Maine

Has anyone heard anything about The Barn on Rocky Hill?

Just wondering if anyone has heard about this venue. Apparently it's in Westbrook on Methodist road and the website looks great. But, I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone and I'm not sure what their pricing is. If anyone has some info on this venue PLEASE let me know!! Thanks!

Re: Has anyone heard anything about The Barn on Rocky Hill?

• looks beautiful, i'm having a barn wedding myself! i have not heard of this place but me and another knottie on here are getting married in new gloucester at the chandler house bed and breakfast which has a beautiful barn that i fell in love with there!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yes, i toured it! the barn is not built yet but it will be done soon. we had an imaginary tour, but the farmhouse is built and its GORGEOUS!!!
  • I heard from the lady who owns it, because I was wondering about it. It's still not built yet, and the woman says its going to be the best thing since sliced bread, and it is pricey, especially since their really isnt anything to tour yet. It's about 9K for the venue, not sure about any other specifics. The woman I spoke to said that she was charging tons because it's the newest thing and everyone wants to be the first to get married there. So maybe if you're a couple years out you could get a better price? Iwas interested in it also because of it's location and I have family from Westbrook, but there are many other beautiful barns around for way less money. Hope this helps. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_has-anyone-heard-anything-about-the-barn-on-rocky-hill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:07f75569-9728-41f2-bba5-c2280fc0b920Post:19d3c320-8072-434e-9813-d43d735e2a35">Re: Has anyone heard anything about The Barn on Rocky Hill?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I heard from the lady who owns it, because I was wondering about it. It's still not built yet, and the woman says its going to be the best thing since sliced bread, and it is pricey, especially since their really isnt anything to tour yet. It's about 9K for the venue, not sure about any other specifics. <strong>The woman I spoke to said that she was charging tons because it's the newest thing and everyone wants to be the first to get married there</strong>. So maybe if you're a couple years out you could get a better price? Iwas interested in it also because of it's location and I have family from Westbrook, but there are many other beautiful barns around for way less money. Hope this helps. 
    Posted by ambrelynn87[/QUOTE]

That's awful!  And disgusting!  The fact that she admitted that makes me hope that no one wants to get married there ever!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • i am having a beautiful barn wedding next october and my venue was MUCH MUCH cheaper and the owners of the barn are very down to earth and super helpful to work with! like hcorrigan said  i would stay clear of someone that is looking at it just from a money perspective because you know you are going to pay way more then you really need too!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_has-anyone-heard-anything-about-the-barn-on-rocky-hill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:07f75569-9728-41f2-bba5-c2280fc0b920Post:19d3c320-8072-434e-9813-d43d735e2a35">Re: Has anyone heard anything about The Barn on Rocky Hill?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I heard from the lady who owns it, because I was wondering about it. It's still not built yet, and the woman says its going to be the best thing since sliced bread, and it is pricey, especially since their really isnt anything to tour yet.<strong> It's about 9K for the venue, not sure about any other specifics. The woman I spoke to said that she was charging tons because it's the newest thing and everyone wants to be the first to get married there.</strong> So maybe if you're a couple years out you could get a better price? Iwas interested in it also because of it's location and I have family from Westbrook, but there are many other beautiful barns around for way less money. Hope this helps. 
    Posted by ambrelynn87[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>yes- I agree with HCorrigan- this REALLY bothers me.. if anything it should be less expensive BECAUSE it's so new and they should be trying to get business, I Would MUCH rather pay more somewhere that has alot of experience and has running a wedding down to a science, not just getting started. I'd actually NOT want to be the first to get married somewhere, I'd feel like we were being the test dummys...    this would be a MAJOR red flag to me and I'd keep looking... Just my Opinion.

</div>
  • Thank you guys SO MUCH for feeling that way too. When the lady emailed me saying that and telling me that she probably wouldn't have time for me to visit before booking and that I'd just have to trust her I thought I was going to puke. My fiance thought it was a scam, but being from the area I knew that something was constructed there so I know it exists. I couldn't believe some of the stuff she wrote out. I would say it is very very much about the money for that venue. She also said that she'd been contacted already by Beyonces wedding planner and that she is almost full for 2013. We actually joke now when we talk about venues my fiance says "oh but was this one good ebough for BEYONCES wedding planner?" and we lolsauce about it.

• The good news is, forum posts from The Knot tend to pop up when doing internet searches for venue information, especially if you type in the actual name.

I just Googled it, and this post comes up at the bottom of the first page of hits.  Now, anyone who searches for it and reads this will know this person is just out to get money and they should stay far away!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Hcorrigan I wish I could "like" your post :-) good to know.
  • May I ask what barn you used for your wedding?
  • These posts are very helpful!  I'm so glad I've stumbled across them as I was very much interested in the Barn on Rocky Hill.  

I'm still set on the rustic/barn scene - does anyone else have suggestions?  I really liked the chic idea of the barn, it appeared to be still rustic yet elegant.  
  • chandler house bed and breakfast. i'm having a barn wedding. gorgeous!!!! i'm obsessed with it. and its very reasonable
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was looking there as well - Has anyone actually seen it?? If it was just being built, where are those wedding photos from on their website. It looks amazing but I'm pretty skeptic...
  • I live in westbrook and i emailed her as well ; this is her email that she wrote to me 

Be mesmerized by the enchanted event space this unique property offers. We have a national wedding magazine looking to do an article on us, and this is what they have put together to summarize our spot:Our charming barn opens up to a breathtaking, expansive gathering space with an outdoor patio and full chef’s kitchen. The main room features a built-in, wide plank dance floor; spacious bathrooms; a private bar; and upstairs mezzanine. Our outdoor deck is the perfect spot for a breath of fresh air or sipping a cocktail. We also can host ceremonies on the lawn at the foot of the hill. On-site accommodations can sleep 20 comfortably and include a four-bedroom farmhouse and two connecting private homes.It is crazy the response we are already getting... Brides have been booking their weddings here, site UNSEEN!  In fact, we have had wedding planners (most recently Beyonce's!) come to us for their client weddings...with our being so new, I have looked around at similar properties locally, and priced ourselves less than the competition -- simply for the 1st year in business, to grow word of mouth! Tours (please read this carefully & consider): As for tours, all but the wedding barn are 100% complete.  The wedding barn is 1/4 complete -- I have a team working onsite to complete this for Fall of this year (feel free to request pics as they are working! -- all supplies are here, they are currently underway), as we are booked beginning end of March out for 2013 with 13 events.  For this reason, we are unable to host formal tours until Fall, yet the downside for you if a tour is a MUST for you & your fiance to make your venue decision -- is that come Fall when the wedding barn is 100%, 2013 and the summer of 2014 may be booked (as that has been the trend with brides -- they are very PRE-planned!).  As a recent bride myself, I can apprecaite this *smiles*For the property (up to 3 nights stay); the venue fee is $9,000. ( I am still priced lower than our local competitors as the newest Maine venue )  I've included a list of featured amenities:
    Indoor Mens & Womens restrooms in the wedding barn 
    14-acre property 
    Barn reception for 150 guests (with an upstairs mezanine) 
    Overnight accomodations on the property for up to 20 
    Accomodations include 3 kitchens for guest(s) staying onsite 
    Main farmhouse has a tanning bed 
    Hi speed Wifi onsite
    Full professional outdoor kitchen with a 900 sq ft multi tier deck (perfect for a cocktail/social hour or rehearsal dinner) 
    Private sanctuary behind the wedding barn for ceremony & seating 
    Outdoor ceremony is under clear covering; to allow rain or shine and no tent rental fee needed as an additional expense for bride & groom 
    Onsite chef for private (up to 10) farmhouse morning brunch for bride/groom + 8 others (with the $9,000 - we include two morning brunches with specialized menu options for two mornings during your stay) 
    We are approx 10 mins from Portland, where there are a multitude of hotels & motels for guests to choose from based on their budgets. (as the prices do vary nicely)**property has been featured in 2012 both nationally & locally**Rustic/elegant Maine weddings seems to be on the rise.  I hope this answers most of your questions.All the best,Michelle

I also have seen the farmhouse being rented out on craigslist with monthly rent, how would they be able to rent it out if there is weddings?  i feel like this is a joke!!! 

• sounds sketchy to me............
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiancé and I have actually booked our wedding there! I can say that I am really let down with the actual ignorance and doubt you negative responders have. This facility is just getting started and the made up negativity doesn't help. We met the owner and her assistant and all I can say is that we were touched by their care respect and overall love for what they do. Their responsiveness was also top notch. One of the other venues took 4 days to get back to us after we emailed them twice. Any positive soon to be's looking for some first hand knowledge here are the facts. The grounds, farmhouse, and barn soon to be completed far exceed the other barn venues in the area, we looked at all of them over a few weeks. The price was actually far less then the venues that are in that quality. We also spoke to 3 other brides that have booked there and guess what? They had the same experience that we did! Oh and I believe someone else posted an email stating all of the other spectacular features. Hope this helps everyone!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_has-anyone-heard-anything-about-the-barn-on-rocky-hill?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:07f75569-9728-41f2-bba5-c2280fc0b920Post:8371a94e-5330-4201-8366-52e492444d0b">Re: Has anyone heard anything about The Barn on Rocky Hill?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiancé and I have actually booked our wedding there! I can say that I am really let down with the actual ignorance and doubt you negative responders have. This facility is just getting started and the made up negativity doesn't help. We met the owner and her assistant and all I can say is that we were touched by their care respect and overall love for what they do. Their responsiveness was also top notch. One of the other venues took 4 days to get back to us after we emailed them twice. Any positive soon to be's looking for some first hand knowledge here are the facts. The grounds, farmhouse, and barn soon to be completed far exceed the other barn venues in the area, we looked at all of them over a few weeks. The price was actually far less then the venues that are in that quality. We also spoke to 3 other brides that have booked there and guess what? They had the same experience that we did! Oh and I believe someone else posted an email stating all of the other spectacular features. Hope this helps everyone!
    Posted by Jeff37[/QUOTE]

<div>The point is Jeff37 is that by coming out and saying that they are SOOO fabulous, even when not completed that brides are lining up to book sight unseen is in many ways like a slap in the face to many Maine brides who are from Maine and not planning a destination wedding. I contacted them last night, because the barn picture really is beautiful (wonder where that barn really is...) I got a reply back quickly but whoever wrote it did not even give their name! Instead of giving their prices and possible packages the responder wanted to know what I planned to put towards my venue in regards to wedding budget. Talk about not very welcoming! Instead of making me feel like they want nothing more than to be the venue for my wedding reception, a place that other locations have lamented that they want the <strong>privilege</strong> of doing, The Barn on Rocky Hill first wants to know just how much cash I've got. For Maine brides from Maine, I would stay away, it seems they only want to cater to the very rich who are planning a destination wedding. In the end the jokes on them....my in laws are fairly well off, from California and are willing to contribute extra to make my dream of a classic Maine wedding come true, for both our families, but I'm not sure I would even consider booking here after just one e-mail and the feeling it left me with. I've looked into the Barn on Walnut Hill and it's sister property in Buxton. While expensive, Gail, the owner was so nice and since I was from Maine was willing to do a single day price instead of the 5 day typical package. </div>
  • edited November 2012

"What you cannot see in this world is FAR more powerful than what you can see!"  I am from Maine, currently living in NYC, and am THRILLED to have my wedding next Fall with the Barn on Rocky Hill. Michelle has been amazing, and if I could bottle her energy - I'd be RICH. She is a gem. The barn may not be complete, however, for you skeptical brides that think they are asking too much -- The other local barns are GOUGING you, as this new barn was far less & offered far more.  And, there seems to have been some comments on their lack of experience -- all these barns are merely the venue & accommodations; your wedding planner you hire should be the one experienced?  That is a moot point for those in doubt.  I have done my homework (it is in my nature & my profession!), and for the brides that are posting anything negative on account of this being the "newest" barn... I'd say your grooms have a little worry ahead of them as FAITH, hope & love are of the most prominent qualities a partner can have.  The lack thereof on these posts is disappointing to your relationships.  I will be sure to post our photos for all who are looking for beautiful venues to enjoy!  And, the money I saved by booking with Barn on Rocky Hill VS their local competition will be paying for our HONEYMOON! 
    I also talked to the Barn on Walnut Hill and the sister
    property & they were out of my price range - furthermore, I don't think either one of them has restrooms, as I have driven by (being from Maine I have that luxury) only to find green port o pottys... I don't think that is quite the "RUSTIC" a top dollar venue should be offering us brides!..as we, afterall, are
    the ones that would need the extra room for our dresses. (and, what do you tell your guests?? ick)

• edited November 2012
    To anybody who is sketched out about the Barn on Rocky Hill but thinks it is gorgeous: The picture used on their webiste of the wedding barn is actually a picture of the Red Lion Inn in Cohasset, MA (not the Sturbridge one). Here's the link: http://www.redlioninn1704.com/.  When I contacted Rocky Hill, I asked what the picture was of since the wedding barn wasn't built, and then she said it was what the designers drew up plans for, and that it will be built down right to the light fixtures. I did a google image search and found the same picture of the wedding barn on a photographer's website, along with a lot of other pictures of the Red Lion Inn. It is gorgeous, but be forewarned that they have very mixed reviews. We decided not to even bother checking it out.

I thought it was sketchy that she didn't tell me that the picture of the barn was from a wedding photographer at a different venue when I directly asked her about it. Are they just building a replica of barn at the Red Lion Inn?

Other nice venues we looked at in MA were the Zukas Hilltop Barn and the Barn on Gibbet Hill, if you were looking for something rustic. Harrington Farms is also supposed to be lovely.
  • I received the same e-mail and immediately thought it was a scam. Now I am reading that it is on Craigslist?! I am all set with this venue...sounds shady. I have been emailing back and forth and the responses are always vague...
  • The last thing I heard was that this venue had to back out of all of it's weddings months before they were supposed to open! Something about not passing their town inspection for the new barn structure. I heard that they cancelled on a bride months before her wedding. I could not imagine. 
    And on a side note...I also got the Beyonce email, was pressured to book and place a deposit before seeing the venue, and felt that the money was the more important thing to them. MInd you, I was looking at a 2015 date and was told they would be "booked before I knew it". Thank goodness we chose not to book with them!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards