Ohio-Cleveland

Conrad Botzum Farm

Has anyone been to a wedding there, or will be having thier own wedding there ? I am very interested in having my reception at the farm, but I am having a horrible time communicating with Maureen. If anyone has any information on the farm that you could share that we be so helpful. I am trying to decide if this is worth pursuing or not. TIA !!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Conrad Botzum Farm

• Jenjs4Jenjs4 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a hard time communicating with them too. After seeing it and seeing other barns in the area, it's not worth it. You can find something much nicer for the same price if not cheaper.
  • edited December 2011
    Would you mind sharing what other barns you looked at ? The thing that I love the most about Conrad Botzum is the big wide open field and the country feel of the area. That is one of the main things I am looking for in a reception location.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dclarke20dclarke20 member
    edited December 2011

My friend had bad communication with botzum farms as well, so she decided to go to brookside farm. They have been very nice and respond fast. Plus the bathrooms are much nicer.

• Jenjs4Jenjs4 member
    edited December 2011
    @dclarke20 do you know which caterer your friend decide to go with?
  • fruitnroo12fruitnroo12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you're having trouble with Conrad Botzum, here are some other ideas:

• Mapleside Farms (Brunswick, Ohio)
    • Sarah's Vineyard (Cuyahoga Falls)
    • Common Ground (Oberlin)
  • edited December 2011
    I went there, I had a few pics, may have deleted them not sure. I wasnt that impressd with them for the cost. I too am going for the barn.rustic/non-hall reception. I had a list of about 30 and we have beeked with American Wilderness Campground & Event Center. 

As for Botzum, its a one lance gravel drive that is hill-y, the barn is nice, but i dont think so for a reception, theres grooves between the old floor boardsm so heels may get stuck. Parking is in the grass, no lights, but part of the price is an attendant. This location is not handicap friendly. If your still interested in more details about this location, the location i booked, or any others that I looked into, shoot me an email Rachel.Julio@gmail.com :) 

• edited December 2011
    My friend had her wedding at Conrad Botzum and it was really awesome! She really liked the people there. I was a bridesmaid but dont know much about the farm in general but here are some pics - http://www.iamaposer.com/?p=7830
    The couple is pretty artsy and the barn was a but tight because they were just over capasity i think. At night it was rainy but so beautiful dancing on the covered patio!
  • I am thinking there is probably another way to do this, but I couldn't find Conrad Botzum Farmstead under vendors.  So, I will place my review here for all those ladies searching for reviews on this place.  I had my wedding here in fall 2013.  I am so torn on whether or not I want to give this place a good review.  There are a lot of things that made my husband and me very upset with this place, but then again, all in all, I feel we pulled it off so well.  But, truthfully, it was all thanks to us -- not really a whole lot of help from George or Maureen.  Sorry, but I was really upset with (in no specific order):

a) the fact they weren't able to recommend a place to set up for our ceremony to ensure the sun wouldn't get in our eyes.  They should know the best place for setting it up, and should give you pros and cons.

b) George helped himself to our food, dessert, drinks, and went back for seconds and thirds.  I understand a meal, but seriously...to keep going back and taking more?  Not right and disrespectful. 

c) they charge you to tend the fire and for the firewood ($150), but they did not tend the fire...our guests did

d) VERY old fashioned in how they deal with the money side of things.  The contract is just ok.  MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR A DETAILED description of what they are charging you for when you hire them to do the set up/tear down.  Maureen kept beating around the bush with that.  I thought it would cost $1 a head for chairs...period.  But, here, they charge $1 a head EVERY TIME they touch a chair.  So, moving it out to ceremony location, moving back in, taking down...etc.  I am sorry, but she should have this written out.  Kind of like a menu of services available to you.  That is just good business practice. 

e) Like everybody has said...you can only call Maureen.  No e-mail.  And, heaven forbid you should want to meet her in person to talk about stuff. She charges you.  Seriously, they need to start using e-mail.  You always get the answering machine.  Leave a message, then she will call you back days later...by then you have forgotten what you were going to ask her. 

f) Beware of concerts!  I swear I thought to look into the Blossom schedule, but apparently I didn't.  Some of our guests missed our ceremony due to traffic on Steels Corners.  That was a bummer!  Either stay away from concert days (you can hear the music in the distance, but it didn't bother us because we were rocking too) or make sure you let your guests know about the concert and possibility of traffic.

I realize some of these things could be perceived as the fault of the bride to be, for not planning/organizing or asking the right questions.  But, that is why I am torn on my review.  I truthfully don't have a lot of good things to say about this place.  Yes, it is absolutely gorgeous, but there is a lot more that plays into being a good venue for a wedding.  They aren't having any problems booking the place, I realize that.  But, if you are anything like me, I don't think you will be happy with it.  I would find another place.  If you are a superb wedding planner, you can probably pull off a fantastic wedding here.   

I only did this planning a wedding once...I did read as much as I could, but I am not going to think of everything.  I feel like they should have helped a lot more.  There is a lot more I could tell you about this place.  If you want to talk, let me know.

I do want to mention the bathrooms are completely ok for an outside wedding, not far from the barn at all.  I didn't buy a dance floor, and don't really think you would need one either.  I was not impressed with their preferred caterer list (you have to pay something like $350 if you don't go with one of these places).  I am not and was never big on this wedding blog thing, so I am not sure how it works as far as getting a hold of me, if you have any questiosn.  I will be happy to tell you more about the good and the bad of this place, if you can figure out how to get a hold of me!  : )

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards