Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Indian wedding timeline

Hey gals,
I am trying to figure out the best time line for my upcoming wedding in July. The wedding is in July in Anaheim.ld  I am thinking we can have the ceremony outside at around 5:30 (because it wont be too hot and it will still be light out) and then move into the cocktail area at 7 and start dinner at 8:15. Keep in mind that my fiance and I have to change and take photos in this time (makeup and hair for me will change as well, this is part of the Indian wedding tradition). I am afraid we will not have enough time. Originally we wanted to have the ceremony in the morning and then the reception at night but the posses the issue of feeding everyone another meal (which is not in our budget). Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Indian wedding timeline

• Options
    ttandmt said:
    Hey gals,
    I am trying to figure out the best time line for my upcoming wedding in July. The wedding is in July in Anaheim.ld  I am thinking we can have the ceremony outside at around 5:30 (because it wont be too hot and it will still be light out) and then move into the cocktail area at 7 and start dinner at 8:15. Keep in mind that my fiance and I have to change and take photos in this time (makeup and hair for me will change as well, this is part of the Indian wedding tradition). I am afraid we will not have enough time. Originally we wanted to have the ceremony in the morning and then the reception at night but the posses the issue of feeding everyone another meal (which is not in our budget). Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!
    Your ceremony will take 1.5hrs?

I can't speak to Indian traditions, but if your cocktail hour starts at 7pm and then you want to begin serving dinner at 8:15pm, then you have an hour and 15mins to change and do your pictures. . . do you think that will be enough time for you?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    A traditional Hindu ceremony lasts about 4 hours so we are cutting it down to 1.5 hours. I am not sure if an hour and fifteen is enough time. Basically we have to both take pictures after the ceremony in our wedding outfits (we will try to take most of them before) then we have to go back and change i.e. wash face, re-do makeup, re-do hair then take more photos in the reception outfits. 
  • Options
    Is there any way you can take all of the ceremony outfit pictures before? That way you only have to change and take pictures. And can you change your hair and make-up slightly without completely redoing it? It seems like that would take the most time.

The main thing here is that your guests need to be hosted while you're elsewhere. As long as they have food and drink, you will be okay for an hour or so. Some people push cocktail hour as long as an hour and a half, but IMO if dinner is already going to be 8:15, I wouldn't make it any later, since people will not have eaten since maybe 4 at the absolute latest in order to make the ceremony.
  • Options
    ttandmt said:
    A traditional Hindu ceremony lasts about 4 hours so we are cutting it down to 1.5 hours. I am not sure if an hour and fifteen is enough time. Basically we have to both take pictures after the ceremony in our wedding outfits (we will try to take most of them before) then we have to go back and change i.e. wash face, re-do makeup, re-do hair then take more photos in the reception outfits. 
    If you don't think it will be enough time, I think you should skip re-doing hair and make-up and just change your outfit and start into taking pictures.

I would not push dinner back any further.  Even with apps starting at 7pm, people are going to be quite hungry since your ceremony is starting during a meal time.  Your guests will likely have had a late and hopefully large lunch, but you can't count on that.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards