Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Mexico all-inclusive resort

ffemt14ffemt14 member
First Comment
edited December 2013 in Honeymoon Discussions
I've looked at so many all-inclusive resorts & resort reviews my brain hurts. Any suggestions?  
Has anyone been to The Royal Sands Resort & Spa, good/bad?

Re: Mexico all-inclusive resort

• Options
    I have not.  But if I were you, I would make a short list of resorts that fit your budget and your interests, and then compare them on tripadvisor (if you haven't already done so).  Like any website that offers reviews, be way of single-review posters and take complaints with a grain of salt.  However, do look for patterns.  The big complaint that came up over and over on mine is that the resort was an hour and a half from the airport, and that while riding the shuttle to the resort, people had to look at third-world type surroundings.  Well yes.... I'm not sure what they were expecting.  If they had bothered to look on a map they would have realized that the resort was on the other side of the island from the airport.  And Jamaica isn't the US.  The lifestyle there is very different from ours, and frankly the country's economic climate has very little to do with the offerings of a nice resort.  I thought those comments were incredibly ignorant and pretty offensive, actually.

I was very comfortable booking my resort based on the positive reviews when the negative ones seemed pretty short-sighted and ignorant.  It worked out great for us.  You might find the same thing with your short list - read many reviews of 3 or so resorts, look for patterns in the glowing reviews and the complaints, and then see if the complaints are something you could live with.  I would not be able to live with damp rooms.  I would be able to live with a place that requires you to be up early to reserve chairs on the beach - I am naturally an early riser and would be up anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

What part of Mexico- east coast, west coast?

My mom is a travel agent and she always recommends Moon Palace in Cancun. However, I'd look at one like a Couples or Sandals that is adults only!

If you're not dead set on Mexico- she's sending us to her favorite place in Jamaica- Couples Swept Away. It's on it's own private 7 mile beach. The ones in Mexico include food and drink but that's it. This on includes food, drink, water skiing, scuba diving, catamaran sunset cruises, golf, etc!!

• Options
    I've heard amazing things about Secrets Maroma.
  • Options
    My FH and I got a groupon for a place called Grand Oasis Viva for 5 nights. Good deal! All inclusive and over 21. We haven't gone yet, but it sounded nice.
  • Options
    I've heard good things about the Excellence resorts. 
  • Options
    hoffse said:
    I have not.  But if I were you, I would make a short list of resorts that fit your budget and your interests, and then compare them on tripadvisor (if you haven't already done so).  Like any website that offers reviews, be way of single-review posters and take complaints with a grain of salt.  However, do look for patterns.  The big complaint that came up over and over on mine is that the resort was an hour and a half from the airport, and that while riding the shuttle to the resort, people had to look at third-world type surroundings.  Well yes.... I'm not sure what they were expecting.  If they had bothered to look on a map they would have realized that the resort was on the other side of the island from the airport.  And Jamaica isn't the US.  The lifestyle there is very different from ours, and frankly the country's economic climate has very little to do with the offerings of a nice resort.  I thought those comments were incredibly ignorant and pretty offensive, actually.

I was very comfortable booking my resort based on the positive reviews when the negative ones seemed pretty short-sighted and ignorant.  It worked out great for us.  You might find the same thing with your short list - read many reviews of 3 or so resorts, look for patterns in the glowing reviews and the complaints, and then see if the complaints are something you could live with.  I would not be able to live with damp rooms.  I would be able to live with a place that requires you to be up early to reserve chairs on the beach - I am naturally an early riser and would be up anyway.
    This!!  One of the hotels we stayed at in Italy had a one star review from a user because "all the TV channels were in Italian".  No shit Sherlock...

Definitely compare prices and amenities, reviews of the food/service, location, etc...and as always, be well informed and make your own choices of what you can live with or not.  
  • Options

i have been to sands-many times. it's a sister to our timeshare resort downt he street and a few of my famil members own at the sands. it's only AI to those who do not own there. we just returned this past saturday after 2 weeks there-and were at the sands a few times.

you can't go wrong if you get the large side of the units. they're not hotel rooms-more of villas. they have a bedroom, living room, full kitchen and huge balcony. there are also small sides of the units which are connected by those 2 way lockign doors which have a small balcony, beds and a small area with a mini fridge, microwave etc... the spa at the sands is outstanding. actually it's a gorgeous hotel and i have been a ton of times.

that being said-as far as an AI I probably wouldn't. they've just become AI to non-owners and from what I gathered while i was there last week many people were not happy with it. I'm not sure why exactly but that's what I heard.

i had booked the royal suites yucatan way south of cancun for last december but we didn't make it (see siggy) adn i'm still pissed about it. i would check that one out. we've also stayed at the royal side of the occidental xcaret which was great.

• Options
    Pepper6 said:
    One of the hotels we stayed at in Italy had a one star review from a user because "all the TV channels were in Italian".  No shit Sherlock...

LOL! This is hilarious and I see stuff like this all of the time in reviews. People complaining about things beyond the resorts control or really petty stuff. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards