Flowers

Outrageous Florist Price at My Venue! Is This Right?!!!

I fell in love with the my wedding venue in NYC at the first sight. I've done my research and knew that this is a great venue, and the only issue might be the overpriced exclusive florists. I've also read other posts in the community, and decided to contact the florist with the most reasonable price. I sent the florist a few pictures from my Pinterest, and this is the quote I got:

For the purple centrepiece, the price is around $350

Golden branches: $450

Decoration like this for the entire wedding is around $10,000 

+ Delivery + taxes + extra labor expense on holiday weekend

I was shocked when I found out the price! Is the price reasonable? With price like this, I might end up have NO flower at all in my wedding! This is outrageous, or isn't it!!! 

Re: Outrageous Florist Price at My Venue! Is This Right?!!!

• Does she understand that the gold branches are painted, and not plated in actual gold? Yes, I find this price outrageous.
  • She told me that the branches itself would cost at least $100 each! 
    Does she understand that the gold branches are painted, and not plated in actual gold? Yes, I find this price outrageous.

• Well the gold branches are manzanita branches and they are extremely expensive for a branch, IMO. Here is a website that shows you different manzanita branches and their prices (CLICK).  Also, remember that you will not be paying the at cost price through your florist, you are paying at cost times three.

I also think that the ceremony space that you posted is very extravagant and I could see that costing a pretty penny, mainly because of the labor involved in setting something like that up.

And since you said that your wedding is over a holiday weekend, prices are always higher during a holiday weekend then they are on a non-holiday weekend.  Also, since this is an exclusive florist to your venue (which I am guessing that you have to use) unfortunately they can over charge you because they know that you can't go anywhere else.

I would suggest rethinking what you want in regards to your centerpieces.  Speak with your florist
    and let her know what your budget is for all flowers for your wedding and then discuss what they could do to give you the biggest bang for your buck.  A good starting point for your budget is about 10% of your overall wedding budget.  So if your wedding budget is $20,000 then you are looking at spending about $2,000 on flowers.  You of course can spend more or less depending on how important flowers are to you though.

• Well the gold branches are manzanita branches and they are extremely expensive for a branch, IMO. Here is a website that shows you different manzanita branches and their prices (CLICK).  Also, remember that you will not be paying the at cost price through your florist, you are paying at cost times three.

I also think that the ceremony space that you posted is very extravagant and I could see that costing a pretty penny, mainly because of the labor involved in setting something like that up.

And since you said that your wedding is over a holiday weekend, prices are always higher during a holiday weekend then they are on a non-holiday weekend.  Also, since this is an exclusive florist to your venue (which I am guessing that you have to use) unfortunately they can over charge you because they know that you can't go anywhere else.

I would suggest rethinking what you want in regards to your centerpieces.  Speak with your florist
    and let her know what your budget is for all flowers for your wedding and then discuss what they could do to give you the biggest bang for your buck.  A good starting point for your budget is about 10% of your overall wedding budget.  So if your wedding budget is $20,000 then you are looking at spending about $2,000 on flowers.  You of course can spend more or less depending on how important flowers are to you though.

I actually don't think it's that outrageous for a few reasons:

1. Your raw materials are expensive: orchids and mananita branches are pricey.

2. Florists always price everything up 3-4 times. Pricey items at baseline times up-pricing = really expensive

3. You're getting married in NYC. That should be self-explanatory.

4. You're getting married on a holiday weekend. Think about it, this florist is probably doing many weddings that weekend PLUS he/she has the opportunity cost of not getting to go on vacation or spend their time with their families. Add the staff needed to make and deliver your decor/flowers to that equation.

I agree with @Maggie0829, rethink what you want for your centerpieces and talk to your florist. Could you replace the orchids with another purple flower? Could you use a vase to add height instead of branches? I am sure she has some good ideas.

• sissixin said:
    She told me that the branches itself would cost at least $100 each! 
    Does she understand that the gold branches are painted, and not plated in actual gold? Yes, I find this price outrageous.

$100 for a branch? You can get a 24-30" natural red branch for less than $10 from blooms and branches and it looks really full. Look at this video from them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGdhT1lboGM
  • I would go to her with a budget and colors, any must haves, and she what she thinks you should do. It sounds like if you go to her with fancy pintrest ideas you're going to pay through the nose. See what she can suggest in your budget and go from there. GL!
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• I would go to her with a budget and colors, any must haves, and she what she thinks you should do. It sounds like if you go to her with fancy pintrest ideas you're going to pay through the nose. See what she can suggest in your budget and go from there. GL!
    That's a great idea!!! Thank you! Originally I sent over the pictures b/c I had no idea they would cost that much!
    Agree. Tell your florist the amount you want to spend and flowers and colors you like, and see what she/he says.  

• That does seem high but to get the exact look, I get it. They have to get the special branches, paint them all, the flowers looked like orchids which are expensive and then if they don't have the bulbs to hang in their inventory they have to rent or buy them. And they look like a lot of work.

I would talk to the Florist and see if there is something that they could design for you that would give you the same or a similar feel but for a lessor costs. Like change out the type of flowers used, but stay in the same color family and work with pieces that the florist may already have in stock regarding branches, etc.

• The truth is after comparing all the exclusive florists at my venue, the minimum I will have to Spend is $4k, way higher than my budget of $1.5k...
  • if you find a good florist for cheaper in nyc area - please let me know.  i just started researching for a july wedding (behind the timelines probably) and quotes are pretty pricey.
  • @sissixin why do you have to pay 4k do you have to use any of those florists can you bring someone from the outside most venues have a list of prefered venders its places they have dealt with in the past and they know they venue. but you dont have to go with them or does this venue require you to use these florist only?

tell the inexpensive one your budget and see if they can work with it
  • HOLY HECK.  Ok, my experience is that prices vary a lot based on area.  This sounds a little high for NYC, but not super crazy.  I had those same materials (orchids, manzanita branches), but it was in NH and I spent $3000 for 2 bouquets, centerpieces for 10 tables (half high arrangements, half low), 5 cocktail table arrangements, 4 ceremony arrangements, aisle flowers, bathroom arrangement, foyer arrangement, card table arrangement. 

Depending on how many tables and WP members, this could be more than mine.  When I asked Boston florists for the same things, the prices were more like $6000.  My SIL spent $9000 for flowers and had much less than I did, but she was in NYC.  

I think you need to rethink your materials.  Tell them what look and feel you are going for and see what they can create within your budget.  
  • hyechica81 Unfortunately, they are exclusive florists of my venue, so I don't have a choice. I clearly didn't realize how expensive they would be when I signed the contract. Using them is clearly stated in the venue contract.

BlueBirdMB From my conversations with the exclusive florists at my venue, the arrangements you would have costed $6000+. You definitely got a better deal!

kix714 The florists at my venue are exclusive, so I didn't ask any other florists to get more depressed than I am. Sorry can't be much help, but best of luck!!!

• i would still go with your 1.5 k budget and ask her this is what i have to spend what can you do for me. i would not spend more than you comfortable can. and yes a 1.5k budget can be done in the big city
  • This is why you do your homework before signing contracts.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree, just be honest about your budget and do what you can within your means. It's all you really can do, right?

And I had no idea manzanita branches were so expensive for weddings, is that just for the NYC area? They grow wild here. I should start selling branches! =P
  • hey how did it go with the florist. my venue comes with flowers but its artifical ones that look good and not cheep or fake i wont get much back if i go without them and real are not in the budget
  • hyechica81 My venue says as long as I don't use real flower for the centerpiece, I can hire third party vendors. I'm going to look for rental vendors, where I can rent feather trees and other non-flower centerpieces.

• FTR, my sister made her arch. They bought it off amazon and put it together. Then they wrapped it in window drape linens bought from Ikea. The whole thing came to under $200, including the gaudy Ikea chandelier hanging from the top. Then they had the florist make 3 arrangements for it (not sure of cost).

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards