Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is this ok to write on thank you cards?

I don't use instagram or any of those so I don't want to do the hashtag for pictures thing. But I love pictures and sometimes guest candids become the favorites. 
Would it be ok after the wedding when I send out thank you cards to include on them "We would love to see your favorite pictures from the night- please email them to xxxx@yahoo.com" or is that like pushy/ rude? 

Re: Is this ok to write on thank you cards?

• Do you have Facebook so you could just take their pics from there? Personally I would feel forced if I got that message to send my personal pictures and groan as I was doing it. That's why they hired a photographer, right?
  • We created a free share site with Shutterfly, but so far no one has used it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    jenna8984 said:
    I don't use instagram or any of those so I don't want to do the hashtag for pictures thing. But I love pictures and sometimes guest candids become the favorites. 
    Would it be ok after the wedding when I send out thank you cards to include on them "We would love to see your favorite pictures from the night- please email them to xxxx@yahoo.com" or is that like pushy/ rude? 
    To be honest, I'd find it pushy.  If I'm going to share, I want to be the one to initiate it without being nudged.  We also may not both like my favorite picture from the night.
  • I don't think this is appropriate. It's like, "Thank you for this gift...oh, and can you send me pics from our wedding?"
  • True! Maybe queerfemme's idea is the best. I know I'm hiring a photographer but she's only one girl she doesn't have super powers to take the first kiss shot from different angles and someone might get a really good one.

• jenna8984 said:
    True! Maybe queerfemme's idea is the best. I know I'm hiring a photographer but she's only one girl she doesn't have super powers to take the first kiss shot from different angles and someone might get a really good one.
    The bulk of people only have one photographer at their wedding. People make do and end up with wonderful photographs.
  • Honestly, I think it makes it sound like the motive of the TY's is for your own sake (I know that's not what you mean). I love Femme's idea!
  • I get where the OP is coming from.  I don't (and never have/will) used social media.  The only guest pictures I've seen were taken by our moms and my MOH.  We had 2 professional shooters at our wedding and they really did a fantastic job covering everything we wanted and then some.  It would still be nice to see some other pictures, too.  In one of the pro photos it looks like one guest video'd the ceremony and I'd like to see that, but it's kind of awkward to ask, especially since this isn't someone I'm close with (I also find it really wierd that someone who is not a relative or a vendor I hired felt the need to video my wedding).
  • I don't think it's pushy - if people don't want to share, they don't have to, it's not a subpoena. You could do like QF said and either give those out at the reception or add them as an insert to your thank you notes.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • PS. If you add them to the Thank you notes, photos could have already been deleted. Most people emailed me within 1 day of the wedding.

I do also think it blurs the intention of the Thank you note.
  • Does your circle use facebook? We woke up the morning after the wedding to a ton of pictures on facebook. We didn't ask, they just appeared. If you really want pictures right away give your camera to someone and ask them to use if if they were going to take pictures. My husband gave his camera to his GM's wife and she took a ton and gave it back to us at the end of the night, so we had those right away and didn't have to rely on them being emailed, uploaded, posted or whatever else.

I would not mention pictures in the TY notes. If you want to share a photo sharing URL, do it at the wedding.
  • PS. If you add them to the Thank you notes, photos could have already been deleted. Most people emailed me within 1 day of the wedding. I do also think it blurs the intention of the Thank you note.

Agree. I think it is ok to ask guests to share photos but it should be presented more as a fun option for the whole crowd during or right after the wedding, not a written request addressed to particular guests weeks later. Some guests love to share photos but it works better when the excitement of the wedding is still fresh for them. By the time they get the thank you notes, they have moved on and digging out photos to email is a chore.
  • There are phone apps that do this, and they're preferable to instragram, imo, because the whole world doesn't see them:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/28/wedding-photo-apps_n_3519413.html

• I see nothing wrong with this idea.

I do think that setting up some type of share site might be better than an email just because sometimes emails have limits on how many pics you can send and that might be annoying to your friends and family.

Shutterfly is easy and free.
    sexy, harry styles, best song ever, cute, beautiful, asdjglñlñ, marcel
  • I ditto PPs that it's OK to ask for the photos, but not in the TY note. Do what QF suggested and put cards on the tables.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • edited February 2014

Personally, I often prefer the amateur candid shots to some of the professional ones for events like this.  In my wedding favor bags, I plan to include a card requesting to share photos with us via Shutterfly Share site, Facebook, or email.  We also have a private Facebook Group page for wedding details so people can share photos privately on there, rather than publicly to everyone on FB (we are having destination wedding, so FB seemed easiest to communicate all the info, travel arrangements and send updates, since 95% of our guests are on there regularly... in addition to mailing real invites and info).

But, I think including it in the thank you card may be considered inappropriate.  It's kind of putting a condition on the thank you.  So, I would do something at the wedding or send a separate postcard or request.

• nicoann said:

Personally, I often prefer the amateur candid shots to some of the professional ones for events like this.  In my wedding favor bags, I plan to include a card requesting to share photos with us via Shutterfly Share site, Facebook, or email.  We also have a private Facebook Group page for wedding details so people can share photos privately on there, rather than publicly to everyone on FB (we are having destination wedding, so FB seemed easiest to communicate all the info, travel arrangements and send updates, since 95% of our guests are on there regularly... in addition to mailing real invites and info).

But, I think including it in the thank you card may be considered inappropriate.  It's kind of putting a condition on the thank you.  So, I would do something at the wedding or send a separate postcard or request.

Honestly, don't make the request in gift bags either.  Let people decide for themselves what they're going to do with their photos.  If you want copies, ask people for them on an individual basis-not across the board, because that makes you seem very gimme-gimme when that's not your intention.
  •  

There are phone apps that do this, and they're preferable to instragram, imo, because the whole world doesn't see them:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/28/wedding-photo-apps_n_3519413.html

We used the WedPics app and got some good stuff. I emailed or facebooked it to as many guests as I could to get the word out. It wasn't widely used but it was free and fun! I had a photog, but sometimes friends just get the best stuff.

In addition, WedPics sent me a coupon for a free wedding album and I was able to use any pictures I wanted. It expired before I got my pro photos back but I made a nice album out of friend pics from WedPics and Facebook and only had to pay ~$5 shipping!

• I'm debating between WedPics and the Wedding Party App.

I kind of want to do instagram too because I'm a programmer and can very easily use their API to pull pictures and put them on my website (more for fun than anything else).
    Anniversary

• jenna8984 said:

We actually had little business cards printed and they were left out at the reception that said "Did you take photos today?  Please share them with us at xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com"   We got a lot of candid photos that guests took. 

We did the same thing. Not everyone used it, but we got a lot of pictures this way.

• Thanks for the great ideas! 

• We signed up for the Wedding Party app (it's free).  Guests can upload their pictures under our wedding.  We put information about it on our website.
  • We will be providing cheap disposable cameras (one on each table) so guests can take pictures and will have a basket for the cameras to be deposited in at the end of the night.  We will be letting guests know they will be able to see and download the pictures at [whatever site we end up using].  Just a suggestion :)
  • @ashleyp42 this is probably a stupid question but last time I used one of those was 11th grade prom in 2001.....how do you get the film pictures digitally without scanning each one?

• We're doing the Wedding Party App as well. My sister did it for her wedding and there were tons of awesome pictures from the whole weekend!

And Jenna-if you develop any kind of film now - you can request a digital copy along with it that comes on a disk. (at least at most national chains that do photo printing.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards