Connecticut

Flower Farms to Save Money?

I inquired with a few florists for estimates and received anywhere from $1500-$2500.
I would like to have flowers but when I look at the outlining in prices, I'm thinking it's time to get creative and that only goes as far with the center pieces with using non-floral arrangements. But I can't seem to get creative in regards to bouquets and ceremony decorations.
I'm wondering if anyone has used a local farmer or maybe BJ's just for the bouquets and a few decorations. I'm open to other suggestions. I prefer the most ready or easiest DIY tips out there as hotel is about 35-40 mins from the venue (ceremony and reception are the same place). Or maybe I should just suck it up and use the florist for what I can't do?
Thanks.

Re: Flower Farms to Save Money?

• I've heard that Whole Foods can be pretty reasonable when it comes to cost, especially compared to traditional florists. I think you would have to put together your own arrangements, but I'm not certain of that.
  • Check out Melissa at Stylish Blooms. She has extremely reasonable prices. 

If you use a BJs you just buy flowers and have to arrange them yourself. Do you have time to do that the day before your wedding? Do you have a place to store the flowers (they need to be kept in a certain temperature until they're ready to be displayed)? 
  • I'm using Stop & Shop in West Hartford (the one on N. Main Street). They will deliver (use a courier). For 4 BMs, 7 groom(smen) corsages, 4 mom/grandmoms, and 42 single stem blooms (mums), it's about $600. Her name is Jen and does beauitful work! Two girls that I know through work used her and it was gorgeous. She has tons of pictures of her work and was so surprised that it was that good for S&S!
    October 2014 Brides - July Siggy Challenge: Cakes
  • Sam's Club has some nice wedding packages online as well. Worth checking out.

• Just to add a little more information I am an out of state bride (NYC) getting married in Haddam but will be staying in Hartford.I  spoke to Whole Foods (Glastonbury) briefly- they don't deliver but savings still might be worth it. I'll see if I can talk to them in person tomorrow to get more details.

I would like to say I do have time to arrange flowers the day before but you never know what can change. My maid of honor did volunteer to assist in arranging & creating center pieces (I swear I didn't ask lol she's awesome). In terms of storing, the groom does have family in Manchester & Glastonbury, I was told flowers need to be store in a cool place, like the cellar?
    Unfortunately Melissa at Stylish Blooms was booked for my wedding weekend (9/7/14).

Jenny-I'm not familiar with the area, is it the one on 505 North Main Street? Thank you for the suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards