Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Statement Piece Necklaces. Yay or Nay

Opinions welcome.

My bridesmaids are wearing floor length, eggplant (dark purple), chiffon dresses. My 'colors' are greys and purples with pops of turquoise. I was thinking about getting the bridesmaids some turquoise statement piece necklaces.

Yay or nay?

Re: Statement Piece Necklaces. Yay or Nay

• Options
    I have to agree.  While it would probably look great, it's not ultimately worth it imo.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I hate big gaudy necklaces but that's just me, I don't wear jewelry lol 

• Options
    I'm not a fan of them at all. I think it takes away from looking at them to staring at a huge necklace. And turquoise isn't something many people would wear again.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like statement piece necklaces, but they have to be the right kind and quality or else they just look gaudy and cheap.

I'd let your BMs choose their own jewelry.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    My BMs wore floor length eggplant chiffon too. I wanted them to have chunky necklaces but not quite statement, and was able to find them at Kohls. They were a silver color and did not stand out. I think the turquoise sounds pretty and I'm wondering if there's another way to incorporate it? In the bouquets somehow?
  • Options
    Opinions welcome.

My bridesmaids are wearing floor length, eggplant (dark purple), chiffon dresses. My 'colors' are greys and purples with pops of turquoise. I was thinking about getting the bridesmaids some turquoise statement piece necklaces.

Yay or nay?
    Ehhh, I'd let them wear whatever jewelry they want.  If you really want them to wear it, it's fine....as long as it's not part of their gift.
  • Options
    I agree with the bouquet idea. You could do turquoise ribbon around them or even use those jewel bead or brooch accents scattered in with the flowers. If they want to play up the turquoise they can find a unique piece they would love to wear, something that makes them feel beautiful. 
  • Options
    I'm personally not a huge fan of big jewelry. I'm petite and it kind of overwhelms me. I'd ask your bridesmaids if they like the idea and go from there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I love turquoise jewelery, and with the grey and purple it sounds beautifull. But ultimately I agree with the others. I think  lot of people simply won't notice the jewelery on them!
  • Options
    I like statement jewelry but not on me.  I actually hate wearing necklaces because they just bother me.  So even if I liked the piece I would probably never wear it.

• Options
    PDKH said:
    Unless you just really really want them, I say nay. Some of your ladies may not love it or wear it again, and I think you'd be better off saving your money for their bridesmaid gifts instead. 

Besides, no one really cares what jewelry the bridesmaids are wearing. They're too busy looking at the bride!

What about bringing it in with their bouquets instead?
    Yep, already put it in the bouquets :)

Just thought the necklaces might be fun. And no, not as their gifts :)
  • Options
    could be fun, I agree but am also on the bandwagon that as a petite girl I do not like them on me personally. So would I wear it for you, sure but would I wear it again--No. If it is in your budget go for it, but just keep in mind they may never wear them again so may or may not be worth your money.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I bought a statement necklace for my wedding day (it was $20 on sale, so I figured I'd take the risk). I'm not sure whether or not I'll wind up wearing it. It's really pretty, but it does look a bit cheap close up. I'm going to get in my dress and take pics with it and with another, subtler necklace and see which I like better. I like the statement necklace look right now, but maybe it's just trendy and I'll say "What was I thinking?" Later, you know?
  • Options
    Statement piece necklaces are a current fad.  I doubt if anyone will be wearing them ten years from now, and they will look dated in your wedding photos.  Classic pearls are always a good choice, and they are a timeless bridal tradition.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Love the statement pieces! It will really make your wedding standout and be unique, especially the turquoise. Very Bohemian!
  • Options
    Having said that, these pearls here are gorgeous! They certainly will be looking at the bridesmaids if they are wearing these. (Which is perhaps a reason to avoid them!)
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    Statement piece necklaces are a current fad.  I doubt if anyone will be wearing them ten years from now, and they will look dated in your wedding photos.  Classic pearls are always a good choice, and they are a timeless bridal tradition.
    This is ridiculous.  Everything is a fad.  One one shoulder gown I am sure will look dated in 10 or 15 years.  My Mom's wedding dress from the 70's looked dated when I looked at her pictures.  There is no way to not look dated a decade or more from the time you get married.  That is just the nature of fashion and wedding dress styles.

I am under the belief that you should wear what you love now so when you look back on your wedding pictures you smile and remember the person that you were back then.

• Options
    I agree with Maggie. I'm sure everything in a way is going to look "dated" 10 years from now...

I would ask your BMs what they are comfortable in. Maybe the necklace would be a go, or maybe you and your ladies could agree on a hair accessory, bracelet, etc....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards