Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Looking for a honeymoon destination with waterfalls

My fiancée and I are trying to compromise on a honeymoon location. I really wanted to go to Hawaii and he wanted to go to Turks and Caikos. Turks and Caicos looks expensive to stay and he doesn't really want to go to Hawaii. Anyone have any suggestions of places that aren't too far from the south east of the us and have some waterfalls and mountains? Probably want to stay under $6000/$7000. Thank you!

Re: Looking for a honeymoon destination with waterfalls

• Options
    Costa Rica and Belize are worth looking at, although I'm not sure if Belize has mountains. Jamaica may also work. Asheville, NC also has lots of waterfalls in the area and is in the mountains. 
  • Options
    Jamaica has waterfalls and there is are some falls in Samana, Dominican Republic.

Check into St. Lucia, I think they also have waterfalls...
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    Second Costa Rica. I went last year with a friend and we visited Rincon de la Vieja National Park. This is not the most popular area (that seems to be the Arenal area) but it had volcanoes and tons of waterfalls.
  • Options
    Turks and Caicos is pretty much flat. So, I would not go there if you want mountains, it's really not the place to be. I agree with pps on Costa Rica, Belize, and St. Lucia.

• Options
    Definitely recommend Costa Rica. It has mountains, rain forests, water falls, and beaches. Such a beautiful country. I spent about a week there last summer and spent about $4000 for two people.
    photo tumblr_mfhfonwf671rg1b79o1_500_zps27a85afc.gif
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Puerto Rico also has a decent rainforest and waterfalls.  However, the best location for waterfalls I've been is Kauai.  Why doesn't your FI want to go to Hawaii?
  • Options

I think you could do a really nice vacation on St. Lucia with that budget - flight is about 4 hours from the southeast US and they have lots of all-inclusive resorts.  Also, mountains, rain forests, etc. 

I'd agree that Hawaii would have everything you want, but $6000-7000 might be tough - flights from the southeast are generally $1,200 or so round trip, which would eat up a substantial amount of your budget.  Also, food and lodgings aren't cheap typically.  The less expensive hotels won't have that "honeymoon feel" that you're probably looking for.

I just got back from Sandals in St. Lucia (there are three of them).  If you like the beach, my favorite beach was the one at the Grande (we stayed at the La Toc - which was beautiful but the water was rough on the beach so we had to spend most of the time at the pool there).  You can probably get a room for $500-600/night, which includes all food and booze, airport transportation, and some water activities.  Flights will probably be $600-700 each - for a week that would land you right around $6k (there are also plenty of excursions available off-resort, which you would have to pay for, so budget that in if you're interested).  FI kept saying that St. Lucia reminded him of Kauai, so it does have a bit of that Hawaii feel to it.

• Options
    I vote Costa Rica or Puerto Rico! Both are easy flights from the southeast and are within your budget. Although you didn't mention the time of year you would be travelling. You may want to avoid PR during hurricane season. August-October.
  • Options
    I'd go for Costa Rica or Belize. My FI's uncle has a home in Costa Rica and it is gorgeous there. One bonus for Belize is that English is their official language, so there is less of a communication barrier. My FI absolutely loves waterfalls too.  We are taking a Caribbean cruise that stops in Belize and were very disappointed that the waterfalls were too far from the port we go into.

• Options

Iceland :x! We're doing a purposefully cold weather honeymoon and spending a lot of time visiting the waterfalls of Iceland during our two week honeymoon.

• Options
    I've been to Ocho Rios in Jamaica-- has beautiful waterfalls that you can climb.
    imageimage">
  • Options
    St Thomas or St John!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    St. Lucia has a waterfall  called diamond back falls.  I still think the scuba diving, and the zip-lining over the rainforest were more impressive.  I think there is only one set of falls on the Island, or one we knew about.  It wasn't busy the day we went, but there were some people there.  They also have geothermal mud baths... which would have been neat (a bit smelly) if we weren't outrageously sunburnt.  
       The hiking on top of Gros Petit mountain is breathtaking.  I still have that photo reserved to my screensaver.  Petit piton is a little more like rock climbing and less like hiking. (probably still fun, but rigorous). When it rains in St. Lucia, it clears right up in a half hour, or so. Knock on wood, the island has never been hit by a hurricane. Our trip cost us $8,000 total, but we did something every day, and stayed in pretty amazing boutique hotel (Calabash cove.) This included dinners out every day, tour guide, activities mentioned above, scuba diving, and private catamaran trip (so romantic.)
  • Options
    I loved The Jewel in Jamaica! If you go, there is a place called the Blue Hole. Amazing waterfalls. IMO better than the ones everyone else go to...cheaper and less touristy too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards