Getting in Shape

Dress shopping before goal weight

I was wondering if anyone has experience to share about dress shopping while still having weight to lose.

I am about 7 months out from my wedding and need to purchase a dress ASAP. I've lost 15 pounds so far, and have another 15 to lose before the wedding. I'm wondering if there are any tips out there on how to have a good dress shopping experience and finding one that will suit me after i've lost the weight.

Re: Dress shopping before goal weight

• The biggest thing that people say is buy for the body that you have NOW.  Buy for your current size.  It's much easier to take a dress in than out (I promise that I'm not trying to be a pessimist!) 

I also recommend choosing a dress that makes you feel good/ like a bride/ however you want to feel in your dress; don't fall into the trap of trying to find a dress that will look good when you lose X lbs.

Sorry I don't have much else to offer.. good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was wondering if anyone has experience to share about dress shopping while still having weight to lose.

I am about 7 months out from my wedding and need to purchase a dress ASAP. I've lost 15 pounds so far, and have another 15 to lose before the wedding. I'm wondering if there are any tips out there on how to have a good dress shopping experience and finding one that will suit me after i've lost the weight.
    @sharibenson

Buy a dress for the body / weight you are now and have it taken in if you need to. Please please don't buy for the weight you think / want to be. You are going to run into issues if you do that
  • First of all, congratulations on your 15-lb weight loss so far! That is a huge achievement -- you should be seriously proud of yourself. Way to go!

I still have some weight loss and toning to accomplish before my November wedding, as well, but I have already purchased my dress. I purchased it a size larger, knowing that I wouldn't be able to create MORE dress but could always take dress away if I lost enough.

To echo some of the other replies, try not to put a ton of pressure on yourself to have someone else's body. While the "sheath" look would look fantastic on one of my friends, I knew that to be comfortable I needed to go with more of an A-line that flows away from my hips. You will look gorgeous in anything you wear! Just try to make the most of the fun that is dress shopping. :)
  • I'm in the same boat.  I've lost 20 so far and my wedding is in September so I wasn't really sure what to do.  Talk to your bridal consultant.  They deal with this situation all the time.  Mine told me that the dress I picked could be taken in up to 4 sizes, and that if I opted for a lace up back instead of buttons I could adjust another 2 inches or so.  

Bottom line: buy a dress for the body you have now.  And congrats on your loss!
    photo a9462148-4aa2-44d9-90ce-7f8b4d94b393_zps20ae9070.jpg
  • A big thing to consider is where you lose your weight. I found my dress incredibly early compared to when my wedding is, and while we were measuring me the bridal consultant asked about weight loss ( i had already brought it up). Turns out that for me, even if I lost a ton of weight I would still need the same size dress that would fit me today because my bust size doesn't change when I lose weight. The size we ordered for my wedding dress is the same size prom dress I had 10+ years ago, even though I've gained 30 lbs over that time. The size smaller's bust measurements were 2 inches smaller than the size I got, so even a little weight loss in the bust wouldn't be enough to go down a size.
  • I would recommend being upfront with the store associates. I bought my dress 4 months ago for my body then and have lost 20 lbs since (woo!). I plan to lose another 25-30 before my September wedding, though I plan to have the vast majority of that done before I go to be fitted in July. I was very candid with the women I bought my dress from and made sure that the dress I bought could be taken in a few sizes if necessary. Obviously it will cost me more in alterations, but it's something I am willing to pay for.

HOWEVER, all the PPs are right; buy the dress for the body you have now. I think it's easier and more motivational to say to yourself "I will make them take this dress in!!" than "I need to loose x lbs to fit into my dress".

Best of luck!
  • @sharibenson

Congrats on the weight you've lost already- do you mind me asking what weight loss technique you're using? Thanks!
  • Best advice as I just bought and have about 15 more lbs to go myself.

-Buy for your body type now.
    -Be upfront with your consultant
    -LOVE your body now! 
    -Corsets are wonderful! A corset back leaves room for smaller, larger, you name it. 

I need to tighten up and lose - but I found a dress that just made me feel beautiful now. And you'll find it. So don't settle and say "well this one will work when I lose my weight." We are all our worst enemies - don't let you get in the way! 
  • I actually just bought my dress, but I have 2 years until my wedding. You want to buy the size you are NOW because it's much easier to take in a dress than let out. I plan on losing a couple dress sizes now until then, but ordered for my current size because I might not lose the sizes I want. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • sharibensonsharibenson member
    First Comment
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the advice everyone! 

I bought my dress this past weekend!!  After my first dress shopping experience that did not go well (Davids Bridal), I found the perfect dress at Vows. 

It fits me as I am now, a little snugly but zips and buttons up just fine. This way with some toning it will fit perfectly and anything I lose will just be a bonus. Again, thanks for the tips ladies!

To lose the weight, I have been exercising in the mornings and eating healthier/smaller portions and actually snacking more than I used to. I make frequent trips to the grocery store to make sure there are always healthy snacks around, and am not drinking wine on the weeknights (which is especially tough Mondays which used to be Wine/Bachelor night lol). If I want something sweet I have it in a small portion when I want. 

For me, as hard as it is, I have to work out in the mornings. Things always come up at night, working late, plans with the girls, wedding planning with the fiance, my crazy rationalizations of why I don't have to work out after a long day to name a few.

I'm really looking forward to when I hit my goal weight and can just maintain, anyone else feel like trying lose for your wedding has made your social life a bit more boring lol Hopefully when the weather warms up in Boston there will be more social activities that don't involve going out to eat and drink with my friends!

• ^Make those social activities! We're probably going to get some friends together to join a beach volleyball league this summer! While it's still drinking and socializing for many - it's a wonderful way to get out and about! Do walks for your girls nights to talk instead of sitting around a bottle of wine talking and ordering appetizers. Make time for taking nieces/nephews/little cousins/friends with kids to the park. Trust me - a small child will run you in circles for hours. You'll come up with ideas! Good luck - sounds like you found an amazing dress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards