Attire & Accessories Forum

Leftover fabric from wedding dress

I am going to have a bit of leftover fabric (mostly lace) from the bottom of my dress needing to be hemmed.  Does anyone have any unique ideas on what to do with it?  I do not necessarily want to incorporate it into my own attire, but maybe something else.  It doesn't even have to really be for the wedding day. Any ideas?

Re: Leftover fabric from wedding dress

• My mom saved all of my extra stuff in hopes of sewing a christening gown for a baby in the future...
  • A few ideas for the wedding day...
    1) wrap your bouquet stems
    2) use it as a trim on a handkerchief for your Mom
    3) pocket square for your groom
    4) trim the ring bearer pillow (if you are having one)
    5) use it as a ribbon detail on your cake

A few ideas for not the wedding...
    1) embellish a shirt with the lace
    2) make a pillow with strips of lace gathered into a ruffle shape
    3) save it for your future daughter (if you plan on having kids)

• Oh those are good ideas. I love the pillow idea.
    Not disgusting?
  • I made ornaments for us and our parents. I got those glass balls that you can take the top off. I put some flowers from my bouquet, I took some parts of our invitation cut into strips and curled the edges and threw those in, and a piece of the lace that was hemmed off my dress..... they looked nice.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Cut a piece and put it in a locket?
  • I made ornaments for us and our parents. I got those glass balls that you can take the top off. I put some flowers from my bouquet, I took some parts of our invitation cut into strips and curled the edges and threw those in, and a piece of the lace that was hemmed off my dress..... they looked nice.
    oh, that is a fun idea!
  • LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2014
    I love @Maggie0829 and @MuppetOverlord 's ideas!

You could also have some of it made into a picture frame mat for your wedding portraits, kind of like this:

Just make sure that the frame etc is all acid-free as lace has a tendency to yellow rather fast.

Edited- photo didn't load! sorry!

• You could use it to embellish a table runner for your dining room, or decorate a vase in your home. The picture frame idea is very unique, and of course it could be used for future children if you plan to go that route.
  • I have seen Muppet's ornaments, and they came out really nice.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 said:
    I have seen Muppet's ornaments, and they came out really nice.
    Agreed, it's a really cute idea
  • Use it to make a dress for a teddy bear for your future child, if you plan on having one
    Add the fabric to a quilt (full size or for a child, if you are having one)
    Add it to the cover of your wedding album
    Make a matching clutch
    Add the lace to the edge of your veil
    DIY a hair piece of some kind
  • I had enough leftover that my seamstress made a little drawstring bag for me to carry things in at the wedding and two rings bearer pillows. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This made think of something I pinned, which led me here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/greengrassgifts?ref=l2-shopheader-name Pretty cool!
  • Not a very good photo, it's just the one that's still on my cell...but gives you an idea.  You unfortunately can't see much of the flowers or the dress.

I also made some for my wedding party that was just flowers from the RD that were really pretty and the year from our wedding invitation (nothing personalized at all). I gave it to them at Christmas and they really loved it....especially the one who's garden the flowers were from =)
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Wish i could find it again, but I saw a company (maybe on etsy) that would make a bra and panty set out of the lace. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards