Wedding Woes

Serious question

Is it OK to take a 5 year old to a liquor store?  I'm not going to let her drink or buy anything.

Re: Serious question

• I hope the answer is yes. 

(5, 3, 1 they've all been there at least once)

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2014
    Yes, it's totally fine.  

I would take my kids to the liqour store if it was legal here. 
  • Buffy goes with me (but we have different store laws here--so it's more like a 7-11, not a dedicated alcohol store).
    She used to try to chew on the bottles.  that's a 'no' :-P
  • Pssh, we do it. We tease cashiers that she's more of a Patron girl than mom and dad's Malbec

It's not like you're staying all day with the other barflies babysitting.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I hope so! We went to the liquor store with my parents all the time as kids and LOVED it because they had smaller carts and lollipops behind the register. :)
  • They just can't touch anything that you end up buying.
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    We grew up in a "dry" part of town, and I don't remember going to a liquor store or even a carryout.  I do remember being surprised when I went to college that they sold alcohol at CVS in Indiana.  (Which they eventually started doing in Ohio).
    I'm not confident in my ability to determine what is "appropriate" - - we take our kid to places that are more bar then restaurant and have been on the receiving end of disapproving side eye many a time.
  • Just leave them in the car. But make sure to crack a window.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I need to hear more about this pineapple infused stuff!!!!

We used to go to Indy for the cheap prices.  ahhhh college.

• The only time I care about a kid being in a more "bar" type situation is when the parents side eye me for cursing or something (of course, our town is 100% non-smoking in public places now).  
  • I care about a kid being in a bar when it's doing that shriek thing that the young ones do.
  • My kid behaves in public* and we don't make a big deal about cursing.  It's all good.  And Kuus, we've never allowed the shrieking thing. I hate that.  We also don't let her run around, throw food, or in general act like a monkey.  Our expectations are clear AND we were lucky to have a good kid.

*At home is another story.
  • So there is a way to stop kids from doing that shrieking thing?  I had no idea, since so many mothers say that there isn't, and that those bloodcurdling screams are just something everyone should have to endure always.
  • Either of my kids get noisy and we are outta there. Since DD is a baby, it usually means she's tired/hungry/changed and I really don't want to deal with that in a public setting.

And to answer the initial question, I have taken my kids to buy alcohol. 
  • late to the party, but unless the liquor store employees give you a tough time, I don't see why not. We've taken Wolverine more than once, and they sell wine/beer in grocery stores and even gas stations, here. 

I took Wolverine grocery shopping with me last week, and it turned into a lesson on why Mommy was getting the white wine, and not the red wine. That's important for a 3yo to understand. We also had a conversation about the skeleton liking wine, which the employees found very cute and confusing. (She's currently obsessed with "The Last Unicorn" which has an alcoholic skeleton.)

• I can't make the child stop the shrieking thing (which she doesn't do often)...but we leave.  (which doesn't mean I always hit the door as quickly as I ought.  Sometimes the crappy paraphernalia of parenting takes me 5 minutes to grab and I have to settle up a tab, etc--and usually the kiddo and I are out alone so unfortunately, you're stuck with us until I CAN leave--but I'm generally trying)

Since, generally speaking, she likes being places and is unhappy that we leave.  So "That is ENOUGH.  If you keep doing that, we are leaving" is effective, because she knows I will take her screamy little ass out of there and she doesn't WANT to leave.
  • (although, if she DOES want to leave, that's another story.  It means the screechy noise lasts until we leave)
  • Can't you use operant conditioning on them or something?  I'm not saying that there should be shock collars for children, but... maybe?
  • Can't you use operant conditioning on them or something?  I'm not saying that there should be shock collars for children, but... maybe?
    I think my mom did this on us. We grew up in a time in the South where you could wail on your kids in public, so she would give us a specific look then spank, and after like two or three times, she would just shoot the look and we'd be like 'oh fuck' and shut up immediately.

So it was kinda like a shock collar.

(Also she'll still shoot the look if she's feeling bitchy and vindictive. It doesn't matter that little sister and I are 24 and 28.)

I think my mom did this on us. We grew up in a time in the South where you could wail on your kids in public, so she would give us a specific look then spank, and after like two or three times, she would just shoot the look and we'd be like 'oh fuck' and shut up immediately.

(Also she'll still shoot the look if she's feeling bitchy and vindictive. It doesn't matter that little sister and I are 24 and 28.)
    This is more or less our method, minus the beating.  We just haven't tolerated shrieking, screeching, other obnoxious kid stuff from day one.  (I'm not saying we're perfect parents or are experts, I think a part of it is luck with our child's personality.)

• AuntFlo said:
    Can't you use operant conditioning on them or something?  I'm not saying that there should be shock collars for children, but... maybe?

This is more or less our method, minus the beating.  We just haven't tolerated shrieking, screeching, other obnoxious kid stuff from day one.  (I'm not saying we're perfect parents or are experts, I think a part of it is luck with our child's personality.)
    @AuntFlo I think that's the main thing.  The kids learn what you accept and what you don't.   My family knew after watching my brother and sister-in-law 'raise' their dog, that their child was going to have almost no boundries and be a 'handful.'  Their dog was never taught not to jump on someone, not to beg, not bark, etc....therefore it did and still does all those things (you have to brace yourself to be pounced on by a 50 lb animal every time you enter their house). 

My nephew, does the same thing - I love him, but he has no discipline.   He'll screech, he'll talk when you're talking, continue screeching, and other things.   He has grown out of somethings that really bothered me (like hitting his mom without repercussions - my sister in law doesn't like to say no to him) and kicking because my parents and I won't tolerate it, but it's sometimes hard to comprehend the wild child he is when my brother and I were NEVER allowed to do anything like what he gets away with now. 
  • To be fair some of it is age.  My 5 yo doesn't shriek.  My almost 3 yo has had some shreiky tantrums in the play area at the mall because she didn't follow the rules.  I'm sure the dad next to her didn't like it, but we were in a kid place shit happens.  I'm not without fault in some of my decision making when it comes to punishment.  She had a timeout right outside Aldi last year.  I figured it was better to let her scream outside instead of taking it in.  That was the last time it happened though.

• AuntFlo said:
    Can't you use operant conditioning on them or something?  I'm not saying that there should be shock collars for children, but... maybe?

That's pretty much it. Usually a *look* is enough, but if not, a time out is usually sufficient. (e.g. one of us will take her outside for 2-3 minutes - if she's going to throw a tantrum, she's not doing it in the store/restaurant.) 

We're fortunate that she is fairly well-behaved in public. At the same time, she's 3, and is going to misbehave on occasion. I think it's a question of addressing it, making it clear that it's not acceptable, and showing that there is a consequence.

• When I was a SAHM, I took my daughter into the liquor store with me. Whatever. I had no choice and I wanted some darn wine for the evening. ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards