Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

Bella Pictures went bankrupt!!! Please beware…

A warning to all brides (recent and future)…

Bella Pictures (http://www.bellapictures.com/) filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on May 1st. 

I have contacted Bella customer service, along with every single Bella email I had and NOBODY ever got back to me!! Been trying for months!!!! Phone calls, emails all go unanswered and today I get a bankruptcy notice (Bella filed Chapter 7)!! Are you kidding???? 

Thought I'd post here to warn others. AND because they are still bragging on their website that they are among The Knot's best picks… ("Bella Pictures is pleased to announce we have been selected as a Pick for The Knot Best of Weddings 6 years running. The Knot is the #1 wedding website and most trusted wedding resource.")

I regret ever hiring Bella to cover my wedding… Been literally crying ever since I read this notice.

Re: Bella Pictures went bankrupt!!! Please beware…

• If you are not aware, please file a creditor's claim against them for the amount you paid them.  For Chapter 7, they may liquidate the entire business and then pay off their creditors with the monies from the sale.  If you do not file your claim, you will have no shot at getting your money back.

I'm sorry this is happening to you.
  • Actually I just looked into this (it took quite a bit of research) and this is partially true. Bella Pictures was part of CPI Corp (They run Sears Portrait studios) and they did file for bankruptcy. However Bella Pictures was sold to the American Wedding Group back in December 2012. They also run the Pros and Saavy Pictures, so they are still in business. If you were a Bella Bride I highly recommend you reaching out to them: www.AmericanWeddingGroup.com
  • Terri, 

I just got off the phone with my wedding photographer to see if he knew anything else about this. He told me you should contact the photographer who took your pictures. According to him, all Bella Photographers were subcontractors and they keep copies of all the wedding photos. You may not get your album but you may get the pictures. I hope this helps and I am sorry you are going through this. 

Taylor
  • One more thing...you can tell this upsets me! I just found this one the CPI Corp website:

FOR INFORMATION WITH REGARD TO PHOTOGRAPHY SERVICES PURCHASED THROUGH BELLA PICTURE HOLDINGS, LLC PRIOR TO JANUARY 15, 2013 PLEASE EMAIL THE NAME OF YOUR WEDDING PARTY OR CONTACT INFORMATION & DATE OF SERVICES TO DHEINS@CPICORP.COM

FOR INFORMATION ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY SERVICES PURCHASED THROUGH BELLA PICTURES HOLDINGS, LLC AFTER JANUARY 15, 2013 PLEASE CONTACT AMERICAN WEDDING GROUP AT 1-267-728-3000 EXTENSION 232.

Telephonic inquiries can be made at (800) 873-4214.

• How do I file a claim I can't get a hold of anyone I'm so upset I have no memories of my wedding
  • This is why I would personally stay away from large corporations, and only do business with privately owned, and operated photographers.
    There are plenty of brides who have gotten screwed by privately owned and operated photographers.  I wouldn't use that as my sole criteria.
  • I'm in the same boat!!! Luckily I received my digital prints but they are in jpeg format meaning there is no ability to edit them. Not to mention I never received my albums or prints so per my contract I'm owed over $1400 in merchandise. I received a letter from the bankruptcy court and it says to not file a claim at this time and something along the lines that if you file prior to being notified to do so you could lose out on what is owed. Based on what you are saying above I don't know if this is true or bullshit. Not to mention it is super shady that this company was "purchased" by another company in Jan. '13, didn't tell any of their current customers and then the previous backers wound up filing for bankruptcy 5 months later?!?!  Sounds like some sketchy back office change of hands to avoid dealing with the bigger issue at hand. The new company can say per their recorded messages that they are a family company and care but if that was the truth this whole thing would have been handled better. When you buy a company you take on its debt and all. I'm not a lawyer and honestly don't want to have to pay for one for this issue but I can't imagine the new backer should be able to walk away scotch free while the company continues to operate under the same name!!
  • Did you ever find someone to do your wedding photos? That is really unfortunate and super unprofessional, I'm sorry you had to deal with that head ache. If it makes you feel any better ( which that's not the point) but my photographer called me the monday before my saturday wedding at 9:45pm, which to me is basically tuesday stating that she needed $1200 more dollars on top of what we had already paid her and gave me no reason as to why she was demanding this. I was perplexed, embarrassed for her and outright pissed. I demanded my money back and found someone else within 4 days before our big day - why? because I go into fight mode, not flight and I don't take that from any "professional" considering I am one, I know the standard in which a business needs to be conducted and held.
  • Ladies, always remember: When you sign a contract is a legally binding document. Contracts are there to protect both parties. I know many people don't like to sign contracts or do some type of verbal agreement/deal but contracts are used for a reason...READ THEM!
  • Hi ladies.  Sorry i am a little behind.  I am super pissed, my wedding was 04/21/12, i have my photos, but was wondering what was taking so long with my Album, additionally I have a $410 credit for edited pics that I regret I have been slow to use.  Called and emailed, same results as all of you.  NONE!! I finally (TODAY) got a call from the sweet lil gal at American Wedding Group that I wished I could choke through the phone. She told me to call the Trustee at 973-639-7908 and email Dale Heins.  I have just emaied Dheins@CPICORP.COM I will let you all know if I get any response. 

• I'm sorry to hear you go through this. Good luck!
  • I am also in the same boat.  I have my pictures and my discs just not my album or two parent albums.  I also am owed upgrades in my edits.  I am getting nowhere trying to call people, it is like the runaround.  As for dheins, his response to me was that there are no employees or resources to carry out my product.  This is awful.  If anyone knows what to do or how to go about getting either the albums or at least the money back, I would really appreciate the info!
  • KCatanzaro, I just wanted to react regarding the JPG format.
    I do wedding photography and it IS possible to edit photos taken in JPG format.  RAW format is of course better for a pro to edit as there is more "data" in the file.  it is true that you loose quality every time you save or edit a jpg file 
    but... this is only visible if you edit and re-save the file numerous times. so having your photos edited by a pro (using the proper software etc) you should not notice any quality loss.

Also, Bella Photos farms its work out to private photographers. you can probably find the photographer and work with him/her.
  • I received a letter in the mail regarding the chapter 7 for Bella Pictures (they did go under, I spoke with a member of their legal representation). They should have sent you a notice to file. My photographer from them sucked anyways. I had Michael Blair and he was incredibly rude, unprofessional and did not take quality pictures. When I called to complain, when Bella was still in business, they told me that the portfolio's they show for individual photographers are not necessarily filled with that photographer pictures, they could be done by other photographers.
  • KellyR6782,

I'm in the same boat as many of you when it comes to Bella Pictures. I have the cd of photos (which are not that great) and the video but also previously paid $1400 for a wedding album and two parent albums which I too never received. I have been diligently researching how if possible I can get a refund and I've hit a brick wall each time. I did manage to find the CPI website where you can find a proof of claim form (which I plan to do). 

• Has anyone received a reply from Dale Heins @  Dheins@CPICORP.COM.  I too have received my CD but no album, parent's books, or photos.  I've emailed Dale Heins twice and have not received a response.  I called the Trustee at 973-639-7908 and advised the lady that answer the phone that I was calling about my wedding photos with Bella and as-soon-as she heard the word Bella, she transferred me to a recording to email Dale Heins.
  • JoanE2012 said:
    This is why I would personally stay away from large corporations, and only do business with privately owned, and operated photographers.
    There are plenty of brides who have gotten screwed by privately owned and operated photographers.  I wouldn't use that as my sole criteria.
    I'm actually a groom to be on here planning my own wedding, but as my business I also run a boutique high fashion portrait and wedding studio.

While you are absolutely correct that there are a lot of brides that can be screwed by privately owned and operated photographers...the reason you don't hear about it as often is because reputation is our all.  In my studio for example I have an archival system in place so that if something were to happen to me and I'm unable to operate a studio I actually have other professional photographers on standby to assist with completing the upcoming shoots that are scheduled as well as edit and release the remaining images.  I know many other photographers in the Chicagoland area who have a similar system in place.  Large corporations may not such as in the case of Bella.

I have actually completed the albums for several Bella brides and grooms who have paid for an album, but never got it.  The reality is that you get what you pay for in most cases and photography is no exception.  If you are paying under $2000 for a wedding photographer and the market average is $2500-$5000...then you are going to get the more budget/value driven photographers no matter if its a big business or a small private studio.
  • I'm in the same boat!!! Luckily I received my digital prints but they are in jpeg format meaning there is no ability to edit them. 

WHAT?  where did you get that tidbit of misinformation?  I am a pro wedding photographer for 40 years.  Been shooting digital weddings,  about 50 a year,  since 2005.  Med format film before that.    I shoot ALL my weddings in High Rez jpeg, no need to shoot in raw if you can get exposure correct!    I can edit all my jpegs in Lightroom or Photoshop as needed.  Any photo editing software can edit Jpegs.
  • Did anyone get in contact with Dale Heins? I tried calling and the number has been disconnected and then I emailed and haven't gotten a response back. I did not get my wedding album and photomount. How do I file a creditor's claim against them?
  • @Jamgrl01 You may be out of luck now.  There is a limited amount of time that people can file a proof of claim in re: bankruptcy.  But here is the listing for the bankruptcy, clicky.  You will need to file a proof of claim and mail it to Delaware's Bankruptcy Court.  The state is small, they should only have one courthouse.  You should mail 2 copies of the claim, a cover letter that mentions the case number, and a self addressed stamped envelope so they can send you back a time stamped copy of your claim for your records.  Eventually the trustee should get back to you to let you know if this is too late or not.

Here is a link to the proof of claim form: clicky.  Use the information in the first link to fill out as much as you can on the proof of claim form.

Good luck to you.

• @oliveoilsmom Thank you so much. I am going to try and see if that works.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards