Wedding Party
Options

Trying to decide wedding party outfits...Help!

* 1. Is it ok to ask that the bridesmaids wear any black cocktail dress and any nude shoe, that they own or they can choose to buy? * 2. For groomsmen is it ok to ask them to provide their own black dress shoes/socks, black dress pants, white dress shirt, and black vest? (We are providing mint/tiffany blue colored ties for groomsmen and accessories for the bridesmaids and bouquets/boutonnieres.) * 3. I want to provide a mint/tiffany blue colored statement necklace for the bridesmaids as well but I am not sure if it will go with their dress. Should I ask them to pick one?

Re: Trying to decide wedding party outfits...Help!

• Options
    1. Yes, that is fantastic actually.
    2. The vest part is the only thing that would worry me since vests are not truly intended to be worn without a jacket and most that are sold off the rack these days have those lame lining-only backs which look really bad uncovered. I would ask for a dark suit with no vest and a white dress shirt (which actually is similar to what we did though we had light blue shirts and provided dark blue ties). Plus black pants+white shirt+black vest screams 'waiter' to me.
    3. Do a sash if you want the color on the bridesmaids. A statement necklace a) will not even really show up and b) will never be useful again anyway and c) ribbon/fabric for the sash will be cheaper than necklaces.
  • Options
    2. The vest part is the only thing that would worry me since vests are not truly intended to be worn without a jacket and most that are sold off the rack these days have those lame lining-only backs which look really bad uncovered. I would ask for a dark suit with no vest and a white dress shirt (which actually is similar to what we did though we had light blue shirts and provided dark blue ties). Plus black pants+white shirt+black vest screams 'waiter' to me.
    3. Do a sash if you want the color on the bridesmaids. A statement necklace a) will not even really show up and b) will never be useful again anyway and c) ribbon/fabric for the sash will be cheaper than necklaces.
    I agree with all of this, except #3.  You can probably find some statement necklaces reasonably cheap, maybe 10-15$, though probably not AS cheap as the fabric.  Try etsy, I have seen lots on there.  And I think they will show up - they are called statement necklaces 'cause they make a statement!  

Personally, I prefer the necklace look to the sashes, but do what you like best since it's your wedding and you are paying for them.  It's hard to say whether or not your BMs will not wear the statement necklaces again, but it doesn't really matter to them if they don't have to pay for them.  If you really wanted to you could let them choose their own (within your budget) so that they would be more likely to get more use out of them.
  • Options
    I totally agree with all of the things that @artbyallie said. 

I do like the idea of adding a sash, but if you prefer a statement necklace, you could have the girls pick theirs out, bring them to Charming Charlies and have them get something in the color tone you want (If you do this, you will have to pay for it).  I do like the idea of different  statement necklaces with a black dress; I tried to find a picture but failed.

I also want to say... I would love to just be able to get a new black cocktail dress as a BM dress. LOVE.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with all of this, except #3.  You can probably find some statement necklaces reasonably cheap, maybe 10-15$, though probably not AS cheap as the fabric.  Try etsy, I have seen lots on there.  And I think they will show up - they are called statement necklaces 'cause they make a statement!  

Personally, I prefer the necklace look to the sashes, but do what you like best since it's your wedding and you are paying for them.  It's hard to say whether or not your BMs will not wear the statement necklaces again, but it doesn't really matter to them if they don't have to pay for them.  If you really wanted to you could let them choose their own (within your budget) so that they would be more likely to get more use out of them.
    Agree with this.  Statement necklaces CAN be very cool when done well.  And they may not be used again but I'm pretty positive a sash wont be either, not to mention a sash may not look good on every dress that is selected.  

OP, for the necklaces I would select 3 or 4 you like and send them links and put it to a vote.
  • Options
    Completely agree with PP re the groomsman attire and sashes instead of necklaces.  Just wanted to add that my bridesmaid dream is to be in a wedding where the bride says "wear a black cocktail dress".  That's awesome!
  • Options

i'd be worried about the necklaces for one reason: if you buy them, without knowing the style of dress that each girl is wearing, you might get a necklace that doesn't really go with the neckline of her dress.  If you want to go that route, I'd buy several different necklaces (and more than you actually need) that are returnable, so that the girls can pick whichever one looks best with their individual dress and you can return the extras after the wedding.

I wouldn't let the girls get their own necklaces if you really want them to all be the same exact color either.  But the sash thing is also difficult if you do different dresss (who knows if a sash would look good on all of them?)  I'd either do the "buy lots of different necklaces" thing or just put a tiffany blue ribbon around their bouquets and call it a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards