Attire & Accessories Forum

What's the recommended timeline for alterations?

Just curious.  Just called a shop my SIL went to and she had no problems when I mentioned my wedding date but I was assuming I was late.

Thanks!

Re: What's the recommended timeline for alterations?

• My dress is in already but they told me to call about 2 months before the wedding to make an appointment for my first fitting (for around 6 weeks before)
  • Great, thanks Jenni! I'm a little over two months before so I am not late then.
  • I think I went for my first fitting about 6 weeks before.  It may have even been closer to a month before.

Typically alterations start, at the latest, 2 months before because you don't want to keep having go back over and over again if your body decides to change a lot on you.

• I have my first fitting appointment tomorrow, but my wedding is still 3.5 months away. They wanted it done before their busy season in April. But I have yet to lose all my holiday weight! And with my diet and exercise, I know I'll lose more. Sure, my dress is a corset, but I still want it to fit nice. Should I cancel and reschedule or just go with it and deal with it later?

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I had my first fitting about 7 weeks before the wedding I think, and my final fitting was 3 weeks before.  If I had lived closer (she was 4 hours from me) I would have gone back one last time week of just to be sure, but all was fine on the wedding day so it worked out.

Anniversary
  • I made my appointment for next week, a little less than 2 months from the wedding.

Thanks everyone!
  • I have my first fitting appointment tomorrow, but my wedding is still 3.5 months away. They wanted it done before their busy season in April. But I have yet to lose all my holiday weight! And with my diet and exercise, I know I'll lose more. Sure, my dress is a corset, but I still want it to fit nice. Should I cancel and reschedule or just go with it and deal with it later?

I think it is kind of shitty that they are pushing you to get your alterations done early just so that they won't have to deal with it during their busy season.

I would keep your appointment but don't be afraid to have to schedule more if need be.

• My fittings were 4, 3, and 2 weeks out.  Your dress shop should be able to accommodate you any time before your wedding though...them telling you they want it done before busy season is no way to treat a customer.
  • I knew it was weird when I scheduled it. I'll go today and make another appointment in April. I want it done by late April/early anyway since I'll have enough to deal with as it gets closer. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • My first was 2 months out & then the final was 1 month prior to my wedding date & I took it home that day. My weight didn't change much over the last month, I had a corset back so it was easy to adjust for any weight change. My weight was going up & down within a 5 pound range.

•  

I have my first fitting appointment tomorrow, but my wedding is still 3.5 months away. They wanted it done before their busy season in April. But I have yet to lose all my holiday weight! And with my diet and exercise, I know I'll lose more. Sure, my dress is a corset, but I still want it to fit nice. Should I cancel and reschedule or just go with it and deal with it later?

my wedding is during prom season, but they still me to wait until 6 weeks prior for fitting...they just told me to call about 2 months prior to schedule the appointment, since it will be the busy season.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards