Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

"Mrs" panty on wedding day

I thought there was nothing wrong with this, but I told my bridesmaid that I bought a white thong with "Mrs" embroidered in blue for my something blue on my wedding day. She gave me a raised eyebrow.

Is it wrong to wear something that says Mrs during the ceremony? I thought that I could wear them again in the future so I preferred 'Mrs' to 'bride'.

image   image   image

Re: "Mrs" panty on wedding day

• Options
    Does it really matter what she thinks?  No one is going to know that you have them on unless you plan on mooning everyone at your wedding.  If you like them then wear them.

Do I think they are a bit cheesy?  Yup.  But they are underwear so who cares.

• Options
    Haha okay. No I don't plan on mooning my guests, ESPECIALLY not during the ceremony. Then everyone would know I'm wearing Mrs panties before I'm even married! :p oh the horror.

Thanks.

image   image   image

• Options
    Technically speaking, the tradition means for your something blue to be visible. Or maybe she was just side-eyeing you for telling her about your underwear? Anyway. It's not like this really will make a difference to anyone else.
  • Options
    It is no one's business what panties you wear on your wedding day.  I do hope that you won't advertise them or have photos taken!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragain said:

It is no one's business what panties you wear on your wedding day.  I do hope that you won't advertise them or have photos taken!

No of course not! My bridesmaid had asked me what my something blue was, so I told her. No one but then husband will see those suckers on the wedding day! Okay except my mom when she puts me in my dress.

image   image   image

• Options
    I don't remember hearing anything that the something blue has to be visible. I've heard of people doing a blue garter (something that again only your husband would see unless you do a garter toss) or use blue thread to embroider something inside your dress.  It's no ones business what kind of underwear you are wearing on your wedding day or any day! And she shouldn't be side-eyeing you when she asked. Also, I agree you can totally wear them again, good choice
  • Options
    I agree with PP, it is underwear, wear whatever you want. No one will know the difference. My only concern would be the comfort of wearing a fancy thong all day. It might be fun to save them for the honeymoon or later that night. 
  • Options
    My cousin did this at her wedding, I saw them before she was wearing them and thought they were really cute. Go for it!
  • Options
    FWIW, I still wear my "bride" panties. I think it's totally fine. Go for it.
  • Options
    I don't remember hearing anything that the something blue has to be visible. I've heard of people doing a blue garter (something that again only your husband would see unless you do a garter toss) or use blue thread to embroider something inside your dress.  It's no ones business what kind of underwear you are wearing on your wedding day or any day! And she shouldn't be side-eyeing you when she asked. Also, I agree you can totally wear them again, good choice
    Yes, if you are going by tradition, of how the something old, something new.. etc started when yes the blue item need to be visible to help ward off the Evil Eye, which could make a woman barren. Also the something borrowed should come from a woman who has had many children, to pass along the fertility. The something old, should be from a woman with the longest, healthiest relationship you know. I cant remember the something new.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

Yes, if you are going by tradition, of how the something old, something new.. etc started when yes the blue item need to be visible to help ward off the Evil Eye, which could make a woman barren. Also the something borrowed should come from a woman who has had many children, to pass along the fertility. The something old, should be from a woman with the longest, healthiest relationship you know. I cant remember the something new.

Interesting! I had never heard of that! Nor the evil eye. But, if a something blue is to prevent being barren, then blue on underwear actually sounds like a pretty smart idea.

Thanks for sharing the traditions!

image   image   image

• Options
    I thought there was nothing wrong with this, but I told my bridesmaid that I bought a white thong with "Mrs" embroidered in blue for my something blue on my wedding day. She gave me a raised eyebrow. Is it wrong to wear something that says Mrs during the ceremony? I thought that I could wear them again in the future so I preferred 'Mrs' to 'bride'.
    Are you sure the reason she gave you a raised eyebrow is because you'd be wearing "Mrs." before you were technically married? To each her own, you go for it if this is what you want, but personally this is very much not to my taste and I would definitely side-eye anyone who's telling me about wearing cheesey underwear. It would be a general "I can't believe you're actually doing that" side-eye, just like if someone told me they bought sweatpants with something written on the ass, or were super excited about wearing a new pair of Crocs this summer. 
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Okay hearing that is where the tradition started, I no longer wish to have my something borrowed, something blue etc.  So women are barren because they did not wear blue, and not because of infertility issues, and the woman could have controlled it if she wore a blue article of clothing?  WOW. I definitely don't want to adhere to misogynistic traditions on my wedding day that only serve to make women feel like crap.  I know this is not why people still do it, but to me, it is the equivalent of jumping over the broom. To each his own, but I would not want to embrace tradition, saying only a women is susceptible to evil spirits on her wedding day. 
      Back to your subject before my rant... lol... stick with the panties.  Your FH will find those so cute on your wedding night. I'd wear them too, but i am technically not going to be a Mrs. because I will be keeping my last name.
  • Options
    Wear them if they make you happy.

@themuffinman16 the blue is to prevent the evil eye the borrowed is for fertility.

Also everyone forgets the last line to the poem anyway "a sixpence in your shoe".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

@themuffinman16 the blue is to prevent the evil eye the borrowed is for fertility.

Also everyone forgets the last line to the poem anyway "a sixpence in your shoe".

Fi bought/gifted me a sixpence couple of years ago

• Options

Not all of us forget.  ;)

My mom had a sixpence in her shoe, which we affixed to a charm at the bottom of my bouquet, hoping that the luck and success of her marriage would 'rub off' on mine.  And, as my bridal shower gift, my mom bought me a sixpence from the year my FI was born (he's "old").
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards