Not Engaged Yet
Options

Reverse Proposal Gift?

Hi everyone!

I'm going to propose to my guy and I'm wondering what ideas you have about a gift to present to him? He's not really into jewelry and he's kind of a nerd. Very into creating things himself, handmade or antique kinds of things. He's also very much into outdoors stuff like hiking and biking, I'm getting him a pocket watch as a groom gift for the wedding day. Also, we've talked about it and he for sure wants me to ask him, so I'm just looking for advice on what I can present to him when I ask. 

Thanks!

Re: Reverse Proposal Gift?

• Options
    There's been about 489054390 posts about women proposing to their BFs lately. Am I missing something?? pretty little liars gifs

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    BriSox81 said:
    There's been about 489054390 posts about women proposing to their BFs lately. Am I missing something?? pretty little liars gifs

I must be missing it too!

Anniversary

• Options
    A watch is a really popular one that I've seen a lot of women talk about. You could definitely add an element of nerdiness to to by doing something fun/unique with the box whatever present you choose is in.

Personally, if I were going to propose to my BF I would want to do it with something he would wear pretty much every day the same way women do with an engagement ring. But you can always just shop for him the way you would for a birthday or Christmas.

• Options
    I think you're getting ahead of yourself: a watch is an EXCELLENT proposal gift for a dude, so I would not save it for the wedding day.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    Yep, if you want to give him a gift, go with the watch now. A nice handmade knife might be good too. But also remember that you don't need anything.
  • Options
    I'd go for a watch.

I got DH a Montblanc watch as a wedding gift and he LOVED it.  Like, started sobbing.
  • Options
    If you're really against doing a watch - there's a site called oneshare.com - it's one share of stock, it comes beautifully framed.  You could get him the stock of a company he really likes or I noticed that Tiffany & Co is listed - so it could be a variation of a ring.  They can take a few months to come in though, that's the only 'gotcha'.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Cufflinks are another option (since they're kind of "jewelry"). I recommend something that will last a while, which is why a watch is usually a good call. Something like a TV will eventually become entirely obsolete, for example.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Other random ideas: a tie clip, a stamped metal card with your proposal written on it for his wallet, a star named after him...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/114987164/personalized-metal-wallet-card-nickel
  • Options
    About a year and a half into dating, FI mentioned that if I got him a vinyl copy of "Lady Don't Techno," that he would consider it a marriage proposal.  On some anniversary, I actually tried to find it, but more as a joke/because he wanted it, not really to propose.  I was too broke and the damn thing was like 95 British pounds.  He never got the record.

Sorry, I don't actually have anything to contribute here...

• Options

I second @phira on the cufflinks! I didn't propose to H but I got him those as a wedding gift and he really loved them, especially since he doesn't own a pair himself. Brooks Brothers has some really nice ones.

• Options
    @southernpeach89 I am trying to decide if I want to get J cufflinks or a flask for his wedding gift. The flask is certainly the gift he'd want more, but our venue has serious alcohol rules. While I do wonder how they'd, ya know, catch him, it's likely that even having an empty flask will be a problem if they did catch him.

He's (apparently/hopefully) getting me a leopard print robe with pink fur trim and "Treat Yo Self" written in glitter on the back, and I've also hinted very explicitly that I want a Zora sapphire necklace for my birthday/wedding gift to wear on our wedding day (like THIS but a pendant). So maybe I'll do both.
    Anniversary
  • Options

@phira- if you decide to get him a flask as a gift, I doubt the venue would say anything about that. Our venue didn't allow us to bring any extra alcohol into the venue since they were providing so I didn't test that to see what they would do. Cufflinks are great though and so are flasks. I got H a flask as an engagement gift after he proposed.

Your gifts from him sound awesome! H got me a white silk robe from Victoria's Secret that had Bride on the back. I loved getting to wear that the morning of.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards