the 60's during the day, so quite pleasant. One of my favorite trips to the area though was when we had Thanksgiving at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. It is just a gorgeous place and they had this absolutely huge gingerbread house competition that was a lot of fun to look at. And now I want to take a trip back there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards