Getting in Shape
Options

Sodium and Protein (little long)

Hi, I haven't posted here except for yesterday I commented on a couple threads. I've been on TK for a little while now and mostly lurk/post in Etiquette. I decided to check this board out when I got my butt back in gear after gaining the 20lbs I lost. Pretty much lost weight for Hawaii and then went on permanent vacation if you know what I mean...

Anyway

I've been tracking my daily activity and food in an app called lose it. It's great and it's definitely re opening my eyes. The three things I'm focusing on are sodium, carbs and protein. I'm watching sodium because I eat waaay too much of it and I'm watching carbs/protein because I'm gluten sensitive, diabetes runs in the family and the simple carbs we eat today are just not good for you.

The first issue I have is sodium. IT'S IN EVERYTHING!!!!! Holy cow it's eye opening once you start looking for it. Yes, if I pre make all my meals and don't buy anything pre packaged I won't have this issue. But in reality I really don't have that option all the time because I work on the road a lot without access to a microwave or stove. (I won't eat cold meat unless it's on a sandwich). So, I try to make healthy choices at fast food restaurants. Today I had grilled chicken strips from Jack in The Box with a side salad and the balsamic dressing. The chicken ALONE had 1,000mg of sodium!!!!

The second issue I'm having is protein. Apparently I'm not getting enough. For example today I had cottage cheese for bfast, veggies with no sauce for a snack, my lunch listed above, for a snack later I'll have an orange and for dinner I'll probably have salmon with some greens and a grapefruit. I used to have protein shakes for snacks instead of the veggies or orange but I want to have real food and lose weight with real food instead of the shakes.

So here's my questions.

Suggestions for low carb, high protein, low sodium fast food options?
Easy high protein, low carb, low sodium snacks?

Re: Sodium and Protein (little long)

• Options
    Also what about a sandwich rollup with no bread? There'll meat, some low sodium low fat cheese and veggies rolled up with maybe a mustard dip?? Soynuts are an easy high protein snack, or a cold chick pea salad? Sandra lee on the food network has an easy healthy yummy chickpea salad (google!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_sodium-protein-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:41038050-edfa-4ef6-bc30-82130b6c991bPost:5b2191b2-bf41-4959-b2a5-64c810439f2f">Re: Sodium and Protein (little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also what about a sandwich rollup with no bread? There'll meat, some low sodium low fat cheese and veggies rolled up with maybe a mustard dip?? Soynuts are an easy high protein snack, or a cold chick pea salad? Sandra lee on the food network has an easy healthy yummy chickpea salad (google!)
    Posted by quiggels219[/QUOTE]

This may be a dumb question but what is a sandwich roll up?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_sodium-protein-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:41038050-edfa-4ef6-bc30-82130b6c991bPost:5e3f9892-2490-42a7-85fe-5b0eeb6092f6">Re: Sodium and Protein (little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sodium and Protein (little long) : This may be a dumb question but what is a sandwich roll up?
    Posted by ILoveToRobot[/QUOTE]

Yes, this definately was a dumb question. I read your post again.
  • Options
    You really aren't going to find many low sodium fast food choices. What I find works for me is to cook my meals for the week in advance, on a day that I do not have to work. Are you able to eat a big breakfast/dinner, and have several small snacks during your work day? I make my own granola bars; they are healthy, filling and transport easily.
    How much sodium are you consuming on average? 

As for high protein, low sodium snacks, I love raw almonds and my granola bars. 
  • Options
    I usually pre make my meals for the week on sunday like you mentioned but if I'm out on the road all day I don't have anywhere to heat up that chicken breast I prepared. Also, I think i'd snack MUCH more and be much more inclined to gorge myself if I didn't have 3 meals and 3 snacks alternating. I also get headaches if I get hungry...

My sodium intake average this week is 3,260mg. I'm afraid to know what it was before I started paying attention to it....

Do you have a recipe for your granola bars?
  • Options
    Apple slices with peanut butter, hummus with cucumber,carrot, broccoli. Maybe make a black bean corn salsa and bring gluten free chips. I also made a toubulli type dip with quinoa (high protein) lime, mint, tomatoes, I think parsley (just google a toubulli recipe) which is a great cold dip also with gluten free chips or veggies.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I use this recipe from Smitten Kitchen: 
    I like to add almonds, sunflower seeds, pepitas, dried fruit and some semi-sweet chocolate chips.

• Options
    How much protein are you going for?  Because with cottage cheese, chicken, and salmon, I'm confused as to how you're meeting your minimum.  Those are pretty protein packed things. 

I don't usually focus specifically on making sure I get lots of protein, and I don't have a problem getting nearly 100 g a day.  There is so much in meat and fish.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_sodium-protein-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:41038050-edfa-4ef6-bc30-82130b6c991bPost:11b29655-613e-4df1-b1f0-e95f0ad07111">Re: Sodium and Protein (little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]How much protein are you going for?  Because with cottage cheese, chicken, and salmon, I'm confused as to how you're meeting your minimum.  Those are pretty protein packed things.  I don't usually focus specifically on making sure I get lots of protein, and I don't have a problem getting nearly 100 g a day.  There is so much in meat and fish.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

My app is telling me I need more. I'm averaging 80.3 grams this week but yesterday I had 103.2 grams and it says I'm getting 37%...
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_sodium-protein-little-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:41038050-edfa-4ef6-bc30-82130b6c991bPost:d7d90225-6d31-4141-a764-7da394076a5d">Re: Sodium and Protein (little long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Sodium and Protein (little long) : My app is telling me I need more. I'm averaging 80.3 grams this week but yesterday I had 103.2 grams and it says I'm getting 37%...
    Posted by ILoveToRobot[/QUOTE]

Whoa, yeah...no you don't need 300g!  103 is actually a fairly high number for most women.  I don't know what the deal with your tracker is, but it sounds like you're pretty well.  Unless you're like...training for a body building competition!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Ya my tracker says I only need 52 g a day - one piece of meat and I think you'd be ok? I'm vegan and am often over on protien based on some of the foods I suggested.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards