Snarky Brides
Options

I was wrong: you CAN start the snowflakes even younger

http://www.buzzfeed.com/erinchack/pointlessly-gendered-products?sub=2913089_2332263

Aside from all the other problems that come along with gendered marketing: the baby toys.  A diamond ring rattle for a "sweet baby girl" and a toy saw for a "busy baby boy."  Never too early to stress the importance of getting a huge rock on that finger.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: I was wrong: you CAN start the snowflakes even younger

• Options
    Oh lord. The diamond rock rattle. I can't.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    Oh Lord God Almighty.

The saw is kind of fun. And I'd totally buy it for a kid of either gender
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    Those are hilarious. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    lol, ridiculous! I agree about buying the saw for girls btw.  FI's cousin had a baby girl last year and we gave her a huge tool bench toy for christmas and she loves it.  We might need to send her that saw to go with it
  • Options
    I follow Goldieblox on Facebook, the other say they posted a pic that showed the difference between toys fron the 70's and today. In the 70's yoy could get toy prams in black, blue, red, yellow, bright bold colors. Today you can get pink.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I bought that rattle for my friend's daughter. Lol. She picked it out though. We were out shopping and her daughter reached for that package and started playing with it. My friend was didn't want to get it for her because the girls birthday was the next day and she had bought her several presents. So auntie jdluvr06 bought it for her as an early birthday treat.
  • Options
    jdluvr06 said:
    I bought that rattle for my friend's daughter. Lol. She picked it out though. We were out shopping and her daughter reached for that package and started playing with it. My friend was didn't want to get it for her because the girls birthday was the next day and she had bought her several presents. So auntie jdluvr06 bought it for her as an early birthday treat.
    Haha!  Too funny.  If the kid starts playing with it, it's already a done deal.

Something specifically about the marketing bothered me even more than usual about these though: girls are "sweet" and boys are "busy."  It still rubs me the wrong way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    The whole things is rediculous. However the mens tissue one made me crack up.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Lol! I use the same razor blades as my fi because let's be honest ladies, women's blades suck!
  • Options
    Haha I use men's blades from Dollar Shave Club and I just convinced Fi to sign up too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I actually bought those darn pink earplugs once (they were cheaper than the regular kind) and they actually do fit way better! I have tiny ears... earbuds never fit me right either unless I get the ones with the interchangeable buds. I need to get more.

And the amazon reviews for the Bic "pens for her" are comedy gold.

Is it just me or are men's razors... better?
  • Options
    Okay, all of that crap was completely ridiculous - separating it by genders - so stupid. The one thing I don't understand is the hair growth. Isn't hair growth partially dependent on hormones? Men are going to have some that are different from women so if you're a woman wouldn't you want a specific hair growth because you don't have the same hormones as a man? Correct me if I'm wrong please but that does seem important to separate by gender.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Okay, all of that crap was completely ridiculous - separating it by genders - so stupid. The one thing I don't understand is the hair growth. Isn't hair growth partially dependent on hormones? Men are going to have some that are different from women so if you're a woman wouldn't you want a specific hair growth because you don't have the same hormones as a man? Correct me if I'm wrong please but that does seem important to separate by gender.
    That seemed a little weird to me too.  But if you look at the boxes the active ingredient is exactly the same.  So I guess it really is just marketing.  I have no idea how Rogaine works, though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Dude, I can buy Venus for women, for myself(which never works anyways), and the Mach1 for FH(which he loves). Guess what? My sister ends up with those stupid chick razors, and FH is out of his when he goes looking :) haha!

It is kinda dumb though. I don't get that whole messed up thing about boys playing with girls stuff and vice verse. My son LOVES looking at the dolls. When I was PG last year, he wanted one. Did I buy it? No, bc when I asked if he seriously wanted one, he said "no, they're for girls". Well, ok then. I'd totally have bought it. Why? B/C I'm not worried he'll "turn"(as ignorant people say), and men NEED to learn as early as possible how to physically handle a baby! BUT, I wouldn't be too keen on him taking it places, b/c I know he'd get made fun of for it :( Such is society. Oh, and I grew up with Tonka trucks and matchbox cars(I had about 5 Barbies or dolls). My parents couldn't afford double toys, and all my same-age cousins were boys anyways(the ones who lived close enough to play with).
  • Options
    The chemistry sets available for kids really bother me with their gender stereotypes. (I'm a chemist, so I love looking at things like that… especially since I volunteer in an elementary school as a "science coach.) They have these soap and makeup making sets for girls, but then crystal growing sets and bug kits and everything else for boys. It drives me crazy! 
  • Options
    I had a crystal growing set and it was pretty much my favorite toy growing up!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    jessiray said:
    The chemistry sets available for kids really bother me with their gender stereotypes. (I'm a chemist, so I love looking at things like that… especially since I volunteer in an elementary school as a "science coach.) They have these soap and makeup making sets for girls, but then crystal growing sets and bug kits and everything else for boys. It drives me crazy! 

That is why I try to buy the Smithsonian stuff for the kids in my family when they want some kind of science kits. Most of them are gender neutral.
  • Options
    I am a car enthusiast, and it's amazing how hard it is to find other women who are interested in talking about the mechanical aspects of cars. FI and I are often vendors at car shows, and every time families with little girls walk by our booth and want to play with the model monster trucks we have on display, the parents try to distract them. Girls can like cars and trucks too. Guys come over to our booth and are amazed when I start talking chemical processes and performance improvement from using our product. As if the only thing I know about cars are if they're "pretty" or not.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    My barbies had two purposes. 1. My horses needed someone to take care of them. 2. Popping their heads off to figure out how to get them back on.
    I was actually more interested in Hotwheels and which was the most aerodynamic to win races. And I hated my mom for taking away my Legos and giving them to my brothers because "Young ladies don't build things." She was always very sexist.
  • Options
    I had a HUGE lego set, an erector set and Knex. I guess I was never a young lady because I loved (and really still love) to build stuff. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    Pink tools and "chick" beer? Um.... no.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @Teddy917 Ha- same reason I had one barbie, my horses needed a stablehand.  I didn't even give her a real name, just called her "farmer".  Good times.
    I laughed at the tag-line for the yoghurt.  "My boyfriend ate normal yoghurt once, and now he's pregnant".  Hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards