Wedding Etiquette Forum

NWR: Not Trying to Eavesdrop

So I was walking down the hall in my building and passed a couple of managers who were clearly discussing someone who's on the verge of getting fired.

Unfortunately I couldn't avoid them (no alternate route around this particular hall) so I heard a lot that was not meant for my ears.

How would you handle a situation like this? My first thought was to just keep walking and try not to think about it but I am sure there's a more graceful way to deal with it.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
eyeroll

Re: NWR: Not Trying to Eavesdrop

• Personally, I would just keep it to myslef and try to forget whatever they said.  No need to add any drama in the workplace.
  • I would keep what you heard to yourself because it is not up to you to say anything.  Also, you have no idea if what they were talking about is actually going to happen or if they are just in discussions and nothing has been decided.  You don't want to be the person who starts spreading gossip that may or may not be true.

• Oh I definitely won't talk about it to anybody at work. I just wonder if maybe you should... remind people that they're talking about sensitive stuff in a public space? Like clearing your throat or something?
    eyeroll
  • I would just hope the person they're talking about doesn't end up walking down the hallway whilst they're talking about it.
  • keep it to yourself. Who knows what will come of it?
  • I would have made SOME sort of noise to make them aware that they could be heard.  Cough, clear your throat, scuff your foot as you're walking... something. 

Actually, I would have done that "sneak-walk" and closed the door for them and given them a look like "oh, i'm gonna close this because you guys are clearly talking about something that should be private"  I've done that before and as long as you are quick & discreet about it, it shouldn't be a big deal.
    If there had been a door to shut, I would have, but they were literally standing in the hallway. I had to walk between them to get where I was going.
    It was weird.

Next time something like this happens, I think I will have a mysterious coughing fit down the hall from them.
    eyeroll
  • I had something similar happen to me.  My previous boss loved to send me on snipe hunts through his e-mail.  Basically, wanting me to go find esoteric or usually non-existent information that he thought he might have had an e-mail about.

On one of my e-mail fishing expeditions, the first e-mails in his inbox were him and two of the project managers talking back and forth about firing one of the employees.  And this was a small office of less than 15 people.  Talk about awkward!  I basically just mentally fortified myself, told myself to forget what I read as best I could, and keep a poker face.

About 30 minutes later while I was still going through the inbox, one of the managers included in the firing e-mails came rushing into my offce.  He was clearly alarmed and started stuttering to me about how boss often has very sensitive e-mails and it is very important for me to keep anything I read to myself, etc.  I told him, while trying to give him a knowing look and a nod, That I understood what he was saying and would keep private anything I saw in boss e-mails.

In your case, I would take the same attitude.  Keep it private and don't let on to anyone what you heard.  I don't think you should even say anything to either person who was talking.  I mean you walked right between them for goodness sake and they still didn't keep their mouths shut!  A bit apalling they were having that kind of a discussion in a public hallway, but people can be foolish.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Do you have an HR department? 

*IF* you felt you really needed to do something I would report it to HR without mentioning names. "Hey, I was walking down a hallway and hear two people discussing something confidential."  Some larger companies have hotlines where you can make an anonymous call with information like that.

Otherwise I would try to pretend you never heard it (but I know that is near impossible).

photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • I've heard a lot of stuff I wasn't supposed to.  Apparently a lot of people think being quiet also means you are deaf :P  I don't try to eavesdrop, but I feel volume control and private spaces are great things for keeping secrets.  

If it's something serious or it sounds like someone is really upset/hurt I don't share, but I'll admit I've shared some stupid shit I've heard.  For instance a while back I literally heard a chick telling her friend "I don't even know why I'm trying to go to college, I don't want to work I just want to marry rich, I'll even pop out a few kids if he wants."  and I'm sorry, but there is just too much in that to not put on my snarky pants and have a good laugh/ feel bad about our generation session with my MOH.  
  • Not your circus and not your monkeys situation here!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards