Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Is it ever acceptable to use paper dinner napkins? Really nice, ADORABLE napkins?

I can't stand the poly rental napkins!  Does anyone know of inexpensive alternatives?

Best Answers

Re: Is it ever acceptable to use paper dinner napkins? Really nice, ADORABLE napkins?

• Options
    Thanks for all your opinions.  The wedding is being held at a vineyard, in the mountains.  Somewhat rustic. I have found cotton napkins to purchase for around 1.00 each, which isn't bad but you can only get them in ivory or white.  I guess if I go that route I'll have to bring in my color elsewhere!
    Photo attached.  I would use the cocktail size on the dessert table.
  • Options
    GinnaNGinnaN member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2014
    That is literally the only situations where having paper napkins would be acceptable. Otherwise, they should be linen, with only the exception above. 
    Are you aware of a rental source for linen napkins, at all? If so, would you be so kind as to share it?
    Caterers normally know where to get linen napkins.
  • Options
    Just curious, but why the negativity toward poly napkins?  If the napkin can wipe my mouth and fingers I really don't care what it is made of.  But I do agree that mixing disposable with non-disposable would be odd.  For example, I went to a wedding where they had plastic cups and cocktail plates but then had china and silverware for dinner.  It made it seem like the couple was skimping in certain places to save a buck or two.

• Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    Amyzen83 said:
    This seems like one of those victimless crimes but then again I don't give a rats ass about little details like that as long as I have a seat for my butt, food to satisfy me, cake and drinks I don't have to pay for

This. At the end of the day no one is going to care if you have paper or cloth napkins.

This. Nice napkins will look nice, but I don't remember the napkins from any wedding I have ever been to, so ultimately I don't think it's worth worrying about.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Just curious, but why the negativity toward poly napkins?  If the napkin can wipe my mouth and fingers I really don't care what it is made of.  But I do agree that mixing disposable with non-disposable would be odd.  For example, I went to a wedding where they had plastic cups and cocktail plates but then had china and silverware for dinner.  It made it seem like the couple was skimping in certain places to save a buck or two.

Do you think it really matters though? For instance, we're renting glassware for the tables (wine glasses and water goblets and water pitchers) but our bar will have heavy duty disposables since the cost of renting glassware for the open bar all night it just not reasonable to us. Ultimately I really don't think it matters. I mean, if it were a black tie wedding I would be super confused, but at your average event, I honestly don't think I would notice.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Do you think it really matters though? For instance, we're renting glassware for the tables (wine glasses and water goblets and water pitchers) but our bar will have heavy duty disposables since the cost of renting glassware for the open bar all night it just not reasonable to us. Ultimately I really don't think it matters. I mean, if it were a black tie wedding I would be super confused, but at your average event, I honestly don't think I would notice.
    I mean in the end it really doesn't matter.  I just know that I find it odd.  To me I tend to think 'why do I get a real glass for water and wine but I get a plastic one for everything else?'  But the change in glassware doesn't prevent me from drinking.  I just know that I notice those types of changes and it makes me question why the change was made.  But it certainly doesn't effect anything.

• Options

We're doing the same for glassware. Since our venue doesn't have anywhere to wash/sanitize dishes, the caterer can't wash glasses between uses. The rental is over $1/glass. It would cost us a fortune to cover the 5 hour open bar!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

We're doing the same for glassware. Since our venue doesn't have anywhere to wash/sanitize dishes, the caterer can't wash glasses between uses. The rental is over $1/glass. It would cost us a fortune to cover the 5 hour open bar!

Exactly. I can't even imagine how many glasses we'd go through in 5-6 hours. It would be way more additional $ than I could justify spending. And I'd rather spend it on food and alcohol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Exactly. I can't even imagine how many glasses we'd go through in 5-6 hours. It would be way more additional $ than I could justify spending. And I'd rather spend it on food and alcohol.

Yep. We've opted to upgrade the alcohol selection instead of paying for glassware (I refuse to serve Montezuma's Tequila, ew). We upgraded the food selection and we are bringing in mead instead of having champagne (at an enormous additional cost, but we're having a lot of Irish folk, they're so excited we'll be serving it). Our venue is definitely not formal, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I think our guests will appreciate shrimp cocktail more than glassware.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards