Moms and Maids

How to honor moms

I would like to honor our mothers who both raised my FH and I. He doesn't like the rose ceremony idea or having them come up to the ceremony at all. I am having my dad walk me down the aisle. And my FH doesn't want the candles, or sand. Is there any other way to honor them without making our dads feel horrible but make the moms feel special? Please help!!

Re: How to honor moms

  • bethsmilesbethsmiles Denver, CO member
    10000 Comments Sixth Anniversary 500 Love Its First Answer
    Why would anything you do to honor your moms make your dads feel horrible?

    Usually you get the moms a nice corsage. You could also have your mom walk you down the aisle with your dad. And your FI can do a mother-son dance at the reception if he wants.


    doeydoBlue_Birdlizybeff
  • We are doing the Unity Candle thing for the moms...mostly because FI's dad is his best man, and my dad is walking me down the aisle, and all of our siblings/their spouces are in the wedding party so it felt weird to not have our moms included in the ceremony somehow.
  • sarahuflsarahufl New York member
    Tenth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    We are having both of our parents walk both of us down the aisle.

    My siblings both did it and my mom always talks about how special it made her feel.
    image
  • You could have them each do a reading? And definitely go with the corsages as well.
  • Why would anything you do to honor your moms make your dads feel horrible?

    Usually you get the moms a nice corsage. You could also have your mom walk you down the aisle with your dad. And your FI can do a mother-son dance at the reception if he wants.


    I just don't want to hurt our fathers feelings. I feel if I recognize one in say a program and not say anything about the dads it would hurt feelings.

    My mom is anti-corsage. We are doing the mother son dance for FH and mom.

  •  

    scribe95 said:
    Why is he so against having the moms involved in the ceremony at all?
    He wants it to be about us and not anyone us...I on the other hand would like to take the time to honor our mothers. He thinks the ceremony should be strictly us
  • sarahufl said:
    We are having both of our parents walk both of us down the aisle.

    My siblings both did it and my mom always talks about how special it made her feel.
    I thought about that...But I prefer my dad to do it
  • You could have them each do a reading? And definitely go with the corsages as well.

    My mom is shy and cant speak in public. His mom will probably say something about how she doesn't think this should be happening lol. Not a good idea ;)
  • crltx said:
     

    scribe95 said:
    Why is he so against having the moms involved in the ceremony at all?
    He wants it to be about us and not anyone us...I on the other hand would like to take the time to honor our mothers. He thinks the ceremony should be strictly us
    I think his is a valid point of view. After all, your mothers presumably already made their own marriage vows. You and he are the two getting married.

    That said, when they were escorted up to their seats, our mothers also took a moment to sign the family Bible we were being given.
    image
  • Jen4948Jen4948 Houston member
    Eighth Anniversary 10000 Comments 500 Love Its 25 Answers
    crltx said:
    You could have them each do a reading? And definitely go with the corsages as well.

    My mom is shy and cant speak in public. His mom will probably say something about how she doesn't think this should be happening lol. Not a good idea ;)
    Maybe they could just walk in the processional?
    doeydolc07

  • crltx said:
    Why would anything you do to honor your moms make your dads feel horrible?

    Usually you get the moms a nice corsage. You could also have your mom walk you down the aisle with your dad. And your FI can do a mother-son dance at the reception if he wants.


    I just don't want to hurt our fathers feelings. I feel if I recognize one in say a program and not say anything about the dads it would hurt feelings.

    My mom is anti-corsage. We are doing the mother son dance for FH and mom.

    I don't care for corsages either.  What about a nosegay (petite bouquet) for the moms instead?  Or is your mom against having personal flowers altogether?  I'm also not sure why the moms need more acknoweldgement than processing down the aisle, especially if your FI is against giving them a role in the ceremony.
    lc07
  • I've been MOG twice and soon to be MOB later this year.  In both my son's wedding's I didn't want the spotlight at all day of, though I was very involved in the planning and am super close to both son's.  It's not my wedding :-)   You might want to ask the Mother's what they want... 
  • Similar problem here! It's more my mother being really possessive of me (she raised me alone, and she thinks me getting married means I'll never talk to her again somehow).

    We're not doing candles or sand either, but I'm thinking of having her walk me down the aisle even though I'm not crazy about idea. She also insists that she must have flowers, because, what? I don't love her, and I don't want to honor her, my mother, the most important person in my life?

    Anyway, the point is my mother is incredibly sensitive (and a little paranoid). If your mother is more laid back, do you think she'll really be bothered that she's not singled out during the ceremony?

    If the FI doesn't like the mothers' roses idea (we might be doing that), will you each be saying anything besides scripted vows during the ceremony? You could throw in, or ask your officiator to throw in a line about how grateful you are to your wonderful mothers etc. etc. You could even include it in your thank you toast at the reception if you're doing one.
    crltxperdonami
  • crltxcrltx member
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    slb40 said:
    Similar problem here! It's more my mother being really possessive of me (she raised me alone, and she thinks me getting married means I'll never talk to her again somehow).

    We're not doing candles or sand either, but I'm thinking of having her walk me down the aisle even though I'm not crazy about idea. She also insists that she must have flowers, because, what? I don't love her, and I don't want to honor her, my mother, the most important person in my life?

    Anyway, the point is my mother is incredibly sensitive (and a little paranoid). If your mother is more laid back, do you think she'll really be bothered that she's not singled out during the ceremony?

    If the FI doesn't like the mothers' roses idea (we might be doing that), will you each be saying anything besides scripted vows during the ceremony? You could throw in, or ask your officiator to throw in a line about how grateful you are to your wonderful mothers etc. etc. You could even include it in your thank you toast at the reception if you're doing one.

    No my mom wont be mad she is singled out. I just felt it was important to honor them. Some way shape or form. I love the idea of speeches. I might ask the officiate to do that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards