Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Michaels Invitation Kits

Hello,

I have been reading up on Michaels invitation kits and calling around to print shops and just have a more questions before I commit.

I read reviews saying that laser printers were making the ink smear and that inkjet printers didn't have a problem. However when I called Kinkos they said it was the exact opposite and they have laser printers as does Staples. Has anyone gone to get theirs printed and had any issues? I don't have a printer at home and didn't want to spend money on ink to use my parents (which I heard a lot of pain about getting them done in printers at home). 

Also has anyone specifically bought and sent out BRIDES white wave invitations because I noticed on the box it said "extra postage may be required" I don't want to buy double the amount of stamps especially if its just simply getting rid of the ribbon it comes with to lower the weight or thickness. 

Last question... I know there are templates so you can put what you want on everything, but I was thinking last night about the response cards and how some people have a guest others I am only invited them and there are food options. Will I be able to type in __ of __ attending and then have the ones that are 2 initial which food item they want so I know who got what??

Stuck between buying them at Michaels and having a place print them for me, just having a consultation at Kinkos and buying their paper and designs to do them or going with a company and/or Etsy? I don't want to spend much at all on invitations.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: Michaels Invitation Kits

• Options
    I have printed with the DIY kits at home using my inkjet printer - no problem with smearing or anything.

If you don't want to spend much on invitations, I think the DIY kits are your best option.
  • Options
    I bought my invitation kits at Michaels and have printed them and there was so smearing. Mine were the 'skinny purple' ones. We just used a Canon printer.... I have no idea what kind lol but I can only assume it's not laser. I guess it's inkjet. I'm not sure what size yours are but I took mine in all completed and they didn't need any extra postage here in Canada. I haven't sent them yet though. I think you should have no problem typing extra lines or anything on the templates. I may go back in and type something like 1 seat reserved for you (not exactly that wording lol but something like that). I also added a line on the back of my response cards where my guests could write down their favourite song. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'm printing out my Michael's invites right now! I have the Brides "White & Black Damask Invite" set, and it's really easy. I'm doing it at home with a Canon MX892 Inkjet and have not noticed any smearing. All the templates are completely customizable, and we actually did add "_ of _" to the RSVP cards. You could change the wording completely if you wanted, it's just nice to have the printing sizes sorted out.

What I also did was take advantage of Michael's coupons- every week they have either 40% or 50% off one regular-priced item, so I would buy one box at a time over a period of time.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the shipping costs- I'm going to the post office tomorrow to get them weighed! I don't think they seem too heavy, though.

• Options

I'm printing out my Michael's invites right now! I have the Brides "White & Black Damask Invite" set, and it's really easy. I'm doing it at home with a Canon MX892 Inkjet and have not noticed any smearing. All the templates are completely customizable, and we actually did add "_ of _" to the RSVP cards. You could change the wording completely if you wanted, it's just nice to have the printing sizes sorted out.

What I also did was take advantage of Michael's coupons- every week they have either 40% or 50% off one regular-priced item, so I would buy one box at a time over a period of time.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the shipping costs- I'm going to the post office tomorrow to get them weighed! I don't think they seem too heavy, though.

To the bolded - Brilliant!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I certainly took your advice on the michael's coupons I went and bought one box for 50% off so far and then I am going to go back soon to buy another box with another 50% off then I only have to do it one more time. Love saving $60 :)
  • Options
    Once we got everything the way we wanted, we didn't have any trouble printing our invites, and we have an ink jet printer. Had absolutely no smearing, but we did let each invite sit out for a few minutes before stacking just to be sure.

I recommend that you check out the USPS website about sizing and what will create an extra charge. There is a nice list w/ an image that I found to be helpful. I bought square invites knowing that it would be a bit extra. But then also got hit with another extra charge b/c the envelopes were slightly bigger than the max. I was kicking myself b/c I paid attention to the dimensions on the invites and not the envelopes.

Just as a side note, be aware that with the DIY kits, most office stores/places, including Kinkos, can't print on that small of pre-cut paper, it can't be anything smaller than 8.5 x 11 due to their machines. We couldn't find a single store that could do it, which is why we ended up printing our own, and it ended up being easy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards