Wedding Etiquette Forum

FAQ

Special thanks to Danieliza and Squirrly for putting this all together!

Welcome to the Knot Community!  You will find a lot of helpful and honest information here on the boards.  Please be sure to read through posts to get a feel for the board and the way people interact and to see if your question has recently been asked and answered.  Every board has a different personality, so be sure to check out not only this board but your Local Board and your wedding Month Board as well.

Please note, the board is slow to load posts sometimes so while it might seem like it's taking forever, please DO NOT click the Post button more than once.  Your post will load, you might just have to refresh to see it.

There are FAQs about how the Knot boards work here - http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-tools-help-center/the-knot-about-us/articles/community-frequently-asked-questions.aspx

Here are other Frequently Asked Questions:

1. Do I have to invite kids?  It is okay to have an adults only wedding and reception.  To do this, simply address the invitation to the adults only.  Do NOT put “adults only” or “adult wedding” on your invitation.  Use the envelopes to address it properly and start letting people know in advance by word of mouth that kids will not be invited.  Be prepared for some people to complain to you, to ask you to make an exception, or to threaten not to come.  Decide how you will handle these issues because they will happen.  This is the chance you take. 

2.  Do I send an invitation if someone has already received a Save the Date and said they couldn’t make it?  Yes you should.  People’s plans do change and you want them to know that they are still invited.

3.  Do I have to invite co-workers?  Your wedding is a personal event, not a work event.  There is no obligation to invite co-workers or bosses to your wedding.   If you do choose to invite co-workers, send the invitation to their home and you must invite their significant other.

4.  Can I include my registry in my invitations?  It is considered rude and tacky to put registry info in your wedding invitations.  It is okay to include them in bridal shower invitations.

5. How can I let my guests know that I only want cash?  If you only want to receive cash gifts, don’t register.  When people ask where you are registered you can say “We didn’t register because we are saving up for XYZ”. 

6. I received a gift early, what do I do?  If you receive a gift before the shower or wedding, open it and send a thank you note right away.  Don’t use the gift until after the wedding.

7.  How do I invite people to the “dance” portion of the reception only?  The reception is ONE event.  People must be invited to the whole thing or not at all.  It is NOT okay to only invite some to come after dinner is finished.

8.  Can I just have people stand during my ceremony, it will be really short?  You must have chairs for every butt at the ceremony and the reception, no matter how short the ceremony will be.

9.  Who do I tip and how much?
http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-budget/articles/wedding-vendor-tipping-cheat-sheet.aspx

Re: FAQ

• I disagree with #6, while that is an option waiting isn't necessarily wrong. I think the thank-you notes can all go out after the wedding, especially when most brides wait to order thank-you notes that are personalized with a wedding picture ect. As long as a proper thank-you is sent I think you are covered. And, as long as they are sent promptly after the wedding, within 2-3 months, that is fine. What is unacceptabe is waiting to send Christmas cards as the thank-you, or baby announcements as a thank-you...which I have had happened to me. I personally only received early gifts from two people who lived too far to make the wedding, and I sent them thank-yous after the wedding expressing that I missed them and that I appreciate their thoughtfulness. If a gift is super early, perhaps sending a thank-you with the shower thank-you notes is more appropriate. Just keep track of who sent gifts.

• 6. I received a gift early, what do I do?  If you receive a gift before the shower or wedding, open it and send a thank you note right away.  Don’t use the gift until after the wedding.

Does the highlighted portion apply to engagement gifts?  My grandmother sent us a gift to congratulate us on our engagement.
  • kns1988 said:
    6. I received a gift early, what do I do?  If you receive a gift before the shower or wedding, open it and send a thank you note right away.  Don’t use the gift until after the wedding.

Does the highlighted portion apply to engagement gifts?  My grandmother sent us a gift to congratulate us on our engagement.
    Yes, unless the gift given is to be used during the wedding, ie, toasting flutes or cake server, etc.
  • Great, thank you. I hadn't used them yet because I wasn't sure. I'm glad I didn't.
  • While I understand that #8 is probably being asked by people who are trying to cut costs/corners, it's not always possible, so people shouldn't necessarily be made to feel rude! In my city (and possibly others), if you choose to be married in one of the public parks, depending on the location you are restricted to 6-15 chairs (reserved for people who cannot stand) and otherwise, it must be a "standing ceremony." I would assume that wedding permits on some public beaches state similar rules.
  • banana468 said:

I disagree with #6, while that is an option waiting isn't necessarily wrong. I think the thank-you notes can all go out after the wedding, especially when most brides wait to order thank-you notes that are personalized with a wedding picture ect. As long as a proper thank-you is sent I think you are covered. And, as long as they are sent promptly after the wedding, within 2-3 months, that is fine. What is unacceptabe is waiting to send Christmas cards as the thank-you, or baby announcements as a thank-you...which I have had happened to me. I personally only received early gifts from two people who lived too far to make the wedding, and I sent them thank-yous after the wedding expressing that I missed them and that I appreciate their thoughtfulness. If a gift is super early, perhaps sending a thank-you with the shower thank-you notes is more appropriate. Just keep track of who sent gifts.

This is incorrect. A thank you note needs to be prompt and for the gift's occasion. A wedding gift should not be thanked with the shower gift even if both are before the wedding. If a wedding gift arrives before the wedding, the thank you note should be sent before the wedding. If that means going out and buying different thank you notes then that is the burden of receiving lovely gifts.
    In addition to that clear and accurate information, I will add the following......

More often than not, if a bride receives an early gift, my guess is that this gift has been shipped to your home.  The timeliness of sending the thank you note becomes even more imperative as the gift sender needs to know their gift arrived to you in a timely manner.
  • JCbride2015JCbride2015 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    mobkaz said:
    While I understand that #8 is probably being asked by people who are trying to cut costs/corners, it's not always possible, so people shouldn't necessarily be made to feel rude! In my city (and possibly others), if you choose to be married in one of the public parks, depending on the location you are restricted to 6-15 chairs (reserved for people who cannot stand) and otherwise, it must be a "standing ceremony." I would assume that wedding permits on some public beaches state similar rules.

I think anyone that would knowingly put the comfort of their guests second to a ceremony venue is being incredibly impolite.  You have a choice to make your guests comfort a priority.  Out of respect to the wedding couple, guests will make all attempts to arrive to the ceremony early. Forcing guests to stand while waiting for a ceremony to begin, and then forcing them to stand during your ceremony, is wrong.  
    ------------- ETA box

Yep.  Any couple choosing a venue (like a park) that has a chair limit, is choosing the pretty venue over the comfort of their guests.  Not okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• WildMageletWildMagelet member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited February 2014
    While I understand that #8 is probably being asked by people who are trying to cut costs/corners, it's not always possible, so people shouldn't necessarily be made to feel rude! In my city (and possibly others), if you choose to be married in one of the public parks, depending on the location you are restricted to 6-15 chairs (reserved for people who cannot stand) and otherwise, it must be a "standing ceremony." I would assume that wedding permits on some public beaches state similar rules.
    There is a beautiful city park with a botanical garden near me that I would have loved to use as a ceremony location.  They do not allow chairs of any kind.  We are not using them.

Pretty photo backdrop does not trump guest comfort.  Choose to have the ceremony somewhere with chairs and just take pictures in front of the pretty backdrop instead.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • i guess i was thinking of parks & beaches more in the context of "a venue that is still pretty but less expensive as it's public property" for the sake of throwing a wedding you can afford, not disregarding the comfort of your guests. thanks for the thoughts, everyone.
  • edited February 2014
    I have a bad back, and at my FSIL's wedding, she had 100 guests show up to her ceremony and only 40 chairs.  Over 40 chairs, there was an extra chair fee, so they tried to save money and had no extra chairs.  I did not know this and wore heels.  Heels+ Grass+ Standing the whole time= being laid up for four days after the wedding. And I am young.  I would never kick a noticeably disabled person or an elderly person from their seats.  Back problems have the joy of making you look fine, when you feel like hell.  No one understands why a 34 year old woman needs to sit down. If there were enough chairs, I wouldn't have been put in that situation.
  • I have a bad back, and at my FSIL's wedding, she had 100 guests show up to her ceremony and only 40 chairs.  Over 40 chairs, there was an extra chair fee, so they tried to save money and had no extra chairs.  I did not know this and wore heels.  Heels+ Grass+ Standing the whole time= being laid up for four days after the wedding. And I am young.  I would never kick a noticeably disabled person or an elderly person from their seats.  Back problems have the joy of making you look fine, when you feel like hell.  No one understands why a 34 year old woman needs to sit down. If there were enough chairs, I wouldn't have been put in that situation.
    This, 100%.  I'm 24 and have severe arthritis in my right knee.  If I stand for more than twenty minutes my knee swells and the next few days are miserable.  There's no feeling like being my age and sitting when an elderly person has to stand.
  • I have a bad back, and at my FSIL's wedding, she had 100 guests show up to her ceremony and only 40 chairs.  Over 40 chairs, there was an extra chair fee, so they tried to save money and had no extra chairs.  I did not know this and wore heels.  Heels+ Grass+ Standing the whole time= being laid up for four days after the wedding. And I am young.  I would never kick a noticeably disabled person or an elderly person from their seats.  Back problems have the joy of making you look fine, when you feel like hell.  No one understands why a 34 year old woman needs to sit down. If there were enough chairs, I wouldn't have been put in that situation.
    TOTALLY rude on their part to not have enough seats.  If you can't afford seats for every butt, invite less butts.

That being said... if you have back issues then why on Earth were you wearing heels??? lol
  • I'm just curious...why are these questions being asked in a general sticky rather than in their own threads?
  • Because They look nice with the dress, had I known I was going to be on my feet the whole time, I would not have worn heels.  I wear heels, out to dinner, at my desk, and anywhere I will be seated for the majority of the time.  When I know I will be standing, doing something rigorous, or walking on uneven terrain, I wear flats or sneakers.  I thought I was safe at a wedding since I try to avoid the dance floor.
  • JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    Jen4948 said:
    I'm just curious...why are these questions being asked in a general sticky rather than in their own threads?
    Because the questions all point back to one of the items listed in the FAQ originally posted and the sticky is not a closed post.  I agree though, questions really should be started in a new thread!
  • edited May 2014
  • This might be something just where I am from but I always see people being invited to just the dance, I've been numerous times, or the Facebook groups for the wedding dance. Weddings I've been to I've seen people just coming at the dance never considered it a bad thing. My boyfriend has already said it a few times to invite some to the dance part, I don't have enough people to invite to the reception to even worry about the extras.
  • This might be something just where I am from but I always see people being invited to just the dance, I've been numerous times, or the Facebook groups for the wedding dance. Weddings I've been to I've seen people just coming at the dance never considered it a bad thing. My boyfriend has already said it a few times to invite some to the dance part, I don't have enough people to invite to the reception to even worry about the extras.
    The fact that it is common does not mean that it isn't rude.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards