Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

BBQ Reception Menu: tips, tricks, trouble??

I am thinking about doing BBQ for my wedding reception this September for 150-200 guests. The venue is a fabulous rustic-chic (littlebrookmeadows.com)

The reason we are discussing this is to save money on food costs.

I would love feedback from those of you who have had BBQ for their receptions as to how to keep it classy, and ideas, and what if any negatives there are with this.

There will be linen table clothes, open bar (with glass ware) live band, and it is a Friday evening reception.

Thanks!!

Re: BBQ Reception Menu: tips, tricks, trouble??

• Options
    I would love to go to a wedding that served BBQ!  I would try and stick with items that can be eaten with a knife and fork rather then have to have people digging in with their hands.  So brisket, pulled pork/chicken, rib tips, mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, veggies, corn bread, biscuits, beans, etc, etc.

Use china, not plastic or paper and make sure to have the food items served out of nice serving trays rather then aluminum foil pans.

I think when it comes to keeping things classy is not really about what you serve but how you serve and present it.

• Options
    I agree with maggie.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I agree with Maggie and Lynda. I really don't want to eat ribs and get my hands filthy at a wedding when I'm all dressed up so stick with fork and knife items wherever possible. Sturdy plates and proper cutlery help, too, for bone-in items especially.

Make sure you have items to accommodate your vegetarian or vegan guests as well as guests with food allergies.
  • Options
    Thank you!
  • Options
    I'm kinda doing bbq too with 200 people! I have a family friend who does catering on the side and make delicious food.

I'm thinking:
    pulled pork and beef
    mosacholie (now I kinda want mac & cheese instead)
    cheesy potatoes
    mixed salad
    mixed veggies
    rolls

My fiance requested chicken too!
    Not sure what else to make to go with the spread. Anyone have ideas?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    baked beans/barbecue beans
    coleslaw
    corn (on the cob or sauteed, like maque choux)
    green beans (country style, stewed with bacon or ham)
    grits
    potato salad
    collard greens
    grilled veggies
    tomato & cucumber salad
    3 bean salad
    pasta salad w/veggies
    pickle/peppers/onion tray
    cornbread
    biscuits

• Options
    We are doing buffet-style bbq for our wedding. But our wedding is VERY non-traditional/country. The theme is "farm party" - if that says anything. I am currently getting quotes from our local places.
    I want brisket, chicken and pulled pork--
    With mac and cheese (for the kids) - potato salad and coleslaw for the sides
    as well as cornbread or some sort of roll

Some of the places will come and set up, serve and tear down for you. I am getting that included in some of the quotes. I am not sure what we're going to do though. The food part has been a little overwhelming for me.....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    BBQ here, too, catered by a local smokehouse. We're having brisket, roasted pork, and whole smoked turkeys. Our sides are bbq baked beans, macaroni (not sure if it's mac salad or mac & cheese now that I'm looking at my notes LOL), garlic redskin potatoes, corn, tossed garden salad, and bread & butter. 

When the bar opens (pre-ceremony), we will have fresh veg trays, fruit trays, and other easy to eat finger snacks.

Near the end of the night, our caterer will bring out anything left over from dinner, cold cuts, bread, etc.

J wanted bbq ribs but I said "You realize I'm wearing white, right?" We compromised with having ribs as part of our rehearsal dinner, also catered by the same smokehouse :)
    ~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• Options
    I love BBQ.  As a guest at a wedding, I'd want extra napkins available with BBQ though. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards