Chit Chat
Options

(XP) drinks, cupcakes and favors

Our venue is set up to where you bring everything in. We're planning on supplying a few different pop choices, water bottles, beer and basic liquor choices even though most will probably bring their own selections (this is just a family tradition not because we're telling them to bring their own). We're planning 100-125 people and quite a few of them are kids/teens. How do we know how much to get of each? For the pop should we do cans or 2-liters? Should I "hire" someone to handle drinks/making drinks or the guest just grab or make their own?

Also, I seen someone posting about Cold Stone catering and while they are a bit out of budget, our caterer offers an ice cream bar. Is an ice cream bar and cupcakes too much? And can the ice cream bar be considered the favor?

Re: (XP) drinks, cupcakes and favors

• Options
    I think ice cream and cupcakes is fine. Cake and ice cream is a fairly common combo so... As far as favors go, you don't need to have them.

I would definitely suggest hiring a bartender for the night to serve the liquor just for CYA reasons. They will have proper licensure and would be held responsible for any mishaps that could occur. Where I'm from, if you provide the liquor and someone has an accident then you are considered to be liable. Its just less of a headache to let the bartender worry about such things and ensure guests are not endangering themselves or others.
  • Options
    As for how much, I am not sure but I know that other posters can help you out.

I think cans would be the easiest and less messy route to take.  I also think it would be a great idea to hire one or two bartenders to man the bar and help with drinks.  Again having someone there will not only make things easier but less messy.

I have been to weddings that had ice cream bars along with their cake.  I didn't think it was too much because I love both of those things.  I am unsure how an ice cream bar can be considered a favor since favors are typically something that your guests can take home with them and enjoy at a later time.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Please don't "hire" a wedding guest to take care of the drinks. I don't know if that's what you're planning, but let your guest just be guests. Don't give them jobs to do. 
    I think you should go with cans. I have no idea how to estimate how many though. 

The ice cream bar sounds cools. You don't need to give out favors - they're not required. 
  • Options
    PolarBearFitzPolarBearFitz member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2014
    Definitely with PPs that you should actually hire a bartender to manage the drinks. Having 125 guests pour their own drinks sounds like a mess.

I love ice cream bars! So all for that idea but it wouldn't really be a favor.
  • Options
    Does it have to be an actual bartender or could I *hire* one of the guys from the fire dept I ran at to be in charge of pouring drinks and beer? I had talked to one of the guys that has done it as a side job for people that used the venue we're using.

Figuring it as a favor was more along the lines of we weren't planning on doing favors so could this just be an added fun gesture instead lol

@Climbingbrideny no worries I wasn't hiring or asking any of them, I meant have them pour or grab their own drinks. Like have a table set up with the drinks and ice and them grab whatever they wanted.

Our caterers offer soft drinks/water/cups/ice for 2.50 a person just was trying to think cheap because we could get 100 2 liters, cups, ice and water for about 150 and then also some cases of beer and stuff for mixed drinks all in the price of just drinks from the caterer.
  • Options
    @rwhite0123 - I would highly recommend a real bartender as they know how to measure alcohol and monitor intake of multiple guests. Just seems safer that way.
  • Options
    I would hire a real bartender for all the reasons that PolarBear stated.

• Options
    Alrighty then, I will hunt for a bartender :) thanks ladies!
  • Options
    I agree with hiring a real bartender. Where I live (Ontario), you need a special certification in order to serve alcohol to someone, so that you're aware of the laws regarding overserving, etc. I'm not sure what it's like where you are or if there are similar legislations, but it's best to go with a professional just to be on the safe side, like PPs said.

• Options
    I would say just use 2L bottles of pop- they are cheaper, I find you can mix better with them and they don't have time to go flat, unless you want to just hand out cans of pop and not mix drinks.

I would look at hiring a bartender- is there a local bartering school that you could hire a student from?

Look at this handout for amounts of drinks to get Keep in mind that its a guideline for a 3 hour event.
    http://www.bcliquorstores.com/files/attachments/weddingplanningguide.pdf

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards