Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

Save the Dates?

Hi All!  I just got engaged a few weeks ago, and we are in the process of planning a destination wedding (to mexico) - we plan on going April/May of 2015.  My travel agent informed me that rates for 2015 will not be out until likely June or July of this year.  What is the etiquette of letting people know ahead of time, so that they can start saving? By the time we choose the resort in June/July and send out invitations, it doesn't seem like a lot of time to let people know.  Do people ever send a save the date - that just has the month they are planning on going, so they can at least start to save if needed?  Any insight would be really helpful...thanks!

Re: Save the Dates?

• Options
    I would think that you would get better rates by booking now instead of in a few months. We have already booked our wedding for May 15 2015. We are unable to get our flights now but the hotels already have rates established.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    saric83saric83 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2014
    I would still send the save-the-dates now and just make a wedding website and put the address on the STD, and then post on the website when rates will be available and that you'll post on the site as soon as they are.
  • Options
    Hi Im doing a destination wedding as well. What I have found is that you should be sending them out 8-10 months out ahead a time to inform people of your wedding. Make sure you put the actual date of the wedding (a friend of ours sent save the dates and just put the month) which doesnt really help people. Then typically you want to send the invitations out 6months ahead of the wedding as this is when people typically book their airfare, hotel, etc. Hope that helps and good luck!
  • Options
    We are having our wedding in Mexico in Sept of 2015 and we were able to get rates so I would check with another travel agent. We just booked the date this week and I was wondering if it is too early to send save the dates?? I want up give people enough time to save and plan plus our wedding website will be set up soon. Is it ever too early to send a save the date??
  • Options
    @ Latillo, if you send out the save the dates earlier make sure you have your wedding website established, because it will provide your guests with all the necessary details they will need
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards