North Carolina-Outer Banks

108 Budleigh brides

Any general advice? Anything you wish you had known before your wedding? 

Also- for those brides who had a beach ceremony and then reception at Budleigh, which beach do you use? Was it a free access beach? Did you set up chairs or anything? Did you provide transportation from the ceremony site to Budleigh?

My FI and I are debating planning a beach front ceremony. He wants to do ceremony and reception at Budleigh. TIA!

Re: 108 Budleigh brides

• The marshes lighthouse is walking distance from the Budleigh.  That is where we are getting married in September.  We are also having the reception at the Budleigh.  My planner (Beth Pallett) suggested it and we loved it.  She did have us look at Hargrove and Holden beach accesses.  They are both really nice, have parking and are free.
  • The Marsh Lighthouse is a great option.  We used Ramp 1 of the Hatteras National Seashore (but stayed to the left which is still part of South Nags Head).  It was free, and we set up chairs.  We used OBX Trolley for transportation.
    image June 22, 2012
  • Thanks ladies.. For Marshes lighthouse, can you set up chairs? 
  • Good Morning!

Only up to 30 chairs on the Pier; thats the town ordinance. 

I'm having about 65 guests, so half will have to be standing.  Not my ideal situation, but it will be a short ceremony, and the site is beautiful.  Having my guests just be able to walk to Budleigh is fantastic too. 

Good luck!

• I am using the grass overlooking the lighthouse.  The dock at the lighthouse is beautiful but a little bit of a disaster when walking in heals.  On the grass you can set up as many chairs as you want.   

Here is a post from the wedding association website.  Sarah and Jacob (I act like I know them) used the grass off of the lighthouse.
  • s.cruz83 said:
    I am using the grass overlooking the lighthouse.  The dock at the lighthouse is beautiful but a little bit of a disaster when walking in heals.  On the grass you can set up as many chairs as you want.   

Here is a post from the wedding association website.  Sarah and Jacob (I act like I know them) used the grass off of the lighthouse.
    Thanks so much for this tip! I hadn't heard about using the lawn, but those pictures are gorgeous!
  • We had an OF house and had it right on the beach, it was MP 16. The beaches tend to be wider in Nags Head & South Nags, so you have a lot more space to work with. We did setup chairs and really, every bride & groom should. Your guests took time from work and traveled this distance, they should all have a place to sit for the ceremony. Most people arrive 20-30 mins early, plus ceremony time. Comparing chair rental to the entire costs of the wedding, it's worth it. We did not provide transportation. It came down to the must-haves vs the wants,

• OBX2011 said:
    We had an OF house and had it right on the beach, it was MP 16. The beaches tend to be wider in Nags Head & South Nags, so you have a lot more space to work with. We did setup chairs and really, every bride & groom should. Your guests took time from work and traveled this distance, they should all have a place to sit for the ceremony. Most people arrive 20-30 mins early, plus ceremony time. Comparing chair rental to the entire costs of the wedding, it's worth it. We did not provide transportation. It came down to the must-haves vs the wants,
    Thanks for this! We definitely want chairs for everyone, that's why I've been asking if people set up chairs- so I could see if there was enough room/ if they were allowed to.
  • I am also looking for a ceremony spot near budleigh. I wanted the beach but it looks like you can only have 40 chairs on the beach (my guest list is 100). I am now checking into the light house lawn. It does seem silly to rent chairs for a 30 minute ceremony when I will have chairs back at budleigh. Anyone know of any rentals that do hourly?
  • If you want the beach, you can still do it. I set up 100 chairs even. As long as you don't have them out from 9 am on.. We set ours up at 3 ish for a 5 pm ceremony and they were off by 6. The folks at Ocean Atlantic Rental said theyve never seen it been an issue. The thing is that they want to leave space for service vehicles so as long as you're not taking up the WHOLE beach...and in Nags Head and South Nags Head, like someone said earlier, they are wider beaches..
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2013
    I had 96 guests and didn't have any issues with setting up the chairs on the beach. Like Anna said, as long as the chairs aren't there all day, you should be fine. We also had a S. Nags Head ceremony, so we had more beach to work with. Have you found your beach house yet? My family had an 8br oceanfront and had the ceremony there......very convenient. We did not pay the event fee bc we didn't have the 96 guests in our house, they were on the beach, which is open to the public. Village Realty was aware of this and had no problems with it and the event fee was never discussed.

• I am also planning my wedding in the OBX  for Aug 2015 and this post has been so helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards