Moms and Maids
Options

Dress style for heavy chested BM's

I have 4 ladies standing up with me, 3 of being heavy chested and a little on the curvier side...  I have no idea what kind of style dress would suit them best.  I know they mentioned that be heavy chested a strapless dress isn't the best for them.  I just want to make sure I can find a style dress and type of material that will suit and flatter them and make them feel gorgeous.  Do any of you have any suggestions?  I know that they will obviously know what works best for their bodies, but I don't want them to feel uncomfortable saying they don't like the way the fabric fits, when my MOH is standing there wearing a dress she loves that is made of said fabric.  (Speaking from experience, it already happened.)  I guess I'm just trying to do my research first so that I can go in as Bride and say "I want this type of fabric, find me dresses." in hopes to avoid any conflict.  

On the other hand, my MOH is more on the petite side.  She's shorter, smaller chested, with wide hips and "Man Calfs" as she likes to call them.

I'm considering have the BM's wear shorter dresses, while having the MOH wear a long dress.  But I feel they should all at least wear a dress of the same material.  

Do any of you have any suggestions in this departement?  At the end of the day, I just want my ladies to feel beautiful and confident.  Thanks gals!

Re: Dress style for heavy chested BM's

• Options
    schreefel said:
    I have 4 ladies standing up with me, 3 of being heavy chested and a little on the curvier side...  I have no idea what kind of style dress would suit them best.  I know they mentioned that be heavy chested a strapless dress isn't the best for them.  I just want to make sure I can find a style dress and type of material that will suit and flatter them and make them feel gorgeous.  Do any of you have any suggestions?  I know that they will obviously know what works best for their bodies, but I don't want them to feel uncomfortable saying they don't like the way the fabric fits, when my MOH is standing there wearing a dress she loves that is made of said fabric.  (Speaking from experience, it already happened.)  I guess I'm just trying to do my research first so that I can go in as Bride and say "I want this type of fabric, find me dresses." in hopes to avoid any conflict.  

On the other hand, my MOH is more on the petite side.  She's shorter, smaller chested, with wide hips and "Man Calfs" as she likes to call them.

I'm considering have the BM's wear shorter dresses, while having the MOH wear a long dress.  But I feel they should all at least wear a dress of the same material.  

Do any of you have any suggestions in this departement?  At the end of the day, I just want my ladies to feel beautiful and confident.  Thanks gals!
    The most important thing to me is how the dress is structured.  I don't think the fabric will matter so much as long as it's constructed well.  I prefer to have a very sturdy strap as well, I hate spaghetti straps.  I would pick a designer and color that you like, then try to see each fabric in person to finalize which fabric you want.
  • Options
    Would you consider selecting a color and length of gown, (and possibly a fabric),  and letting your BM's select their own dress choice?  

My daughter had a diverse bridal party.  The girls ranged in height from 5'0 to 6'0, and they ranged in sizes from 2 to 24.  Some girls were of average bust line and 2 were very busty.  They were asked to find a short black dress in a particular fabric.  In the end I think the girls wore 3 different necklines.  One girl struggled with the fabric choice and found it, and the selection of dresses at the shop, not to her liking at all.  (My daughter later discovered an underlying issue, but that is not relevant here.)   My daughter told her to find any dress she felt gorgeous in and not worry about the fabric. 

The wedding went on without a hitch.  No photo was ruined.  No friendships were compromised.  Would you be willing to consider that?

• Options
    Like pp said the structure of the dress is what matters. Look for dresses that have built in boning.  That will help a lot.   I would also suggest that you avoid any dresses that have a lot of decoration or excess fabric in the chest area.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think letting them choose their own in your color choice would work best. Depending on body shape, some women think an empire waist looks most flattering bit it always made me look pregnant. Finding one dress style that's flattering on everyone may be impossible. However, if you do pick instead of them picking, my biggest advise is to get something with sleeves or straps wide enough to wear a regular bra (and be aware some larger bras have wider straps themselves). If the girls don't own a strapless or convertible bra already, getting a supportive one in larger cup sizes often easily costs over $100
  • Options
    I don't think the fabric matters terribly much, it's the quality of the fabric, and the style of dress that matters. Personally, as a large chested woman, I almost always wear a 1950s style tee dress to everything, and I really suit them. But its very personal, and not just to do with your chest size.

I think as PPs have said, you would be best to ask your bridesmaids to find a dress in a certain colour, and a certain length, and then basically leave them to it. The will find dresses that they look gorgeous in, that they can afford, and that they love.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Make sure they can wear a regular bra with it, so no halter, strapless, one-shoulder or spaghetti strap styles. But the easiest thing is to choose a color and let them pick a dress that they like.
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Ditto PPs - letting them pick any dress they like in a color of your choice is the safest bet.  If you don't want to go that route, at least keep in mind that strapless, one-shoulder, and spaghetti strap styles are not good choices on busty women.  Any style that allows them to wear their regular bras are best.
  • Options
    I'd also recommend picking a color and length then let your BM's pick their own dresses. My BM's vary in height and size, and they've all been able to find a dress that they like and are happy in.

Anniversary
  • Options

I suggest trying on all different styles to see what works best! All of my bridesmaids big boobs and we were actually surprised we found an amazing strapless dress at davids bridal that they all look amazing in! Nobody will be spilling out and in my sisters words she said the chest was "locked and loaded" hahah! Sometimes I think it more about the undergarments than the actual dress :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Thank you ladies!  This has all been very helpful!  
  • Options
    http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Satin-Pleated-Bodice-Ball-Gown-F15554_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

I just posted this in another thread.  I let my bridesmaids pick their own dress style and both of the ones with larger chests chose this one.  One was initially afraid that a strapless dress wouldn't work because she is a DD, but loved it and really felt comfortable in it.  The alterations department said they can also add straps to it.  And the cinched waste really plays up an hour glass figure.  You might want to check out something like this.
  • Options
    Speaking as a busty lady myself, I would like to stay away from strapless, spaghetti straps (my bras have wide straps that I don't want showing), and deep necklines (I usually have to layer a lot of my shirts so that I don't feel like Tits Mcgee).  When I wear skirts and dresses, I like ones that go away from the body to sort of even things out.  
  • Options

i am large chested, and i will buy almost any dress that allows me to wear my normal bra underneath it.  those are my favorite.  my wedding gown is strapless, but there is basically a fortress built into it so it is very supportive. 

with different body tyes, it's usually best to suggest a color and fabric (and possibly designer) and then let each girl pick their own style within those parameters.  that's what i wound up doing.

• Options
    My MOH is very large chested. She found a dress at BD that she loved. It had kind of a built in bra (with bra hook in the back) so she didn't even have to wear a bra with it. http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Strapless-Chiffon-Dress-with-Layered-Skirt-F14169_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-Short-Bridesmaid-Dresses
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First off you're an awesome bride for caring about this!
    1) I agree it's not the material it's the structure/construction/design of the dress that makes a good dress fit
    2) If you want a certain material go for it- if you're open to material difference but same colors go for that, have them select style
    3) sounds like the long/shorter dresses could work (I think tea length works best for short short)
    4) for my BFF's wedding I was so happy when she gave me a fabric swatch and a business card for a seamstress... I designed my own dress and the seamstress made it from that fabric (I've even worn the dress again!) ($200, 100% silk!) 
    5) My bridesmaids are every possible shape, height and busty-ness with the most busty being a 32G.., the least 32A, and some around 34/6C... I found a fantastic cocktail dress at a BCBG that is a boatneck and backless (I love the dress and even bought it in a different color for myself) to resolve the backless some are doing what they want (sticky bras which I don't understand but my size doesn't allow me to understand), others are adding a lacy panel so they can wear a regular nude bra underneath - each BM gets to be comfy in what they want, and no one's boobies will be falling out! Either way ask your BMs... I know most of mine said they'd prefer straps, and no one wanted spaghetti straps.

From,
    36DDD, size 10 pants (typically LOL) average height bride...
  • Options
    My bridesmaids are across the spectrum too in size, shape, and even age.  

We are all (I only have 3) going together on the same day and they are picking out their dresses. Color is chosen the rest we will finalize on arrival based on what they have.  We'll see how they look together and then they can all order them or even find them on the rack if that works.  This addresses budget and fit in one fell swoop. We all think we have agreed on a length (knee) but MOH might go a little longer. 

My MOH was ecstatic when I told her that I didn't care about shoes either.. black in any style that she was comfortable in.  the last wedding she was in she had to wear a yellow dress and yellow died to match shoes.. neither of which she has touched since. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Agree with PPs, I would let them pick what they're most comfortable in. I have 4 girls ranging from 5'2 and 85 pounds to 6' with a huge chest, there's just no way the same dress would look good on all of them. I picked a color, length and designer and let them pick what they felt best in. They'll still look great together, but not exactly the same.
  • Options
    i have a similar dilemma, in reverse ... my girls are varying sizes and heights, one very heavy chested, one likely to be pregnant, 2 teens and one adult who are very slim and under 5' 3" ... as it turns out, the tallest heavies-chested gal LOVES to wear strapless dresses, tops, etc.  she is also the last to buy her dress. the others have picked varying styles (given the color and length, any style they want), only one chose strapless (my 14 year old step daughter) .... the other ladies have gotten wind of the fact that the other BM will most likely pick something strapless, and they have suggested to me that I tell her strapless is a No, because of her chest size, that my preference is for a tank or spagetti strap style. although now that my step-daughters dress is strapless, that's not going to hold much truth. honestly, i know her and i'm used to her bust being front and center in any pics of her. that's just her .... the question is, do i want that to be the awkward stand out in my bridal party pics? i dont want to offend anyone, most of all my friends/ BMs/ family .... by either saying she cant, or by saying she can, you know? ........  any suggestions?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We're going in a few weeks to choose dresses - same designer, same color/fabric, same length. My bustiest bridesmaid said so far this is at the top of her short list to try on. Modest neckline, substantial straps, flattering waistline.

• Options
    I'm fairly large-chested too, and wouldn't be comfortable in a strapless, one-shoulder, spaghetti strap, or really low cut dress.  It might work out best if you choose a color and fabric, but let each one pick the style they feel most comfortable in.
  • Options
    I'd say scoop neck/boatneck.  Something where large displays of cleavage won't be an issue.  Some people are ok with that, but you don't want to put someone who isn't in that position!

I wore a dress similar in style to this (found on google images) in my sister's wedding.  I'm NOT large busted, but I think the neckline could work for both:  http://www.rainingblossoms.com/all-bridal-party-dresses/5012-taffeta-scoop-neckline-a-line-vintage-bridesmaid-dress-with-3-dimensional-flowers.html

• Options
    I cracked up as I read this! My best friend and I both have very large breasts, so for her wedding she knew it was important to be comfortable, even though we both wanted the BMs dresses to be sweet heart (because let's be honest, when can I ever go strapless?) so we went to a very expensive shop and I got an amazing (albeit hideous) strapless bra with amazing support. The problem was... When I tried on the dress at DB they didn't have my size. The 6 was too small, and the 10 too big... So we ordered the 8 thinking it would fit. Well, there were issues with shipping so the dress didn't come in until a couple of weeks before the wedding and while it fit my waist and hips to a T, it was very tight in the chest. There wasn't enough fabric or time to alter is correctly, so I spent the entire day barely able to breathe and with my boobs basically up to my chin! I love her and didn't care, but it was so funny me dancing with our pastor at the reception all worried my dress would just explode in front of him! My advice... Whatever style you go with... Make sure they order their dresses with PLENTY of time to fix them if something like this happens...
  • Options
    No ones going to really notice, outside of you and the girls, that the material is the same. No one. At the end of the day these are your friends that you love and would hate to make uncomfortable. Have them send u pics of a few different dresses they like or cut them all a break and choose the color and suggest a detail (long, short, low cut, sleeves, etcetera) and let them find their own dress, allowing you veto power. It saves everyone the headache and ensures you and them are comfortable fit wise, color wise, and money wise.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards