Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

DIY Makeup Essentials?

I'm getting married in a somewhat remote location (3 hours from home, more than an hour from any decent sized town big enough for a stop light/McDonalds/chain grocery store/hair salon, and including a 30 minute drive up a mountain). It's outdoors, and essentially a camping-type location.

So now the issue is day of hair and makeup. We, and our guests, will be staying there at least the night before the wedding, but I and many others will be there that whole week leading up to it, so it's not like we pass through a town on the way in in the morning, so going to a salon is out. Having someone travel to us is expensive, and if I have to get someone from that area or even splitting the difference in location, going for a trial is going to be tough. So while that is still an option, I'm thinking DIY is the way to go. I'm not super-confident in my makeup abilities, but my bigger issue is I'm not sure what I need to know with even what type of makeup to use that's going to look good in photos. My friends are out as options; I've had some do my makeup in the past and have never liked what I've looked like.

So, for DIY makeup, what are the essentials I need to know? In day-to-day wear, I typically use just a mineral powder foundation, blush, and occasionally lip gloss, eye shadow and maybe a little eyeliner for special occasions (though I tend to mess up the eyeliner). So, for weddings, do you do liquid, powder, cream...? What are the essentials I need to think about if I do DIY makeup? And should I really just can the idea and go for professional makeup, especially since I'm not even sure I'm competent to pick the right shade of foundation??

Re: DIY Makeup Essentials?

• I would suggest going to a store like Sephora a few months before the wedding and let them know what you want to do. They can show you what products you need and help with you how to apply them. Then you can spend a couple of months practicing on yourself so you can get it right. I haven't used mineral foundation before, but it seems to me that it may not be heavy enough for photographs. You want your make up to last and be a little heavier than normal so it shows up nice in your pictures.
  • I would suggest you find a professional to do your makeup.  You're going to be looking at your wedding photos for a long time, you don't want to look weird because you chose the wrong foundation shade and messed up your eyeliner.  If you're not confident in your makeup application skills, I wouldn't recommend DIY.  Im willing to bet that you'll end up spending the same amount you would have spent on a professional if you have to go out and buy makeup to DIY anyways.
    I am planning on doing my own makeup, but that's because I recently got my certification as a makeup artist, am very confident in my application skills, and I own a airbrush so I can airbrush my makeup.  
    If you were to DIY, this would be your shopping list:

Primer- You need a good primer that will make your makeup last.  This will cost you between $15-$40 at Sephora (Some things are fine from a drugstore, I'll use eyeshadows and mascaras etc. from Target, but I personally hate the idea of putting cheap makeup on your face- if you're going to splurge on anything, splurge on your foundation/primer because you don't want to screw up your skin with crappy quality stuff.)

Foundation- Preferably long-lasting liquid, nothing with SPF because foundations with SPF reflect light, and will make your face look lighter than your body in photos.  You want a foundation that matches your skin perfectly, otherwise you look weird, and you want the MINIMAL amount of coverage you can get away with- you want to cover any blemishes with concealer, the foundation is just to even out skin tone.  Going too heavy on foundation coverage is the #1 way to look trashy and gross.  You'd end up spending at least $30 for a good foundation, probably more. (Foundation is the biggest reason you should go with a pro.  They'll have the right foundation, in the right coverage, and will even mix different shades to get the perfect color for your skin tone.  Also, it's tricky to master applying foundation correctly.)

Concealer- You need a good concealer to cover the blemishes your foundation won't completely conceal.  Expect to spend at least $15 on that.  

Eye Shadow Primer- You don't want your eyeshadow creasing and wearing off, and the primer also allows your eyeshadow to appear brighter.  Expect to spend at least $15.  

Waterproof/long lasting eyeliner: You don't want your eyeliner smudging, and if you happen to shed a tear or two throughout the day, you don't want raccoon eyes.  The Sephora brand waterproof cream eyeliner is so far my favorite that I've ever used, and it's $10. 

If you don't already own the eyeshadow, blush/bronzer, and mascara (Or false lashes) you want to wear on your wedding day, add those onto your list.  
  • Hello! I definitely think that you can pull of DIY makeup!

First of all, as PP said, do not get anything with SPF! It will make you white in your photos! Almost all mineral products contain the same ingredients as SPF (sillica) that makes you white.

Second, go heavier than you think you should. FOUNDATION IS VERY IMPORTANT. 

You want good primers! NARS eye primer is what I use, it's like glue! it'll hold your eyeshadow in place. Also, setting sprays are definitely a plus. Check out Urban Decay setting sprays. 

Most of your makeup should be matte, meaning no glitters or shimmers. Also, look into "tightlining" your eyes. This will improve your look and it is very easy to do. 

When finding the right products I search Reddit.com/r/makeupaddiction, also, youtube videos are ALWAYS helpful :]
  • Speaking as a DIY makeup bride this is awesome advice ladies! I cannot stand people near my eyes and I have a reasonable amount of confidence in my makeup application skills so I plan to do my own. I tend to gravitate towards the less expensive makeup but for my wedding day I'm happy to shell out a few more $$!
  • You ladies are awesome! I think I'm going to do my makeup the day of my wedding and have been looking for pointers. I have this thread bookmarked so I can go back to it when I'm ready to start shopping!
  • For what it's worth, I'm DIYing my makeup and here are my products:

Primer: I'm using bareminerals but I've heard monistat chafing relief powder gel works great as a great primer.
    Foundation: Wet n Wild Coverall. I'm mixing two shades. No SPF
    Concealer: theBalm concealer
    Powder: Essence setting powder
    Blush: Will probably use Cabana Boy by theBalm.
    Eyeshadow primer: Urban Decay Primer Potion
    Eyeshadow and brow powder: Urban Decay Naked 1 and Naked 3
    Eyeliner: Physician's Formula Gel Liner
    Mascara: Maybelline Full n Soft Waterproof
    Setting Spray: Urban Decay All Nighter
    Lips: Mix of theBalm and Essence Lipsticks

That being said, if you were to buy all this makeup from scratch plus brushes it would run you over $200. Then you have to think about the time it takes to practice application ... a make-up artist is cheaper in most cases!
  • I am not a very heavy make up person, plus I'm a control freak. I officially decided to splurge and buy good foundation/primer and DIY. I like the way I do my makeup for evening events, and it photographs well. I want a super natural look on my day, and just want to focus on my eyes.  I also already use all waterproof eye make up because I'm a face toucher. Now its just a matter of a. breaking the habit and b. paying attention to what looks best. 

Plus if I do it, I know I'm going to look like myself. 
  • edited January 2014
    @jean0715 since you are going the DIY route, may I recommend you use Urban Decay's Naked 3 eyeshadow palette?  I recently got mine and the colors are GORGEOUS.  They're all neutral shades but they have rosy tones and hints of violet in them, which are by far my FAVORITE colors to use on anyone- violet looks incredible on brown, blue, and green eyes.  The hints of pink and purple are subtle enough though that you can create very gorgeous natural looks with it.  Not to mention the color payoff is great.  Put a good eyeshadow primer under it and you'll be set all day.  Also it's a very popular palette so you will be able to find TONS of tutorials on different looks to create.  
    And if you buy that for your wedding, I guarantee you will use it again. 
    Also look up Michelle Phan on youtube, she has some wonderful tutorials and I learned a LOT from her!  The favorite thing I learned from her was that if you buy a waterproof eyeliner in a pale nude shade and put it on your waterline, it makes your eyes look super bright and awake.  I own her "waterliner" eyeliner in "In the Nude" and I always line my waterline with it.  

• @HaileyDancingbear Thank you so much for the tips!

• arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2014
    I have spent a lot of money at Sephora and the best primer I have ever used was a $6.00 ELF primer form Target. My skin looks great and it keeps my make up on longer. I follow up with MUF HD and it loks great in pictures. I also think going to Sephora or Ulta and talking to the sales people would be very helpful. They are very knowledgeable.
  • You CAN do your own makeup. Here are my personal suggestions:

Skin Care: Start a skin care regimen now (if you haven't already). Cleanse, exfoliate, moisturize. This will help you not have so much to 'cover up' on your wedding day. Also, learning about your skin type will better help you prepare for which types of makeup to use/stay away from.
    Sleeping, water, and diet also can affect your skin; so get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of water, and eat healthy because beauty really starts from the inside.

Primer: You will need this, and want this. It protects your skin from makeup, and helps your makeup stay above your skin (meaning it shows up longer). NARS is good, as well as Makeup Forever.

Foundation: Go to Sephora or Mac and get them to color match you for your foundation. I personally perfer Sephora because they take pictures of your skin and up load them to their system and then match you from there. It's the best color matching I've experienced (and I worked in cosmetics for years).

You will need to wear something 'heavier' than mineral make up, primarily for photos. Mac, Smashbox, or Makeup Forever work great.

Concealer: Do have any 'problem areas'? If yes, then get a concealer and I'd say stick with same brand of your foundation (but if your're at Sephora, they really are awesome and they will match that for you too, and probably teach you how to apply it).

Highlight: Sounds complicated, but it's not. Its just like a blush used on top (above) your cheek bones. NARS albatross works great.

Contour: I personally don't think it is necessary, but some people do. Also easy, It's a darker shade used under your cheek bones, and you don't need a lot.

Blush: Also NARS, but MAC works well too. NARS 'Orgasm' is a very popular shade, but find a shade that works for you. A Tip: When looking for blush, sample them on the palm side of your forearm to see a true color representation.

Eyes: Eyelid primer is also a necessity.

Shadows in matte finishes work best for photos (stay away from shimmers, they will reflect in flash photos and that's not so great). You'll want a neutral color for all over your lid, a lighter shade to highlight, and a darker shade for the outer crease/corner to add depth/definition.

Eyeliners that are gel/mousse are awesome. I love MACs gel liner, and to  apply I use a stiff angled brush. It glides on really easily and stays put for hours (and sometimes days...in case you ever go Vegas an don't want to take your eye makeup off).

Mascara: Benefit BadGal Lash. Hands down. Although you may opt for false lashes. I would suggest the smaller 'corner' lashes.

Setting Spray: Urban Decay 'Up All Night' or something like that. It will keep your face looking like you just did your make up.

Lips: MAC or Makeup Forever's lip pencil. It's a liner. Line your lips, then fill them in. Add a smidge of gloss. Boom! Done. Won't fade for about..mmm...6-8 hours. You'll want to touch up the gloss occasionally, but that's it.

YouTube is your friend. Watch tutorials and learn easy techniques.

And my final piece of advice: Practice! Practice! Practice! Give yourself trial runs, just like the pros do!

Oh, and if you're never going to wear the makeup again (like ever), then I would suggest just getting samples which will cut your cost. A lot of store will give you samples that are good for 1-3 uses. You can also by loads of these brands I listed on ebay as well.

Good Luck! You can do it!!
    So so so so so so so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to do this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some really great advice above.  I just want to add that the primers by Hourglass are among my favorites.  Also, I would recommend getting a good quality foundation brush if you're using liquid foundation.  I use one like this, and LOVE the results.

http://www.sephora.com/the-face-i-liquid-foundation-brush-no-1-P379419?skuId=1505064

• So funny... I never knew there were foundation brushes until I started doing makeup trials. I've been using sponges since the dawn of time. I get the reason behind it but LORD are they expensive. I was about to order one with my foundation the other day until I realized it was $46.00 on its own... not as a package with the $40 foundation :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I stubbornly resisted for a while but am now glad I got it.  And I like the fuller head so much better than the flat foundation brushes I've tried.

Think of the per usage price... $46 over how many uses? With proper care and washing, a quality brush should last a very long time. 

To save a little, you could do the research to see which ones you'd want and then stalk them on EBAY :)

• Yeah, I stubbornly resisted for a while but am now glad I got it.  And I like the fuller head so much better than the flat foundation brushes I've tried.

Think of the per usage price... $46 over how many uses? With proper care and washing, a quality brush should last a very long time. 

To save a little, you could do the research to see which ones you'd want and then stalk them on EBAY :)

^^ And always wash your brushes before you use them. They may not tell you that at the store.

Ohhhhh I like that idea. A-stalking I will go!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Like everyone else said, whatever you do practice.  Also, just a tip, when you do practice, make sure you leave it on all day to see if it moves around on your face.  The past few months, I tried saving a few bucks and using drugstore brand mascaras.  I went through several different types.  Waterproof and regular.  Every single one of them left smudges under my eyes.  I had to go back and purchase the expensive stuff.  It seems to be worth it as there isn't a smudge in sight.  Different brands and products work for different people.  Make sure you put in the time to figuring out what works for you instead of just showing up expecting it all to stay where you put it.
  • Kerigirl9 said:

So funny... I never knew there were foundation brushes until I started doing makeup trials. I've been using sponges since the dawn of time. I get the reason behind it but LORD are they expensive. I was about to order one with my foundation the other day until I realized it was $46.00 on its own... not as a package with the $40 foundation :)

@kerigirl9 - try the eco tools foundation brush. It costs about $10 but works incredibly well and hardly sheds. They're available on amazon!!
  • Like everyone else said, whatever you do practice.  Also, just a tip, when you do practice, make sure you leave it on all day to see if it moves around on your face.  The past few months, I tried saving a few bucks and using drugstore brand mascaras.  I went through several different types.  Waterproof and regular.  Every single one of them left smudges under my eyes.  I had to go back and purchase the expensive stuff.  It seems to be worth it as there isn't a smudge in sight.  Different brands and products work for different people.  Make sure you put in the time to figuring out what works for you instead of just showing up expecting it all to stay where you put it.
    This.  Wether you go with a pro or not, always do a trial run of your makeup.  ALWAYS.  
  • I love ecotools, it's what Ive used daily for about 5 years now. Also, E.L.F. Brand (can find at target) are cheaper, but also have great reviews!
  • PUR Minerals has a great foudation brush too, for about $25.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards