Registry and Gift Forum

Garment bags

Soon after we get married, FI and I will both be going to several academic conferences and (we hope!) on job interviews for professorships around the country. I am therefore considering registering for at least one, maybe two, nice garment bags that fold up like carry-ons but can hold a few suits and dress shirts at once. Our careers thereafter will involve at least a couple of cross country, and possibly international, conferences and research trips a year for each of us. This would definitely be useful gift if anyone got it. But...holy crap are they expensive! The ones I've seen are at least three hundred, mostly 400-600. Other than that, the most expensive item on my registry is a kitchen aid mixer which is a pretty standard item for most showers/weddings I've been to for my family and FI's recently. So my questions are, 1) If you own one of these and travel a lot is it worth it? 2) Would you side-eye a piece of luggage that was this expensive if you saw it on a registry?

Re: Garment bags

• I would be careful with these and make sure they are true carry-on size.  I see a lot of these when I travel and they end up getting checked underneath because they are too big.

The price would cause some concern (and be out of my budget) but it is a practical item and will be used by both of you so I wouldn't side-eye it.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • AprilH81 said:

I would be careful with these and make sure they are true carry-on size.  I see a lot of these when I travel and they end up getting checked underneath because they are too big.

The price would cause some concern (and be out of my budget) but it is a practical item and will be used by both of you so I wouldn't side-eye it.
    Ah yes. It seems like a lot of bags marketed as carry-ons really aren't. There are definitely a lot of other items in a wide variety of price ranges. One of my pet wedding peeves is when I go to view a registry and there is nothing left that is at or under what I can afford!
  • AprilH81 said:

I would be careful with these and make sure they are true carry-on size.  I see a lot of these when I travel and they end up getting checked underneath because they are too big.

Ah yes. It seems like a lot of bags marketed as carry-ons really aren't. There are definitely a lot of other items in a wide variety of price ranges. One of my pet wedding peeves is when I go to view a registry and there is nothing left that is at or under what I can afford!
  • I really don't side-eye anything on a registry unless the entire registry is frivolous items outside of my price range.

I'd imagine that 1) you'll have a wide variety of items at various prices 2 if I knew you it'd totally make sense to see this on your list.

Your registry is really just a wish list. It's not a demand for anyone to buy you anything. It's just a list of suggested items.
  • My H has one that we bought before his firm interviews in law school.  It's a Tumi T-tech trifold.  It is a true carry-on size, and the entire thing zips down. He was able to carry it onto some pretty small regional jets.  

It was very expensive, but it has been worth every penny.  He had to fly with it to Atlanta 8 times in 2 months, and it saved him a lot of time and never wrinkled his suits.  I think this is the one he has:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh and as for side-eyeing, I wouldn't.  Nice luggage is $$$, and if you are both professionals I wouldn't think twice.  I would still probably not buy it (it would be out of my budget), but I would assume it was on your registry for the completion discount.  I'm in a law firm, and it's also the type of gift my coworkers and I might go in on.  If nobody buys it for you, it might be a great gift to buy yourselves with leftover gift cards...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wouldn't side-eye it. (DH and I wouldn't buy it, either, but that's not the point). If it's something you truly want/need/will use, put it on there -- people can go in together and buy it for you or you can pool together gift cards to buy it or buy it using a completion discount. 

Luggage is pretty standard on a wedding registry I think, and good-quality luggage makes sense.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Thanks! I went ahead and added it, mainly for the completion discount, and they do go on sale quite a bit at Macy's. I just wanted to make sure it didn't fall into the iffy category of something like video games. Part of it was just sticker shock since my luggage is currently some hand-me-downs from my parents and I've never actually gone shopping for new, good luggage before. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards