Wedding Reception Forum

Buy or rent linen?

Hey ladies! I've been looking into linen rental companies and it seems that it is not much more to buy than to rent! Can any of you shed some light as to why this is? Are the linens for purchase poor quality? Also, on tradesy I see people selling plain white polyester tablecloths for well over what I'm seeing online! Am I missing something?

Re: Buy or rent linen?

• It probably depends on the quality of the fabric.  Nicer, heavier linens are going to be more expensive in general.  We actually found it is cheaper to buy stemless wine glasses (the ones at DollarTree are quite nice and half what our rental company wanted to charge for disposable) than rent.

My guess is that people on Tradesy that look expensive are trying to recoup their costs & the 9 or 10 % that Tradesy takes from each sale as their commission. 

We ultimately decided to rent most things (all linens) because the rental company will set up the whole reception space (including the tables and chairs that belong to the reception hall) for a low fee and keeping the time the morning of the wedding was worth that to us.
  • I got married in june, 2012 and my daughter is getting married in may 2014    I bought all the linens  , it was just cheaper in the long run.   Tableclothsfactory.com hs very good quality tablecloths, runners and naplins.  just make sure when you are typing in the website to make sure you type tablecloths   and not tablecloth

My daughter had a very hard color to find   david's mallibu and i can not find linen or polyester table runners.   any one kno where I can find them

• Thanks!! I am going to hire a day of coordinator to take care of all the diy we are doing: cake, favors, place cards, decor, and probably linen. So I think it may be worth buying them online.

I don't know about the Malibu color though. Good luck!!!
  • I rented linens because I couldn't find what I was looking for to buy. Part of the cost of rental though is set up and it's also them cleaning and pressing the linens. If you order them online you are going to have to get the wrinkles out of all those tablecloths. Just something else to think about.
  • Oh that's true. Does anyone know which of satin or polyester is easier to clean and easier to iron?? I'd like to be able to resell if I decide to buy.
  • Polyester. Satin normally needs to be dry cleaned.
  • 3ringnecklace3ringnecklace member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2014
    I thought I would save money and buy tablecloths instead of renting...big mistake. I didn't realize that my venue charges for linen set up if you don't rent through them. Find out from your venue if this is a hidden cost.
  • Woah good thing to think about! The venue is pretty bare. They only provide the space, tables, and chairs. We provide everything else. We can also decorate however we want including candles (which I had a hard time finding). They give us a lot of freedom which is nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards