Offbeat Weddings

Apparently I am a Charity Case????

My cousin had a traditional wedding. Traditional venue, bridesmaids, etc. Im not very close to her although we grew up together. We see each other maybe once a year at family events. 

Anyway, so I am going away to Napa for a private ceremony/honeymoon with my soon to be husband. We got engaged in December and are getting married in April.  We haven't sent anything out yet but we will send out invites for a family party.  I love BBQ and we have a nice 100 person banquet room in our high-rise building that we can use so thats great - we are doing a BBQ in the summer where ill have that meal and beer, wine, soft drinks, etc. Its casual and unpretentious and very much something we are excited about.  Also, my fiancé has a much larger family (his mom is one of ten kids!!) many hours away, so we;re gonna do another reception back in his hometown. My fiancé and his mom are splitting the cost of that out of town party and then I'm paying for mine (about what fiancé will pay for his half of their family party back home).  

We also wanted to do a separate party for our friends, so we're again renting the banquet room and instead of sit down dinner are doing more of a cocktail, booze oriented party for friends...my fiancé plays rugby so he's got a good 60 people he wants to invite along with all our other friends.

So that's what we're doing and we're happy with it. My aunt wanted to throw me a shower and i asked for it to me more of an engagement party, bc we don't want gifts at all.  

with all that said...finally to the main event...

my cousin messages me on Facebook and is going on and on about how i should have presents and how i "deserve" them and i shouldn't feel like i don't deserve them...... wtf??

then she, having no idea what our plans really are, says she heard we are going away to get married and says her dad "looks at me like a daughter" and if i need someone to give me a reception that her dad can give me the reception i "deserve"....again...wtf???

Sorry i am just venting bc I never talk to this girl and haven't spoken to her since I got engaged...I would love to just be like oh how sweet and get on with life, but I couldn't help but feel offended or something...something felt off...like, if i say i don't want presents, doesn't that mean i don't want presents??  Im 31 and my fiancé and i have lived together for 4 yeas - we cook a ton and i love interiors so we have EVERYTHING we need and the thought of registering for housewares just sounds like a giant waste. I don't get why if a woman says she doesn't want wedding presents its bc she must feel she doesn't deserve them????

and second, apparently if you don't have a traditional $30,000 wedding with a reception its bc you can't afford it but you desperately want someone to swoop in and give you one....

I thought about being polite and thanking her but i also need to start begin more direct so i was honest. I told her i don't want presents bc i don't want presents...that of course i deserve them and so does everyone else, but i don't want them, and that I'm a little insulted that other people think its ok to plan my wedding, that if she asked I would have told her what my plans are, which are to have a reception thats planned and scheduled that she will be invited to that I am excited about that I am paying for myself. 

I understand when people offer help, and are just trying to be nice, and I've had others do that and it just felt good...this wasn't like that...i can't really put my finger on it, and i mean i hope i didnt completely misread her. 

Im so mad...or just perplexed? or annoyed? i dunno. I know i shouldn't be but i guess i am just shocked at the odd tone of that whole Facebook message I got. 

Re: Apparently I am a Charity Case????

• Just let it roll off your back and if she persists then just ignore her and don't tell her anymore details about what you and your fiance are planning. The two of you are paying for it so you two have the final say and that's it.
  • Yeah, I hadn't spoken to this woman since we got engaged, bc we're not that close. she never once asked me what I was doing.  I later last night found out the cousin's similarly crazy mom had called my mom yesterday going on and on about basically how i need to do a wedding "properly" (that means your usual cookie cutter $30K wedding at a banquet hall) and being very nosy and pushy with my mom.  My mom kept telling her that we had the money to do it that way and it wasn't what i wanted and what i decided to do is something i am very happy with and the woman wasn't having it.

This lady was also saying that my sister in law was wrong for not throwing me a shower and my other aunt is "overbearing" for wanting to throw me a shower....wtf?!?  they're INSANE!!! I mean i knew that part of the family lived in a little bubble where everything should be done exactly like they do it in life or your wrong, i mean i knew that but i didnt think they'd take it upon themselves to go to the bride and mother of the bride without asking anything just out of the gate shoving their plans down our throats. 

yeah i will try to ignore them! I guess i was just so surprised it even happened. I am glad I was honest with her that it isn't her business and to stop planning my wedding....maybe she will go back and tell her mom what i said too and they'll butt out. 
  • It can be hard when family or friends are judgmental of your decisions. We've had a few people ask us why we're not being more traditional. I answer "We're doing what feels right for us," then take a deep breath and try to let it go.

I'm sorry you had a rough time, and it was very good of you to be honest with her from the beginning. Good luck keeping them out of them going forward.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks! I will try :)
  • People have their funny schemas about weddings. If it's not the way that they would do it, they have to fix it for you because SURELY you don't want something different from what they want!

I know it's easier said than done but try to just take it with a grain of salt and let it roll off your back. They're trying to help. I would just firmly say that you're perfectly content with things the way they are and try to avoid bringing up wedding stuff in the future. 
  • Thanks guys! Yeah its shocking how some people act :) i think the casual party we have planned will be fun and hopefully they enjoy themselves and see that you dont have everything exactly according to typical wedding protocol to have a good time
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards