Honeymoon Discussions

i am so pissed...cancelled honeymoon flight ***updated in comments

cruffinocruffino member
First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
edited February 2014 in Honeymoon Discussions
I get a call and email today advising me that our honeymoon flight to Costa Rica on Saturday has been cancelled. What!?! It's only Thursday.

So I call and after waiting on hold for 1HOUR they tell me that the next flight they can put us on is Tuesday. Oh hell no. DH is a teacher he only has one week off. We don't want to lose 4 days of our 9 day trip.

So after pitching a fit and talking to a supervisor, they re-book us on another flight, also leaving Saturday on another airline from another airport. Instead of arriving at noon after a direct flight, we will be arriving at 7p after a flight with a 4 hour layover.

I'm pissed, but I'm determined to get there!

Re: i am so pissed...cancelled honeymoon flight ***updated in comments

• Do you have travel insurance?  They may be able to help out with the extra travel meals since the delay is more than 6 hours than originally scheduled.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:
    Do you have travel insurance?  They may be able to help out with the extra travel meals since the delay is more than 6 hours than originally scheduled.
    no we don't. never thought we would need it! fortunately everything but the plane ticket is refundable. 
  • That sucks. Did they say why they were canceling?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    That sucks. Did they say why they were canceling?
    they said "due to weather conditions", but i don;t buy it. cancelling 2 days in advance and the weather forecast for saturday isn't dire. 
  • They probably had to cancel hundreds or thousands of flights yesterday, today and possibly tomorrow. They are probably cancelling Saturday and Sunday flights to prepare for the backlog, honestly.
  • They probably had to cancel hundreds or thousands of flights yesterday, today and possibly tomorrow. They are probably cancelling Saturday and Sunday flights to prepare for the backlog, honestly.
    She's right. Everyone who got cancelled yesterday and today (more than 6,000+ flights nation-wide) still needs to get where they're going, and those people (usually) have priority for rescheduling. It's basically a first-come, first-cancelled, first-served, first-rebooked basis.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • cruffino said:
    lyndausvi said:
    That sucks. Did they say why they were canceling?
    they said "due to weather conditions", but i don;t buy it. cancelling 2 days in advance and the weather forecast for saturday isn't dire. 
    It's very possible.  They have canceled some  6000+ flights over the last few days.  Planes are not where they should they would be. It's very possible they already know your plane isn't going to be available.

Still sucks, but it's part of traveling in the winter.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm sorry. That really sucks.
  • That really sucks :( I feel your frustration... especially when you purposely book a good flight time to maximize your vacation! This polar vortex and its consequences need to stop already.

Something similar happened to me when I went to CR. My flight was cancelled already the day before because American had computer problems. Called them, on hold for seriously hours and they wanted to rebook us 2 days later or fly us La Guardia/ Chicago/ overnight layover/ CR, neither of which was OK to me. I cried to the lady on the phone and eventually managed to convince her to book us into Nicaragua instead (we were planning to go there anyway). But yeah, it went from an 11 AM arrival to 7 PM which turned into 10 PM by the time we were in the hotel!
  • That would be so frustrating! Does travel insurance help with cases like this? I know I have travel insurance through the resort I am staying at but I have not booked my flights yet as it is a year and 3 months away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    yup, i assume this is why. but surely they know its my honeymoon and i take priority!
  • CMGragain said:
    Weird things happen in the travel business.  Cruffino, I'll bet you'll get there!

Returning from our recent Hawaii cruise, our flight was delayed from San Diego to Denver.  We had a tight connection to catch to come home from Denver.  A lovely young girl was very worried about missing the same flight.  She was flying to spend a long weekend with her boyfriend in a ski lodge.
    I know that I can't walk long distances (like the B concourse of the Denver International Airport!) so I had arranged a handicapped transport, which means a little motorized golf cart with extra seats.  It was waiting for me when I exited the !st flight.  The driver asked "Is anyone traveling with you?"  "Yes!  My husband and our daughter," I replied.  "Come on, dear, get in and he will drive us to the gate so we won't miss the flight."  Her mouth dropped open, and then she recovered and said "Thanks, uh,  Mom!"  We all got to the connecting flight, though our luggage didn't make it until the next flight.  It had been one of those weather days on the east coast, and I knew we would have trouble getting another flight across the Rockies if we missed that one.  I enjoyed seeing the girl embracing her boyfriend in Grand Junction.  She was so relieved and happy to have made the flight.  Come to think of it, he looked pretty happy, too.
    One of these days I'm going to get my knee replaced.
    that was very sweet!
  • Did you buy your tickets with a credit card and not a debit card? If you did, it automatically includes consumer protection and sometimes even travel insurance for cancelled flights and you may be able to get some money back. It might be worth investigating this. I'm sorry this happened!
  • Did you buy your tickets with a credit card and not a debit card? If you did, it automatically includes consumer protection and sometimes even travel insurance for cancelled flights and you may be able to get some money back. It might be worth investigating this. I'm sorry this happened!
    thanks for the tip! yes, we booked with a credit card. i'll give them a call. 
  • I know you're on different flights now and it's all set but for future reference always get travel insurance. Nobody expects the unexpected but it happens. Last year FI and I were supposed to go on a caribbean cruise. It was booked for 7 months, we even got a free balcony upgrade, we were so, so excited. THREE mother effing DAYS before we were supposed to depart I was involved in an accident. I was "ok" but had severe open wounds. I would have had to pack 1 whole suitcase of bandages, guaze, ointment, antibiotics, pain reliever. And I would not have been able to go in the pool, or get it sandy at the beach, or go zip-lining like we had booked. I literally would have just sat there at the buffet for a week soaking my food in tears, so we canceled. We had insurance and got our money back for everything and we were able to use the money for a vacation when I was healed 6 months later. It was a terrible enough experience being injured, and with all the doctor's bills it would have been a real kick in the teeth not being refunded for our trip. Emergencies do happen!

Have a great honeymoon!!

• @Jenna8984

Absolutely about the trip insurance. I learned my lesson with this close call.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards