Attire & Accessories Forum

Dress alteration help!!!

I am getting married in September, only 8 more months!   She ordered the dress to my bust size, which was a 14, and told me that my waist was a size 6.  I have been working out in trying to tone up for the wedding.  My bust size is still the same, but everywhere else is getting smaller.  I'm worried that when they do the alterations the dress is not going to look the same and/or it will need to be altered too much and they won't do it.  The dress is strapless with a corset back.  When I initially bought the dress, my saleswoman told me I would have to get the sides altered even if I didn't lose any weight, I'm just wondering if I need to be freaking out in case this dress doesn't work out.  HELP

Re: Dress alteration help!!!

• Don't worry.  Women are very rarely the same size at their bust, hips, and waist.  Wedding dresses should be ordered according to the largest size, which for you was your bust measurement at a 14.  Seamstresses take dresses in all the time and can work wonders.
  • My bust size was a size 20W, my waist was a size 12/14.  I had no problems with alterations.
  • erinlin25erinlin25 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited January 2014
    I had to order my dress a size 8 for my bust and everywhere else I was a 4-- I had no issues and was much happier having room for the bust and altering it everywhere else.  especially with a corset you would have plenty of room for alterations.  But do not start alterations until 6-8 weeks before the wedding. Your body may change a lot in 8 months so do start alterations until you know you are the size you will be...and as soon as you get fitted for alterations make sure you maintain and not lose anymore!  Also keep in mind wedding sizes tend to vary between designer so their 14 may not be an everyday 14.

talk to the people you ordered the dress from, tell them your concerns. They will be able to tell you if there is something to worry about, but definitely do not order "too small" now in case your size changes. Wedding dresses typically have at least 2 sizes of alteration room before it would cause major changes in the design.  Does the store you purchased it from have an alterations person you can talk to before you order the dress?   They will be able to calm your fears so you do not stress for the next 6 months

Anniversary
  • Thanks ladies!  I guess I'm just nervous it won't turn out the way I picture it.  But then again we have most of our planning done, so I need something to worry about :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards