Wedding Reception Forum
Options

OOC

Re: OOC

• Options
    Have you checked into historic sites? Many of them do not restrict catering (let you bring in your own food/beverage).  With non-restricting catering, you may have to purchase added insurance, a liquor license, hire licensed bartenders, added rentals, etc. So be sure to factor in those costs while comparison shopping. 

Community centers (e.g., 4H) are also a good resource.  
    20130121-125529.jpg 
      Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    emmyg65emmyg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    VFWs, community centers, public parks (county, state, etc.), church basements, art galleries, theaters, etc. Search for "event space."
  • Options
    I think your problem is looking at restaraunts.  There are lots of venues that are just a building, but allow catering to be brought in.  Look for historic buildings, libraries, parks, museums, galleries, theaters/concert venues.
  • Options
    MomoChunMomoChun member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    emmyg65 said:
    VFWs, community centers, public parks (county, state, etc.), church basements, art galleries, theaters, etc. Search for "event space."

I think tese are all good suggestions. It makes perfect sense to me that a restaurant would not let you bring in other food. that how they make their money.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Also, something to remember if you want to have a non-meal reception, is the timing.  If you start your ceremony at 2 PM, with your reception to start immediately after, you are ok to non serve a meal.  Your reception will probably wind down around 5 - 6 PM, so people can go grab dinner.  You are going to serve something other than drinks, right?  As you will find yourself with a bunch of drunk people at the end of the reception.

Another thing to think about, since one of your families will be traveling a good distance, how will they feel about not getting a meal at the reception, then needing to venture out into a new area to find dinner?  Not to say your plan is wrong, but something to consider.

I also recommend reaching out to the local boards for NJ and NC to see if anyone there has any recommendations.  Are you looking in South Jersey at all?  I recommend Gibson House in Evesham Twp (Burlington County), you should be able to bring in your own food.  They have a great big back porch overlooking a small golf course and the inside is nicely decorated.

• Options
    I have to agree with OilveOilsMom,  NJ to NC is a full day event.  If I had to travel either way I would be a little peeved to have little or no food offered to me...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards