Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

two bridal gown dilemma! How do I take pictures in both?

Ladies! please help!  I purchased a vintage dress back in May of '13 when I was at a vintage shop in VA.  I loved the dress and it was affordable and oh so unique and beautiful.  It's a sheath cut but very immobilizing.  I'm SOO mad at myself because I didn't consider the reception for the dress.  I only considered how it would look walking down the isle, and I left out the whole concept of the reception (dancing and being up and down).  I have issues walking in it and trying to walk up stair steps!  So now I'm going to pick up an additional dress for the reception, then my fiance asked...."how are you going to take formal pictures with both dresses?" DUH! I have no idea.  Maybe the answer is very obvious but I'm going to ask what others plan, or have done.  So what do you all suggest?  How does a bride capture both dresses in pictures that are organized and formal....not just candid shots of the reception?

Re: two bridal gown dilemma! How do I take pictures in both?

• Options
    You could take some pictures before the ceremony if you are not opposed to that. Then if you have enough time after the ceremony you could change and then go take pictures with the rest of the bridal party in your second dress before entering the reception. The other option is to just have the first dress in your getting ready pictures and the ceremony itself, and a few shots right after, and then change before taking posed wedding party pics. I have to assume this is not done often, most brides that have a second dress wear one for the ceremony and pictures and then change into a more relaxed party dress for the reception; I don't think it is very common to have formal shots in both.
  • Options
    You could always do it another day.  I know that in some places people do bridal portraits before the actual wedding day.  It's usually a more relaxed day with just the bride and the photographer, but if you are looking to get pictures with you and groom I imagine that you could pay to have the portraits done soon after the wedding that way you get pictures of both dresses.

As far taking pictures with the whole wedding party, if that is what you were thinking, in both dresses I would give that idea up (sorry no offense).  It just seems like it would be unfair to make everyone wait while you did a outfit change.Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm only having 1 dress but am hoping to do first-look photos before the ceremony. 

What type of dress are you looking at for the reception?  Would you feel comfortable doing your 1st dance in the wedding dress already purchased and getting a less formal-party dress for the rest of the night?

Anniversary
  • Options
    You can have your photographer pull you aside for a few photos during the reception (should take less than five minutes). You only need a few shots, right?
  • Options

You could always do it another day.  I know that in some places people do bridal portraits before the actual wedding day.  It's usually a more relaxed day with just the bride and the photographer, but if you are looking to get pictures with you and groom I imagine that you could pay to have the portraits done soon after the wedding that way you get pictures of both dresses.

As far taking pictures with the whole wedding party, if that is what you were thinking, in both dresses I would give that idea up (sorry no offense).  It just seems like it would be unfair to make everyone wait while you did a outfit change.Good luck!

I agree-not fair to the rest of the wedding party. I was going for formal pictures with my new hubby and my daughter and his son
  • Options

I'm only having 1 dress but am hoping to do first-look photos before the ceremony. 

What type of dress are you looking at for the reception?  Would you feel comfortable doing your 1st dance in the wedding dress already purchased and getting a less formal-party dress for the rest of the night?

My first dress is very simple, but hard to move in. The one I want for the reception is more traditional with tuell and sparkles...more of a ball gown. I'm in the Army and my first instinct was to go with a very understated dress...NOW I want to be in more of a ball gown, but there's a special story around the dress I first bought so I really want to wear that too. I'm being complicated.
  • Options
    not a huge fan of 2 dresses you could see if you could get the first dress bussled up so that you have more room to dress in it.

like others have said do formals in one dress and the second dress be your party dress or do the formal pictures in the party dress a day before or something
  • Options
    Unfortunately my first dress will not bussle it doesn't even have a train
  • Options
    I only had my one wedding gown, but I did bridal portraits as soon as the alterations were done with my gown.

One, because I wanted to spend time wearing it.  Simple as that.  I LOVE my dress, and any excuse to put it on.
    Two, because I wanted to try WEARING it and seeing how it really looked when I was walking around.  Was the hem to long with my shoes?  Would I need to tape anything down so there were no embarrassing moments on our wedding day?
    Three, because I had the photographer to myself with an entourage of people to help me get dressed, and to help me around the site I used for my bridals (the Texas State Capital).

This is the ONLY way I can see you getting photos with BOTH of your gowns.  You could POTENTIALLY ask if your bridesmaids have their gowns in, if they'd like to do some photos with you, but having you AND your groom AND your bridal party in BOTH gowns on your wedding seems discourteous to your guests, or a PITA for you as it would cut in to reception time.

Plus, doing bridal portraits was just FUN!!  I had so many adults giving me compliments and little girls calling me a princess that it made me feel super special well before my wedding day.  :) 
  • Options
    we did a variety of photos before, after the ceremony and during the reception, so I am sure you can organize it with your photographer that there will be a dress change and you would like formal pictures in both.  

Anniversary
  • Options
    I only had my one wedding gown, but I did bridal portraits as soon as the alterations were done with my gown.

One, because I wanted to spend time wearing it.  Simple as that.  I LOVE my dress, and any excuse to put it on.
    Two, because I wanted to try WEARING it and seeing how it really looked when I was walking around.  Was the hem to long with my shoes?  Would I need to tape anything down so there were no embarrassing moments on our wedding day?
    Three, because I had the photographer to myself with an entourage of people to help me get dressed, and to help me around the site I used for my bridals (the Texas State Capital).

This is the ONLY way I can see you getting photos with BOTH of your gowns.  You could POTENTIALLY ask if your bridesmaids have their gowns in, if they'd like to do some photos with you, but having you AND your groom AND your bridal party in BOTH gowns on your wedding seems discourteous to your guests, or a PITA for you as it would cut in to reception time.

Plus, doing bridal portraits was just FUN!!  I had so many adults giving me compliments and little girls calling me a princess that it made me feel super special well before my wedding day.  :) 
    Um I love you! You are soooo me! This was exactly what I told my mother and fiance and I got shut down.  I'm doing this....second reason I love you....you used the acronym PITA! Not even my best friend understood what that meant.  I love this idea.  Now if I only could find a photographer that would just grant us access to a DVD and not request that we buy a ridiculous package that costs upwards of 3500.  Weddings are fun but stressful...oh well drink a glass of wine!
  • Options
    I don't understand why they'd shut you down, unless the cost would throw you over budget.  Mine was a chance for some extra pretty photos AND a trial run for the gown (I also scheduled my hair trial for that day, and make up too), so for -me- it just made logical sense.

It also gives your photographer a chance to get some practice in with you, without the stress of it being the "big day". 

I honestly had so much fun doing mine (but the photographer is a friend of the family). 

I know we skipped the videographer; and that IS something I regret now.  What about a good friend with a tripod and a good video camera, if you're looking to save?  In hindsight, I wish we'd have done that. 

I also know, before I approached our friend, I reached out to the local photography departments at the nearby colleges (I also did that for my musician too).  That's another idea to find someone.

It'll all come together.  :)
  • Options
    As a photographer I included the bridal shoot AND engagement shoot as a "freebie" in all my packages just so I could spend more time getting to know the bride (and groom) before the wedding so I would capture all the right stuff during the wedding so taking pictures of 2 gowns would have been fun for me. 

If you want your groom in them and don't want to do them before the wedding, I agree with PP- slip out after dinner.  You will have some time.  We are actually doing a FEW formals with the entire wedding party (like 5.. I know which ones I want) immediately after the wedding (when you would do your first dress) and then because I want to attend my cocktail hour we are cutting that short and doing some more bride and groom shots while everyone else is finishing dinner (when you might be able to do a 2nd dress).  Like PP said, that doesn't have to take long.  Everyone else will be finishing dinner anyway..

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't understand why they'd shut you down, unless the cost would throw you over budget.  Mine was a chance for some extra pretty photos AND a trial run for the gown (I also scheduled my hair trial for that day, and make up too), so for -me- it just made logical sense.

It also gives your photographer a chance to get some practice in with you, without the stress of it being the "big day". 

I honestly had so much fun doing mine (but the photographer is a friend of the family). 

I know we skipped the videographer; and that IS something I regret now.  What about a good friend with a tripod and a good video camera, if you're looking to save?  In hindsight, I wish we'd have done that. 

I also know, before I approached our friend, I reached out to the local photography departments at the nearby colleges (I also did that for my musician too).  That's another idea to find someone.

It'll all come together.  :)
    I like the idea of scheduling my hair trial and make up day to do some photos. Man why didn't I think of that myself.  You're awesome!  Thank you!
  • Options
    I can't take the credit.  I'm sure I stumbled across that somewhere here on The Knot and was like "OHHHH!!!  Mental note if I decide to try and do bridals, schedule it ALL for the same day!"

Sure, it makes for a long day, but...what the hell.  THAT's a trial run for the wedding day too, which is a SUPER long day!  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards