Wedding Woes
Options

Dad doesn't want me to invite my Mom...

So, here is the situation. I am not very close with my mother. She and my father divorced when I was too young to even know what was going on. It was a very horrible breakup with very long court proceedings involving custody battles and a LOT of legal fees. My Dad ended up getting full custody of both my younger sister and I. We visited with our mother every other weekend and one night a week up until we were teenagers and had a bit more say, at which time we mostly chose not to visit much at all. My father remarried over 20 years ago and this woman spent most of her time helping my father to take care of us. I would not say that to me she represents a "mother" figure, more like a cool aunt. I feel like I have never really experienced a true mother-daughter relationship.
Fast forward to budgeting our wedding and discussing guestlist/financial contributions from family. My Dad has always intended to contribute a substantial amount, but he has always said that my mother would need to contribute as well, since she has in no way contributed financially to the lives of me or my sister EVER. Well, I knew this was never going to happen, though I did think maybe she would offer something (buy me a pair of shoes, veil, something not too costly). When we had the discussion with her as per my father's request, she firmly said that she could not afford it. Nothing, not even $1000, literally nothing. The ironic thing is that she is vacationing (alone) in Florida right now for three months to escape our cold climate. Of course it is her prerogative how she wants to spend her money, and many people get married without any contribution from their parents. We are very lucky, and if my Dad contributes what he has intended then the split would be about 1/3 him, 1/3 FI's mom, 1/3 FI and I. We truly do not NEED any contribution from my mother, but my dad insists that she needs to pay for something if she wants to attend. Every time we see eachother he insists that she is not coming, though I have never agreed to that or let him think I ever would. We may not be close, but she is still my mom, technically, and I do not agree with not inviting her to the wedding. However I am worried how this decision will affect my relationship with my father and I'm not sure how to get him on my side on this. He has resorted to attempting to reason with FI and implore HIM to speak with my mom instead and attempt to encourage her to contribute. I know this is wrong, we don't even need whatever extra money she could provide, it's just the principle for my Dad. Is there any way I can resolve this situation without someone being mad/bitter with the final decision? I don't want any tension to arise on the day of the wedding.

Re: Dad doesn't want me to invite my Mom...

• Options
    Also, it is no one's business who else is paying.  You shouldn't have asked your mom for money and you shouldn't accept your dad bullying you into asking for money or not inviting your mom. If he continues to do so you need to turn down any funds he is offering. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The short answer is no. Your father is never going to be convinced that your mother should be able to come without paying.

Frankly, it's none of your father's business who pays what or how much or anything at all. 

If he's going to attach strings to his money -- i.e., you can't invite your mother unless she pays -- you need to be prepared to either reject his money and pay for the wedding without it OR accept his money and his strings. 

What's more important to you -- your relationship with your father or having your mother at your wedding? Which hill will you die on?
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Your dad is being a jackass.

Honestly, now would be a good time to say "Dad, this is my mother you are talking about".  If he continues to be a jackass, ti's time to say "Dad, if these are the sort of requirements that are in place for you to help host/fund our wedding, then I'm afraid that we won't be able to accept your help in paying for our wedding" and pay your own way.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

maybe you and dad should consider a family counselor. he is manipulating you so you are forced to get in between his and your mother's relationship. if he has a problem with mom, he needs to speak with mom, not put you in the middle. frankly, it's not really your concern what their relaitonship issues are. if you have issues with your mother, that is all your budren.

if you want to invite her, then you need to be frank with dad about what he is doing and how it makes you feel. it's not your place to ask mom for money in order to secure her invitation. and like GBCK said - if his money comes with the terms that your mom MUST pay something if she wants to come, then you need to tell dad youdon't need his money.

and if it affects your relationship, so what. your father's manipulation has already tainted your relationship.

• Options
    Thank you for weighing in on this, I know it's a very difficult subject due to such an awkward family dynamic. I definitely have no intention of not inviting my mom to the wedding, and have told my dad that many times. If it comes to it I am prepared to not accept his contribution if that is the stipulation he requires, however, I don't think he will go that far with it. The "this is my mom you're talking about" thing really doesn't apply in this case because I agree with most things he says about her as I've experienced them first hand (she has admitted to me she feels her own brothers are more family to her than my sister and I, right from our birth). I have no intention of asking her for money or attempting to badger her into it and have told my dad this as well. I think he truly believes that if she is told she cannot attend without making a contribution it will change her mind, but I honestly don't think this is even close to being true. In my mind she could really care less, based on her financial priorities throughout her life and neglecting to consider myself or my sister as part of those priorities. I've accepted this fact, I think my dad needs to as well. He probably still cannot get over the fact that he married someone who believes she does not have one bit of financial responsibility toward her children. But hey, we all make mistakes. Live and learn.
  • Options
    WzzWzz member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

you're having a better time with letting go of mom's wrongdoings than your dad is. kudos.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards