May 2014 Weddings

Gift for FI

So, I'm creeping up on 100 days (already?!), and I thought it would be cute if I started keeping a little secret journal, starting from Day 100, and write one thing I love about FI every day... Even if it's something stupid like, "I love that you get up and adjust the thermostat or get me a snack from the fridge when I'm too lazy to get off of the couch" haha. And then on our wedding day, I can give it to him as part of his gift (he also wants another guitar. Sigh).

Is anyone else planning a special wedding gift for their FI?

Re: Gift for FI

• akopitzkeakopitzke member
    First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    I'm giving my fiance a little book I started writing in after we got engaged, pretty similar to your journal. I try to write every day but I'm terrible at remembering sometimes! either way, it will be full by the time our wedding gets here as it had less pages than the number of days we had to go! 

That and these personalized cufflinks. He's going into law school and I figured once he's an attorney he could use some fancy cufflinks - plus they'll look great on our wedding day :)

Also! I'm having his wedding band engraved - but he doesn't know this yet. It will be a surprise on our wedding day.
  • I just looked it up...we're at 101! I love the idea @pumpkinsandturkeys of doing the journal. For FI's and my first year together I made a book that had a list of things we did during each month of our first year ("We met." "You first said 'I love you' at C's Christmas Party." "You surprised me with a trip to Harry Potter world and put up with me running around like a 10 year old." etc...) and then added tickets, notes, etc. I would LOVE to do something like that for him for the wedding! Thank you for the idea! But I need to get on it asap!
    Anniversary
  • I am giving mine journals. I started writing to him when we first got together, for some reason I just knew I should, and then I'd give it to him on our wedding day. So that was four years ago. The journals reflect on our ups and downs, there was a time when we started hating each other and being nasty, and although some of the entries are really aweful, it shows how far we've come and the amount of stuff we've gone through to get where we are. Love prevailed in our relationship. I am also giving him two jars. It as something he told me when we first got together. You have two jars, you start filling up jar 1 the first year of your marriage with pennies every time you "do it". Upon the second year you start taking pennies out of jar one and put them into jar 2.The idea is to end up emptying all the pennies from the previous year into the new year(alternating two jars)and if need be adding pennies to the total.That way youll always have a goal to reach, to help keep your marriage fun and spicy. You always hear about couples who lose that spark down the road.I'm sure he will be shocked that I remembered that.
  • Thanks!! I like it to. It adds a little bit of adventure and excitement. I'm going to spray the jars with chalkboard paint and tie pieces of chalk around it so at the end of the year, we can tally up the pennies adn write it down, year by year. I was even thinking about using quarters or dollars instead of pennies, and after ten years or something like that, we can take all the quarters and use them to take a vacay or anniversary dinner, something special for our efforts in our marriage.
  • @shrekspeare It was actually my second time going, and I'm SO excited to go back when they open up the new section! I live only three hours from Orlando (and soon it will be two!) and so it's a fun day trip! Yeah, I'm a HUGE HP nerd...I wasn't allowed to have it as part of the wedding "theme" (my parents would have skinned me) however, we're using books as bases for the centerpieces and so all of my HP books will proudly be on display! (Btw, we even got wands! I got Ginny's and he got Harry's...bless him.)

@dluberts I love that idea as well! I think it would be an awesome thing to do to! Thank you :)

Anniversary
  • Love the journal idea -- so cute!  My gift for FI is not exactly set in stone yet.  I thought it would be super fun to surprise him at the wedding reception with his college mascot (Sparty).  Unfortunately, you have to put in a request and I won't find out if he's coming until mid-March.  Sooo fingers crossed he comes bc FI would be so surprised.  If that doesn't work, I need a back-up plan...maybe a watch :)
  • I'm planning on doing a boudoir shoot and making it into a photo book for FI. And i'll probably get him something small as well.

Anniversary
  • I...have no idea! FI is pretty practical, and the only thing he wanted (nice watch) I got him for Christmas. I really need to think on this.
    Anniversary
  • I have a journal I wrote when I was 16 with my hopes and prayers for my future hubby. I've been meaning to add more to it, so @pumpkinsandturkeys you gave me a good reason to. I love the 100 days idea.

Also, FI is a drummer & has always wanted to custom make his own snare drum. I'm going between either doing it behind his back with his best drummer friend's help or I'll get a giftcard and let him to it himself.

• I have to admit, I'm kind of jealous that you've all been writing to your FI's all this time.  I LOVE writing, idk why I didn't think of that.  I'm coming up on the 100 day mark next week... @pumpkinsandturkeys, you inspired me.  I am going to look for a journal this weekend.

I am also planning to buy FI a cologne - I read on pinterest about scent being one of the most powerful ways to bring back a memory and I thought that could be a nice way to remember the wedding day.  I was going to buy myself a perfume but FI is so crazy about the one I wear now, I feel like it would be weird to show up to the wedding smelling like something else.  I had been all over Sephora and Ulta trying to find something with a wedding-ish name, but I hate all of them - Eternity, One... I finally found Kenneth Cole Vintage Black, which I really like, so it might have to be that.  

And I thought about cufflinks too- I found little Fighting Irish ones (he's obsessed with Notre Dame) but he's a blue collar guy and I honestly don't think he'd wear them again until our kids got married... Not that that's a good reason not to buy them.  Just thinking.
  • @ohxhi I'm going to buy a journal this weekend, too! Happy shopping :)

• FI keeps making noises about wanting a pocket watch (I have no idea where this has come from but whatever lol).  Yesterday I had to tell him not to buy one cause I needed a gift for him (he has been known to be impatient and just purchase things for himself).  So he knows what he is getting, just not what it looks like. I found some great ones on Etsy that can be engraved, and I want it to say "No matter how much time passes, I'll always love you" and then the date of our wedding under that.  And I know its a Pinterest thing, but I'm thinking of having a note in it saying "I'll see you at 3:30".  I think he will really like it and I want him to have it on our wedding day, so I'll probably give it to my FFIL to give to him. 

Also, I too am coming up on the 100 day mark (two more weeks!) so maybe I'll do something similar as @pumpkinsandturkeys.  I'll have to keep my eye out for a nice journal. :)
    Anniversary
  • @Kristen625 -- we've been agreeing/so similar on so many things, I'm starting to think we're twins! Haha

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards