Just Engaged and Proposals

2015 wedding date

My wedding date is exactly 696 days away from today! We were just engaged over a month ago and wanted to get the date and venue taken care of ASAP. Do we announce the date to friends and family? Facebook? What is the proper etiquette when it comes to announcing? We are planning to do save the dates and we know that those don't get sent out for quite awhile. Maybe I am just getting ahead of myself? Help and advice please!! :)

Re: 2015 wedding date

• Lol I know how you feel - We got engaged in September and our wedding will be in May 2015. It is really up to you, and I'm not sure what the exact etiquette is, but I would only tell close family and friends what my date is, as well as my bridal party. Anyone else that is invited to the wedding, I would tell them if they ask. I feel that announcing it on FB might bring unwanted attention from people you would not want to invite lol. I'm personally waiting until the save the dates to tell everyone else.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• I would let for now just your parents know.  A lot can happen in two years and if you tell people now they might expect to be invited.  But if casually comes up in conversation then its ok to mention it.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people you're engaged if you're engaged. You shouldn't have to keep it a secret. When they start asking questions, just tell them the wedding is 2 years away and you haven't started planning anything yet. Then change the subject. 

As for how to announce, I'm no help. My husband proposed to me by changing our FB statuses to engaged while I was asleep one night. So other people knew before I even did. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I got engaged in September too and am also waiting until Spring 2015... we set a date, booked a venue, etc. but obviously aren't sending out save the dates or anything yet. If people ask about a date, we tell them. It's so exciting that I couldn't help but pick a date and try to get the ball rolling - we didn't post it officially on Facebook, I posted that we picked a venue and a date but when people asked for specifics I just didn't reply :) haha the ones who need to know (parents, immediate family, etc) know the date, but everyone else can wait for their Save the Date! Some people might disagree with telling anyone a date this far in advance, but I couldn't help the excitement!! You do what feels right to you :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I don't think you need to worry too much about that yet. I wouldn't announce it on facebook because people who might not be invited could see it and that's just awkward. I try leave all wedding stuff off facebook as much as possible.

It's still quite far away, why not just tell people when they ask? and maybe the VIPs that might need to travel and save money you could tell?
  • We got engaged in mid-August and a couple of weeks ago we officially set our 2015 wedding date, and we booked our venue and photographer. For the most part, if people ask if we have a date, we tell them. But the only people we really announced it to so far have been family and close friends. I expect in early 2014 we'll officially announce it. There will be people traveling, and I want to be able to give them as much notice as possible.

The Emerald Bride - My Wedding Blog
  • We got engaged in mid-August and a couple of weeks ago we officially set our 2015 wedding date, and we booked our venue and photographer. For the most part, if people ask if we have a date, we tell them. But the only people we really announced it to so far have been family and close friends. I expect in early 2014 we'll officially announce it. There will be people traveling, and I want to be able to give them as much notice as possible.

• I just changed my status to "Engaged" on facebook , after telling those closest to me first. Funny story, I accidentally made my MOH cry in the middle of Denny's.  I was so excited I immediately texted her the news, and she just started crying happy tears right then and there.   

When people ask me when the wedding date is, I tell them October 2015, but I haven't really made any announcements.  I feel like this early on, the only people that really care are the ones who ask. I don't really expect anyone to get super excited about a wedding that's not happening until next year, I'll send out save the dates when it's close enough to the wedding.
  • My fiance proposed before we had plans with family and friends a couple weeks ago (February 15), so they all knew throughout the evening. I then called my grandparents, and sent an email to other family members. The next day I told my close friends, or those that I would have rather found out directly from me versus through people and/or social media. I changed my Facebook status after I knew all family members and close friends knew.
    We are planning a spring 2015 wedding, and I don't think I'll announce that on Facebook once the date is actually selected. I agree with another poster that it may get some people to assume that they would be invited (reception, we are having a family only wedding). But, if someone asked, I would tell them.
  • FI and I just got engaged on Saturday, but already knew that we want a may 2015 wedding before I go back to school and before my sister and BIL get restationed and he goes underway for 3 months. I changed my status and we put up a picture, but I don't plan on posting anything wedding related publicly. I agree with PPs that it might make people think they're getting an invite when they're not. If people ask and you want to, let them know. Otherwise I wouldn't announce the date until you actually send your stds
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards