Wedding Etiquette Forum

Possible best friend back out d/t money concerns

So I'm originally from Oregon but have been living in MN for 3 years. Our wedding is slated for June 22. We were going to have it in OR, had the venue booked and everything, but now for a lot of reasons from family drama to expense to time, we are considering moving it to MN but don't know for sure at this point. 

About a week ago I told my bff that I was hoping to have in the bridal party about this and she said it would be inconvenient but she'd make it work. Her brother is actually getting married in MN about a month prior so I was really afraid she wouldn't be able to hack it. She's finishing up at college and doesn't have much money.

She just texted me to say that she thought about it some more and doesn't think she can realistically make it. I'm not mad; I'm actually relieved that she's telling me this now and not later. But I REALLY want her to be there, so I'm thinking about offering to help with her ticket, possibly pay for all of it. Which isn't easy to do because we don't have a lot of extra money either, but more than she does at this point. Out of all my guests I knew she was the most likely to have a problem. 

We know each other really, really well (known each other since she was born, were neighbors, and then roommates in college) so I don't think I have to worry too much about offending her but I am looking for a tactful way to offer help for her to get out here if that's what we decide to do. I know sometimes people consider it rude to offer money, but I feel kind of obligated since I'm possibly switching stuff up on pretty short notice and right now a ticket from pdx to mpls is starting at $402. Obviously I can't do this for everyone but she is one of two people that are really important to me to have with me at my wedding. Idk what would you do?

Re: Possible best friend back out d/t money concerns

• If you can swing it I don't see why not. I have a friend who lives about a day's drive away and if there was a choice between her missing my wedding because of money and me paying for her, I would but that's because I love her like a sister and am really close to her. 

Make sure that your friend is okay with this though. Sometimes people may see it as charity and take it as an insult even though it isn't meant to come off that way. Just talk to her and ask about it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Agreed with PP. It's hard to be a student and have to budget, and I'm sure she hated telling you she might not be able to make it. Talk it out with her and let her know that it's not pity, but you really want her to be there. Let her make the call.
    eyeroll
  • I would also agree with the others here.  Sit down and have a nice chat about it, and tell her how much you want her there.  Then it is up to her to decide what to do.  I know personally I would hate to have someone spend a bunch of money on me like that, but in your situation I would do it.
  • I agree, sit her down and talk about it. If nothing else, she'll appreciate what you're trying to do, even if she isn't comfortable taking you up on the offer.
  • I think it's kind that you would like to pay her way to be at your wedding. Please just be understanding if she still declines. She may not be able to afford not to work in addition to the cost of the airfare/lodging/food. 

Personally, I am not okay with friends paying my way when I am short on money. It makes me very uncomfortable. I prefer not to attend dinners and events when I cannot afford them over having someone pay for me.
  • I like JellyBean's response. That said, is her birthday in the near future? Or anything like that? Personally, I'd pop a plane ticket in a birthday card, and send it off(well, online confirmation, JIC it gets lost).

That, or if you're super super close, send it in a "Miss You" card, and include a letter telling her that it means that much to you, that she's there. But in case there's something else going on, that she's not willing to admit right now, I'd make it a refundable fare.
  • I was preparing to do the same thing for one of my friends.  If you are that close I don't think it would be awkward - just really emphasize how important it is that she is there with you on the day you marry.

Very sweet of you - and I think expenses like this are worth it - who you are surrounded by is very important on that day!
  • ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    Cheetah2B said:
    I like JellyBean's response. That said, is her birthday in the near future? Or anything like that? Personally, I'd pop a plane ticket in a birthday card, and send it off(well, online confirmation, JIC it gets lost).

That, or if you're super super close, send it in a "Miss You" card, and include a letter telling her that it means that much to you, that she's there. But in case there's something else going on, that she's not willing to admit right now, I'd make it a refundable fare.
    I like this idea for the birthday gift but I wouldn't recommend it. You've heard about how people give inappropriate gifts and normally it's a gift that cost A LOT of money. It's the thought that counts but it still might scare the receiver. I would really just sit down and have a chat with her. 

I don't know if this is against etiquette but if she doesn't look like she is comfortable "taking" money from you, maybe you could offer up the solution of "If it really bothers you to accept this, what if you paid me back at a later date when you are more comfortable in your financial situation?" Like I said, I don't know if this is against etiquette or not so if someone could back it up or shoot it down that would be helpful too.

And like everyone said make sure to clarify that this isn't a gift out of pity but because you really want her to be there so you can share this special moment with her.
  • My bff originally said yes, but then realized financially it wouldn't work for her (we hadn't even gotten to the point to discuss dress budgets or anything). I had a serious talk with my now hubby about the situation because I was very upset about it for a few weeks (she wasn't truthful with me originally why she was backing out). We figured it out & I sent her an email that I really wanted her to be a part of my special day and we would like to offer to cover the expense of her dress for her. We talked things out and she was a BM which meant the world to me. All you can do if figure out if you can swing it, extend the offer, and see if she excepts.

If she does make it to your wedding, will she have a place to stay or will that be another expense for her?

• Thanks guys. I did talk to her, just simply said thanks for letting me know and if it came down to it i'd help her out. I think as long as we're moving it we will also move it to a saturday rather than sunday, which also helps her out. I think she can manage a hotel for a night or two ok (if not we'll find her a home somewhere), just the monster expense of a plane ticket was too much. 

It's a tough pill to swallow but I figure we were going to spend that much on each of our tickets getting out there, so 6 one way and half dozen the other.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards